• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to dress well in CM without standing out too much

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given recent dicussions on overdressing, the disappearance of ties, etc., I thought we could use a thread of inspiration/discussion for those who want to continue to dress more or less in the CM way, but without looking too dandy and/or stuck up.

NB: By CM I don't mean propriety, decorum, country club-compatible dress, or any of the other paleocon commitments some people insist on in these parts. I just mean (some) classic garments and silhouettes.

As a rough rule, I'd say outfits count if they include a tailored jacket or tailored trousers. Bonus points if both. Also, bonus points for ties.

Here are some examples that I think work: good proportions and colours, some classic tailoring, but not an outfit that will make people wonder why you're so dressed up.

1629811801135.png

Screenshot 2021-08-24 at 15.33.47.png

Screenshot 2021-08-24 at 15.35.20.png

Screenshot 2021-08-24 at 15.36.47.png

Screenshot 2021-08-24 at 15.37.36.png

1629812729402.png

1629812824197.png

1629812992215.png

1629813006431.png

Thoughts? What are some of the general considerations about what works that we can extrapolate from pictures such as those, apart from the well-known ones about high-low dressing?

One that readily comes to mind is that slouchiness really helps. One just doesn't want to look too put together and neat when wearing clothes that are more formal than what everyone else is wearing.

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know this is not what you are looking for, but if you are looking to purchase a few practical CM outfits without too much strain or overthinking, I suggest that you go to your local menswear store and work with a good salesperson. For example, if you are in NYC, go to Bergdorf Goodman or Paul Stuart and their people can sort you out in short order.

Working with a good salesperson (yes, they still exist) and trying on things in real life should yield better results than relying on the Internet for advice.

Mirage-

Reaction score
To me, it's all about evading business associations while still utilizing CM "tools" (mostly collared shirts, trousers, knitwear, jackets, coats) as well as CM palette, i.e. refraining from overly bright outfits - which would stand out not by formality but by virtue of the colours themselves.
So, no navy structured suits or shiny metal-buttoned blazers, no charcoals suits, no cloth that is too plain (neither pattern nor texture, like a fine worsted), no super-shiny ties (actually never liked those in any case), preferably no plain white poplin shirts. Lots of earth tones, textured cloths (linen, chambray, tweed) and/or small patterns (striped shirts, small-checked jackets, herringbones etc). Some high-low (e.g. non-distressed dark/ecru jeans with tailoring) can work and even help, but without trying too hard, i.e. to the point where it seems you are making a statement for the sake of controversy itself.

Notably, my criteria are more or less met by most/all of the outfits you posted. The only thing I really don't find to work is the t-shirt+ jacket thing (with possible exception for knitted t-shirts which are basically knitwear), but many others disagree as it seems to be gaining popularity.

I know this is not what you are looking for, but if you are looking to purchase a few practical CM outfits without too much strain or overthinking, I suggest that you go to your local menswear store and work with a good salesperson. For example, if you are in NYC, go to Bergdorf Goodman or Paul Stuart and their people can sort you out in short order.

Working with a good salesperson (yes, they still exist) and trying on things in real life should yield better results than relying on the Internet for advice.

I don't think he's looking for advice on purchasing anything, but more to the point, it sounds to me as the point of this thread is exactly to think things through thoroughly, or "overthinking" if you will ("they're just clothes" etc etc), i.e. the opposite of what you suggest (getting some salesperson to do the thinking for us).

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think he's looking for advice on purchasing anything, but more to the point, it sounds to me as the point of this thread is exactly to think things through thoroughly, or "overthinking" if you will ("they're just clothes" etc etc), i.e. the opposite of what you suggest (getting some salesperson to do the thinking for us).
just trying to help the OP avoid a disaster, which typically results from getting Dressed by the Internet.

Pulpo

Reaction score
Yeah man this is the look I love. No idea how to pull it off lol. You picked some great inspo already but just piling on some more:

Really like how Armoury alums Dick Carroll and and Jake Grantham take a really relaxed approach to tailoring.

As many have already noted, Stoffa is really nailing a more relaxed version of CM that looks modern and relevant without throwing out the essentials.

Jamie Ferguson always looks like he's having a lot of fun in his personal portraits, and a lot great examples from his photography work as well.

This is all just my personal conjecture, but beyond just discussing silhouettes and style advice, I think pulling off the "relaxed CM" look relies on attitude and context as much as what you actually put on.

It's important (for me, anyway) to keep in mind that these examples are all people who work in or are adjacent to the world of menswear and fashion, are very comfortable with the language of men's style, and likely have large wardrobes to pull from.

I think building these looks from the ground up without that experience is a lot harder than just throwing on a sport coat. Training your eye and figuring out a cohesive "relaxed CM" look feels harder than putting together a more formal classic suit + tie look, IMO.

Also, wearing a tailored jacket or trousers in certain contexts is always going to look like a "choice". But if you work in a city or in a creative industry (or you just dgaf), I think it's fun look to shoot for.

images.jpeg

tailoring-for-younger-men-L-tAMnGU.jpeg

tailoring-for-younger-men-L-yXFDJ4.jpeg

tumblr_p4iflteNs91qfbji5o1_1280.jpeg
LaStoffa_LookbookFall2021_04.jpeg

LaStoffa_LookbookFall2021_02.jpeg
The-Rake-Tailored-Garments-Jamie-42-of-47.jpeg

The-Rake-Tailored-Garments-Jamie-2-of-47.jpeg

Attachments

• LaStoffa_LookbookFall2021_02.jpeg
    LaStoffa_LookbookFall2021_02.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think @yungchomsky does this well. He had a semi-recent fit with fatigue pants, blue blazer/tie and sneakers that was great (don't have time to search for the pics now but will try to circle back if nobody beats me to it.

This is a good idea for a thread BTW and I really want to hear @dieworkwear weigh in (let's all make this a non-horrible CM thread, huh?).

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think using "CM" is misleading. Better to just call it casual tailoring, imho. Also, "not stand out too much" means different things to different people, in different places, and at different times. Those are some great looks you posted, but for me, the perfect office fit it's closer to what Simon is wearing (slim fit not included) than Gerry. Solid colors, in traditional grey/blues/browns and whites.

A few things I do sometimes for work that work for me- dress up jeans with loafers or some chunky leather sole shoes like Paraboot or Vass. Knits with tailored trousers, again to balance out the amount of formality. Keeping buttoned shirts mostly solid light blue/ecru and longsleeved. I wear lightweight jackets and shirt jackets rather than sportcoats, but YMMV. All of this is extremely boring and fairly easy to do (if fit is right). Again, context is everything and what I don't want at work is to be congratulated on my clothing.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. In addition to the general point about slouchiness, I've found that, defeasibly, the following combinations work for me (non-exhaustive list):

- If I'm wearing tailored trousers and a knit, then no collared shirt.

- With tailored trousers always wear casual shoes (desert boots, Paraboots, sneakers).

- Leather-soled shoes work best with jeans or similarly casual trousers.

- If wearing both tailored trousers and tailored jacket, then the shirt must either be a tee or something very casual (western/work/military etc).

- If wearing both tailored trousers and a shirt as formal as an ocbd or more, then the jacket must be workwearish or a shirt jacket.

- Ties should be worn as subdued whimsical items, and not as something that's on a par with the rest of the outfit, formality-wise.

- Never ever wear a pocket square unless it's white linen and you're in a dark suit and tie for some ceremony.

- Casual hats (baseball, knit cap, bucket) help a lot with toning things down.

- Shorts can work with a very casual tailored jacket.

- Most items in one's outfit should be well-worn. The odd hole or stain is fine.

I know that the idea of having quasi-rules doesn't chime with the intent of being relaxed. But these aren't really rules. They're ex post observations about what seems to work for me (fwiw, of all the guys posted above I dress most like Wilberg, the dude with the long hair--who btw is an academic, not involved in fashion). So what are some of your observations of this sort?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Pulpo thanks! I really like most of the photos you posted, but the two with ties look slightly over the top to me. These days there's just hardly every any good reason to wear the traditional ensemble of tailored trousers, sportcoat, and tie. Ditto for ties with casual suits. If a tie is required then chances are one should be in a dark suit (weddings, some bits of government, court, etc). Basically, ties are very difficult to wear inconspicuously these days if one is under 60 or so.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's talk about jeans. I for one, think that jeans work best in this concept when they're a little beat up. The whole idea of "dress jeans" or perfectly dark (almost shiny), never before worn selvedge looks like you're trying too hard.

I think jeans inherently make a fit casual and thus look better when they're at least a bit faded and not pristine. I think @UrbanComposition said he wears his denim on worksites for 6 months before wearing the same jeans with a sport coat.

yungchomsky

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. In addition to the general point about slouchiness, I've found that, defeasibly, the following combinations work for me (non-exhaustive list):

- If I'm wearing tailored trousers and a knit, then no collared shirt.

- With tailored trousers always wear casual shoes (desert boots, Paraboots, sneakers).

- Leather-soled shoes work best with jeans or similarly casual trousers.

- If wearing both tailored trousers and tailored jacket, then the shirt must either be a tee or something very casual (western/work/military etc).

- If wearing both tailored trousers and a shirt as formal as an ocbd or more, then the jacket must be workwearish or a shirt jacket.

- Ties should be worn as subdued whimsical items, and not as something that's on a par with the rest of the outfit, formality-wise.

- Never ever wear a pocket square unless it's white linen and you're in a dark suit and tie for some ceremony.

- Casual hats (baseball, knit cap, bucket) help a lot with toning things down.

- Shorts can work with a very casual tailored jacket.

- Most items in one's outfit should be well-worn. The odd hole or stain is fine.

I know that the idea of having quasi-rules doesn't chime with the intent of being relaxed. But these aren't really rules. They're ex post observations about what seems to work for me (fwiw, of all the guys posted above I dress most like Wilberg, the dude with the long hair--who btw is an academic, not involved in fashion). So what are some of your observations of this sort?

These all seem like decent tips, if a bit specific. The way I tend to think of it is either starting with a formal template -- e.g. a suit -- and then subverting / casualizing it somehow; OR starting with a casual template -- e.g. jeans and workshirt -- and then smartening it up somehow.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's talk about jeans. I for one, think that jeans work best in this concept when they're a little beat up. The whole idea of "dress jeans" or perfectly dark (almost shiny), never before worn selvedge looks like you're trying too hard.

Totally agree. Chinos have a legitimate range from quasi-dress to quasi-workwear, but jeans don't.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spasmalir