• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cloning Shirts

boozingalcoholic

Reaction score
So I just ordered my first shirt from tailorstore and I got to thinking "Maybe I could clone a BoO shirt than pay the outrageous retail!!"

The shirt I ordered from tailorstore was a trial run that I copied from a Jcrew shirt. Before you jump on me, it's honestly the only button up that fits me well sans the collar size. I'm a small in Jcrew but my neck is a 16.5! I don't bother spending real money on shirts since I can't button them all the way up.

I have yet to try on a BoO and I can't find a store here that carries the line. I've only heard of good things about the fit and I'm curious if anyone has tried cloning a BoO either through janzten or tailorstore and how it matches up. For the life of me, I couldn't find a thread on it.

akaidiot

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by boozingalcoholic
So I just ordered my first shirt from tailorstore and I got to thinking "Maybe I could clone a BoO shirt than pay the outrageous retail!!" The shirt I ordered from tailorstore was a trial run that I copied from a Jcrew shirt. Before you jump on me, it's honestly the only button up that fits me well sans the collar size. I'm a small in Jcrew but my neck is a 16.5! I don't bother spending real money on shirts since I can't button them all the way up. I have yet to try on a BoO and I can't find a store here that carries the line. I've only heard of good things about the fit and I'm curious if anyone has tried cloning a BoO either through janzten or tailorstore and how it matches up. For the life of me, I couldn't find a thread on it.
My neck is a 17.5 at minimum so I feel your pain on OTR shirts. I have to go custom on anything I'm buttoning up

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Member, Brian_sd did this with very detailed measurements of a BoO size small with jantzen and was terribly dissapointed not only with fabric and details, but the fit was nowhere close. The back was big, arms were off, hem was weird, collar shape/roll not as good, etc... Unfortunately, garments don't lie flat on the body like they are when you measure them.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chrono, I just searched for posts by Brian SD about BoO and jantzen. was this the thread, or was there another one where he actually posted fit comparison pics?

I've essentially bought into the BoO hype at this point, but am open to other nearly-as-good options for shirts in colors/patterns that I wouldn't be wearing too often...

Brian SD

Reaction score
Chrono already noted all the problems with my BOO copy. Just buy real BOO if you want a BOO shirt.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
wmmk- You'll find with button ups, if you're a person who likes details in fit and dont' just say "this shirt is tight and shorter. must be boo", you'll see that a lot of the brands have pretty subtle differences in fit. I've tried on a range of shirts from boo, flippa k, acne, agnes b, h&m, jcrew, tim hamilton, etc... and they each fit different. It's not just a matter of pit to pit and total length measurements. I still wish i bought this jil shirt i tried on awhile back. It wasn't the same slim as BoO, but it fit really nice. I dunno how to describe it. It was just well cut but different than my other shirts. A good collar is big for me too. It's hard to find shirts with nice collars. For example, i love the collars on my BoO oxford but dislike the one on my BoO shortsleeve shirt. The small collar on my filippa k is nice for a change of pace as is the club collar on my uniqlo x tim hamilton. I hate hate hate the collar on this agnes b shirt but it fits alright and i love the color so i want to see what a tailor can do with the collar. I've heard good things about raf and apc collars but haven't tried on their shirting.

brimley

Reaction score
I think some MC members have sent the actual shirts to Jantzen with good results. I agree that the measurements don't tell the whole story, especially with details like collars, but if you could motivate a tailor to take on the task then I don't think it's unreasonable.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's totally not unreasonable. The tailor I visited in toronto was pretty excited in making a slimmer/high arm holes/etc shirt for me because he usually doesn't get such an order. He based it off the Thom browne BB shirt, but he told me that if I really wanted a boo type shirt I should just buy boo.

I love both my mtm and boo, but the mtm is not boo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads