1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Collar Stays

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by effers, May 28, 2011.

1. ancdmd

ancdmd Active Member

I've always used plastic but recently switched to metal ones from eBay. I feel like the metal ones weigh the collar down more though, so I switched back to plastic. Has anyone else noticed if their metal stays cause the collars to not stand up as easily?

2. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

I too mostly used the plastics and never the metal ones.

3. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

I use the brass ones that come free with CT shirts. They do the job perfectly well. As lovely as I'm sure the MOP ones are, I'm not prepared to spend much on something that's never seen.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

+1

5. lordkenyon

lordkenyon New Member

Anyone had issues with the metal ones through airport security? I travel significantly for work and wouldn't want to mess with taking them in/out for the TSAs benefit. Getting tired of messing with the plastic ones though.

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I only use metal collar stays and travel all the time. Never been an issue, neither in my luggage nor as I was scanned. You'll be fine.

7. porkbellies

porkbellies Member

It's funny you mention this. I actually had the opposite of a problem...the TSA lady complimented me on my choice of collar stays after having them X-rayed my bag. I've never had an issue with metal detectors while in my shirt.

I tend to lose them every so often, but I can't stand the bend and flex of plastic. I like my collars to look crisp. I usually buy about one set of these (http://www.lastcall.com/p/Neiman-Ma...6152229-2&ecid=LCCIShopping&ncx=n&uEm=%%CSE%% ) every year or two.

8. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Senior member Affiliate Vendor

' The trick is to bend the metal ones slightly - especially crucial when not wearing a tie

9. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

+1 ... it allows me to a preferred "collar roll" or how it stands ....

10. DoctorQuality

DoctorQuality Member

At $6/pr I do not believe I am spending much.

http://tinyurl.com/KimSonMoPStays

11. DoctorQuality

DoctorQuality Member

Notice that in the picture of the Neiman-Marcus stays, you can see the same problem I described regarding the Jos. A Bank stays. Some are too long to be usable (unless your collars are gangster-length). While others are too short to be usable; they won't stiffen the entire collar and also you'll have trouble extracting them from the collar.

On the other hand, KimSon makes to measure for $3 per stay.

12. DoctorQuality

DoctorQuality Member

Notice that in the picture of the Neiman-Marcus stays, you can see the same problem I described regarding the Jos. A Bank stays. Some are too long to be usable (unless your collars are gangster-length). While others are too short to be usable; they won't stiffen the entire collar and also you'll have trouble extracting them from the collar.

On the other hand, KimSon makes to measure for $3 per stay.

13. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

I've tried Jos. A Bank too and I'd get short ones as well.