• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Citizens On Patrol Poll...are we too hard or too soft?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
I will now start reporting all your posts in the hopes you get the banstick.
boxing[1].gif

ffffuuuu.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
compared to purseforum you guys are superb. scratch that. you guys are superb in general

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
All recent bannings I've seen lately have been richly deserved.

Potential exception is the quick timeout for Blackfyre, but frankly he deserved some time in the cooler for just being dumb (see worst poaster thread for evidence). And it was just a timeout. Every once in a while you have to take out the trash. Frankly, you've gone too easy on some. (MS)

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If anything you're a tad too soft. The douchebags generally get enough rope to hang themselves 2 or 3 times, when once would suffice.

Blackfyre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
All recent bannings I've seen lately have been richly deserved.

Potential exception is the quick timeout for Blackfyre, but frankly he deserved some time in the cooler for just being dumb (see worst poaster thread for evidence). And it was just a timeout. Every once in a while you have to take out the trash. Frankly, you've gone too easy on some. (MS)

i thought jon had already been nominated
my bad son

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
If anything you're a tad too soft. The douchebags generally get enough rope to hang themselves 2 or 3 times, when once would suffice.
+1. Also, too soft on the senior members. The SF Cognoscenti get away with WAY too much.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
The douchebags generally get enough rope to hang themselves 2 or 3 times, when once would suffice.
I don't mind giving people enough rope to hang themselves generally. It's pretty rare we deliver a banning to someone who has never done hole-time, then, when the ban-hammer strikes, no one is really surprised. We've pretty much always been like that.
Originally Posted by Rambo
+1. Also, too soft on the senior members. The SF Cognoscenti get away with WAY too much.
As for the cognoscenti...i am increasing scrutiny on all with above 9000 posts effective immediately. Nice move dipshit!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
As for the cognoscenti...i am increasing scrutiny on all with above 9000 posts effective immediately. Nice move dipshit!
View Profile: Matt Total Posts: 9,856
thumbs-up.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I am drastically increasing scrutiny on both of us. Guess who comes off better in that exchange.
biggrin.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
All recent bannings I've seen lately have been richly deserved. Potential exception is the quick timeout for Blackfyre, but frankly he deserved some time in the cooler for just being dumb (see worst poaster thread for evidence). And it was just a timeout. Every once in a while you have to take out the trash. Frankly, you've gone too easy on some. (MS)
iirc, douchiness hasn't typically been a tipping point for banning. Generally the douche gets called out and then starts melting down in public, at which time banning is inevitable (See vanity, bris). That said, Manton and I (respectfully) disagreed a while back as to how the douchiness ought to be dealt with - I felt that the ignore function should be used (liberally), while he considered ignore to be a waste of time, since the attitude tends to be pervasive across the whole forum. I'm coming around to his way of thinking, though, and started to wonder just how many decent members sunk down to the db level because that's what they were reading. I do think that timeouts ought to be handed out more liberally to those who just flame and snark and add nothing of interest or value.
Originally Posted by Rambo
YEAH - I agree. wait, what?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
+1 on giving people over 9k in posts some higher level of scrutiny.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
+1 on giving people over 9k in posts some higher level of scrutiny.

Agree, and to add to that I would like to advocate that those over 20k poasts should be exempt from any sort of scrutiny, at all, whatsoever.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
back to work for a second...so my takeaway from this is that we are perceived as a little left of center.

Far from being a fully representative sample as yet, but about half of you saying 'basically right' and about half saying 'too lenient'...work out some kind of median, and we are sitting a little left of center. I think I can live with that, and thanks for the feedback.

I'm interested in the perception of 'inconsistent'.

Five people have clicked on it - and in some ways I can see an argument for it...it's an anon poll, and I would understand why you would not want to speak up...but I'm interested, and feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post.

Do you think we play favorites with certain members who may or may not be deserving?
Do you think that we have priorities out of whack for punitive measures?
Other areas of inconsistency?

FWIW if I wasnt In The Know, it's probably what I would vote as an outsider looking in. I could particularly see a case for the second there - instant ban-hammer for an SF bump, vs reasonable tolerance for smut...you say '****' in a thread title, you get a week, you talk about punching some ***** in the mouth in a thread, you get 'lol'...so I can see areas of inconsistency over working out which is the greater sin.

I tend to think we go on rampages on various areas of the board at various times (although we do typically give fair warning in trans mod, and i consider trans mod the only thread that every single member should read)...but I could see a case being made there.

Open to other thoughts on it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
sf mods are the most level headed and fair mods around, seriously.

and I still plan to go to saigon soon so I say you're fair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads