• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing between job opportunities

snuffy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Need some help in choosing between job opportunities. I've been out of work for 4 months, but since April I've had a few interviews.

Just got an offer from Company A. Salary is what I wanted, location is in the suburbs (20 minute drive), job duties are similar to what I was doing. The cons are that the industry its in is not very exciting, but its growing.

I've also had a first interview at Company B. Salary is $10k lower, location is great (heart of downtown), job duties are a step lower. One of my worries is that it might look odd on my resume in terms of career progression. The pro is that this company is known for its great atmosphere and perks (entertainment industry).

I'm torn. There is still a second interview process for Company B. My first inclination is to take the sure thing (Company A). But the atmosphere and perks of Company B are so intriguing.

What are your thoughts?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
take A. There are no sure things out there and I dont know about you, but I could use an extra 10k.

/threak

Hayling

Reaction score
You work for money, right? Unless you think the "atmosphere and perks" are worth losing 10k a year over.

You don't want to take a step down if you can avoid it.

jessis

Reaction score
Take company A for now. Company B will have cut their perks expenditure for the next year. Revisit them in 12 months.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+A

A lot of laid-off people are taking lower paying/lower responsibility jobs right now. If you can avoid that, not only will it help you out now, but it'll look good on your resume.

flashback

Reaction score
I say go back to company B, tell them that you would really like to take the position, but you have an offer with company A for more money... they may not match it, but they may bring the salary up enough that its worth it.

I'm a big believer in taking less money for a better (especially if it is more fun & fulfilling) job.

Seattle Bits

Reaction score
I think I would select whichever job has the most security in the short term and promotion potential for the long term.

I would only talk to Company B if you have a specialized skill. In these times, there is a lot of competition for jobs and unless you have something special to bring to the table, I do not think you have any bargaining room. If you do talk to them you need to be prepared for them to withdraw their offer.

Good luck in whichever one you decide!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuffy
Hey guys,

Need some help in choosing between job opportunities. I've been out of work for 4 months, but since April I've had a few interviews.

Just got an offer from Company A. Salary is what I wanted, location is in the suburbs (20 minute drive), job duties are similar to what I was doing. The cons are that the industry its in is not very exciting, but its growing.

I've also had a first interview at Company B. Salary is $10k lower, location is great (heart of downtown), job duties are a step lower. One of my worries is that it might look odd on my resume in terms of career progression. The pro is that this company is known for its great atmosphere and perks (entertainment industry).

I'm torn. There is still a second interview process for Company B. My first inclination is to take the sure thing (Company A). But the atmosphere and perks of Company B are so intriguing.

What are your thoughts?

Apart from location you haven't provided a good reason to work with Company B. Are the great atmosphere and perks worth $10k a year and a demotion?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how much is the overall package? is 10K 5% or 25%?

also, what are your responsibilities? family? kids?

perks can be worth 10K, up to say 20% of package, if you don't have to worry too much about famimly right now. but mostly they aren't worth more than 5% of package.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics