• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CMT Custom Ties

gopherblue

Reaction score
I just returned from a trip to Japan, where I picked up 1.5 meters of a floral "Hello Kitty" Liberty of London cotton fabric that I'd like to make into one or more ties (including a bowtie if more than one tie) and maybe a pocket square (don't worry--I will never wear the pocket square with the tie).

Any suggestions on where to have custom ties made, on a CMT basis? I am in NYC, so local would be most convenient, but happy to send out to Hober or another maker if that would be a better choice.

Also, I am not sure which fold-type of tie is best--I typically wear standard 8cm bladed ties from Drakes. Any suggestions?

Finally, the fabric is Liberty "Tana lawn" 100% cotton--picture below--will this sort of material be ok for ties? (Obviously spring/summer, based on the material and print.)

Thanks!
Goph

Last edited:

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hermès did a collaboration with Liberty a couple of years back.

They also used a "Tana Lawn" floral cotton which actually looked very similar to the one in your post.

The tie was a 3-fold construction and produced a woefully flat and lifeless knot.

I would wait to see what the tie makers say but I would say that 3 fold probably isn't the way to go.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tiecrafters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads