• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Stays

MensQE

Reaction score
I bet if you have a pace maker they would be the last pair you would ever need. :D
I'm just kidding they seem like a cool idea although I feel like the magnets could be added to any metal collar stays.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a glass tube of metal collar stays for very little from a seller on Amazon. I really like them because they can be bent slightly if needed.

I like the idea of the ones with the magnets for the times when I dont wear a tie and dont have a button down collar. I may end up trying to get some small magnets and use the collar stays I have now though instead of spending $40 on a set of 6. My metal stays cost me $12 for 12 sets.

Last edited:

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Wurkin Stiff magnetic ones but for some reason I only reserve them for special occasions. The rest of the time, I struggle with mismatched stays, missing stays, etc. I don't know why. I just throw them all in a small bag and then spend five minutes each time I put on a shirt to find the right size and matching pair. It's not like I can't afford to get proper stays. Enough with this ****. I just ordered a brass set from ebay. I am going home tonight and getting rid of the junk ones from Express and other shirts I've collected over the years.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

1. I like the metal ones because you can bend them slightly to give the collars a nice roll that holds their shape

2. stick the rounded end in first - NOT the pointed end - this will help preserve the collars of your shirt because the pointed part can eventually wear holes/tears at the collar tips

3. We have nice steel ones on eHABERDASHER.com! :slayer:

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
The white ones - the thicker kind that don't bend extremely easily - are the way to go in my opinion. Metal and fabrics should never go together.

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
I mostly use brass stays since they are more firm and hold up better then the plastic ones. I get mine from Jos A Banks or Brooks Brothers when they run half off or buy one get one sales. It is also important to remember to take them out when having your shirts laundered.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the metal (I prefer the polished brass rather than steel or silver) ones are much better than the plastic ones. Having said that, when traveling, the metal ones can be a real pain. First, you cannot use them at the airport because they will set off the metal detector every time. Even putting them in your luggage can be a problem because, some significant fraction of the time, the screener will notice them and then your bag gets unpacked until they can verify that your collar stays are, in fact, collar stays. When I bring metal ones, I have taken to keeping them in the plastic bag with the liquids as it avoids having my bag searched.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics