• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@gusw

You mentioned outfits occasionally looking too contrived regarding their use of color. Or maybe too thought out. Anyway. Is this an example of an outfit that comes across as too thought out (not necessarily in terms of what you were addressing though)?

(I like this)

Last edited:

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think low contrast looks, at least ones that work well, require more thought to work well. They just cut a finer line between succes and failure. So one could argue they feel contrived by the definition of being thought out.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Low contrast is the bomb. When done well tonal outfits are generally easy on the eyes. I agree that it's difficult but would hesitate to say it looks contrived. It seems more incidental.

Matching colors is also easy on the eyes, but because it obviously requires thought it stands out as looking more contrived.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New member@Brovsko (I hope he doesn't mind me using his pic here) has been posting some really nice low contrast stuff lately:

LL

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@gusw

You mentioned outfits occasionally looking too contrived regarding their use of color. Or maybe too thought out. Anyway. Is this an example of an outfit that comes across as too thought out (not necessarily in terms of what you were addressing though)?

(I like this)

I'm not sure I ever used the phrase "too contrived" regarding their use of color but what I was probably referring too was someone piecing together a lot of color and pattern statements simply to get attention (which come across as looking like a broken color wheel or a shredded patchwork quilt) rather than them being aesthetically pleasing. I'm not against the use of colors, including bold colors, but color for the sake of color isn't enough. A truly stylish or fashionable gent understands coordinating colors and which color combinations look best on them.

I also like this photo. I think an outfit of neutrals is rather chic. It is a well put together combination of neutrals (which has been an emerging trend in fashion within the last year or two although it never really goes away). This takes some effort and coordination but it isn't hard. It requires assembling an outfit with the end result in mind and not simply grabbing a new tie. Because it is on trend with fashion it gives the outfit a more contemporary look. (I'm hoping he is wearing some sandy suede derbys:))

I mentioned the other day that the best examples for fashion color inspiration come from Nature. Currently, in the warm, dry California hills around my home I see combinations of all of this outfits colors in the stones, gravel, tree bark, grasses. It looks natural and effortless. These neutrals also remind me of the beach. So, a well coordinated color story gives an easy nature feel rather than a "too contrived" feel IMO.

Last edited:

AdidaSuit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Calm down, kid.

It was a perfectly accurate description: threads go dormant when people don’t post to them. Self-evident.

And your claim that this thread replaces GNAT is just factually incorrect. GNAT was explicitly initiated to encourage newcomers to post, and to do so in a thread where they could count on getting responses from some of SF’s most knowledgeable members. If you read the thread, you’ll learn this. The ‘Lounge’ , on the other hand, was originally the ‘Grad Lounge’, and its intended audience was those whose interests were relatively advanced. Very different constituencies and very different threads. Both important and both useful.

And as for Tweedy, no one’s been more supportive than I have of his efforts, including his work on and in this thread. If you’d read it, you’ll see.

Good grief. Graduate students these days …
GNAT wasn't for newcomers. It was for one attention-whore to write his daily journal on. It was like a sitcom TV show that was sometime funny but definitely not the place where newcomers got their questions answered. If the intent of that GNAT was that, then I think the best thing that could have happened for GNAT happened when that idiot got banned.

Last edited:

LinenMoses

Reaction score
Has anybody looked at the new/redesigned Brioni collection? This new creative director is doing everything Brioni isn't and trying to take the brand into a direction away from its roots as a classic brand. I personally don't own any Brioni myself, but it's presence in classic men's suiting has always been around. I'm curious to see what others here think about the new collection, the cuts of the suits and especially the accessories they've started marketing. Everything looks cheaper and less elegant in my opinion.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ad campaign with Metallica seems like a "Hail Mary" pass at trying to score with a new audience. The designer, O'Shea, says his influence is "70's pimp". Good luck to them.

Wilkes Bashford carried Brioni for as long as I can remember (since the 70's?) along with the SFA main store on 5th. They always had a conservative, edited assortment of Brioni. Their clients looked elegant. But when I saw the brand at other stores 5, 10, 15 years ago, there were odd design touches and fabric selections that, to me, looked far too Las Vegas or Mob and nothing that interested me. I suppose it was up to the individual store buyer to know what to select. But now, I'm really not sure who will buy this look?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads