• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago

yellman

Reaction score
thank you to everyone for their answers and thoughts

Here is my plan (all this over 5 days)

drive from Toronto To Birch run outlets (near flint), then hit michigan outlets (might do this on the way back)

do science and tech and sears tower
do gurnee and aurora outlets
do aquarium and fields museum

hit art gallery and drive back and hit great lakes crossing (might do michigan outlets depending on time)

Hopin for the best and for it not to be too much
Have not figured out food yet

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

factorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yellman
I have done some calculations. It does make sense to stay downtown. I am thinkin of going to science & tech, art gallery, aquarium, sears tower andso forth. hotel is about 1-2 miles to most of these except for science & tech. The shoppin is about 35 miles away (gunree and aurora). Comin from Toronto, we will hit birch run and michigan city outlets. Thanks for your thoughts to all
I believe the Michigan City outlets are very similar to the Aurora outlets, personally I would plan to only stop at one of the two, or at least plan out what stores you are going to hit at each. (Not familiar with the Birch Run outlets.) The Aurora outlets are OK but not great in my personal opinion and I haven't been to the Michigan City outlets. Gurnee seems to have a couple things that Aurora doesn't (Saks Off 5th, NM Last Call) that are probably worth investigating. Agreed on the recommendations for Museum of Science and Industry, Field Museum, and Shedd Aquarium for the kids. Recommendations for Portillo's or Mr. Beef, Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, and Gino's are all good as well. Stay away from "Pizzeria Uno" in Gurnee (though Uno and Due in Chicago are OK, the chain version of the restaurant is far inferior). Bistro 110 is good for brunch with kids and is near the Ralph Lauren store on Michigan Ave. Weather: it will be cold Crime: not a concern if you are staying downtown and not going far south or far west

WildeMan

Reaction score
We spent a week in Chicago with our kids (aged 12 & 14) in September.

I can't imagine driving all the way to Chicago in order to stay in the suburbs. There are great deals at all the downtown business hotels on weekends.

We went to two outlet malls: Michigan City, which was a dump. And Aurora, primarily because my wife wanted to visit the MaxMara store. Neither offered much for me, although I spent the better part of July in Europe. Perhaps a little hard for the Dockers outlet to compete.

The Michigan City mall has the added indignities of being quite distant from the interstate, and in what appears to be a crime-ridden area. We felt completely safe in Chicago, but got hasseled for money at a gas station in Michigan City. (Apologies to all M-C residents.)

I think you'd have better luck on N. Michigan Ave., where there are a couple of discount stores mixed in with SFA, NM, etc. Filnene's basement had dozens of Brioni ties at $59.

All the well-known museums are great, and I think the Art Institute is a must -- even for young children. You might be a little surprised at the admission prices for all major museums -- expect to pay $80 to $100 for a family of four. (It might be cheaper for you because your kids are younger.)
Some have the odd free day.

We had good meals at Hugo's Frog Bar, Tavern on Rush, and, of course, Lawry's. Weber Grill was a disappointment, and I think the pizza at Gino's East is overrated.

Have fun, and remember: Chicago is what Toronto could be, with the right civic leadership.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WildeMan
Have fun, and remember: Chicago is what Toronto could be, with the right civic leadership.

Funny that you write that...a number of years ago our mayor Richard M. Daley visited Toronto on official business and the Star (I believe) published an editorial stating that "Toronto needs a Daley".

Pizza is a subject of endless debate here in Chicago - Chicago deep dish vs. pan (a different style) vs. Chicago thin crust (crispy, cut in squares) vs. East Coast thin crust (what most of North America regards as "pizza"). Pizzeria Uno and Lou Malnatti's are tourist favorites, but if you have some time and feel adventurous, go to Pequod's in Lincoln Park for some of the best deep dish within the city limits. However, it's not close to any attractions.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I live in Naperville which is about 15 minutes from the Aurora Outlet Mall. That seems to be all the amount of time that mall is worth driving for.

There's really nothing of quality there, despite the multitute of store names. The only places I regularly find things are J.Crew and Banana Republic. The RL store is an absolute joke, it's full of parachute clothes in hideous colors and textures. The Diesel is your standard full-price store, I'm unsure why it's even there. They also have Armani and Ferragamo which are again, close to full price.

If your wife is into Theory, they have an excellent Theory store.

As a tourist I'm sure you'd enjoy yourself and probably buy lots of things just because you can. (We've all done it). As someone who digs around there regularly, don't waste your time. If you lived by me it'd work - but don't go out of your way.

*There is a Filene's Basement on State Street downtown by Macy's. They REGULARLY have awesome stuff and ridiculously low prices. Nordstrom Rack is across the street.

yellman

Reaction score
Funny, I was looking at crime statistics for Chicago. In the zip code where my hotel is, there were 30 incidents withing the a week. Mostly shoplifting and so on, but that seems excessive. I went to the area where it 4% of the crimes are from and they have 45 in a day. This is a just a few miles away from downtown.

I went to google maps to look at these areas through streetview. It does not seem that bad. Homes are 50 plus years old. Not much graffiti. Some are boarded up. Lots of empty lots.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Near my home we have auto theft, shootings, burglary (including the building next door) and drug dealing. And still I feel safe.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking to hit up the big tourist sites you may want to look into this.

Also, for shopping and other Chicago info, this is a pretty good thread.

Have fun with the family. Since you have kids I will recommend a trip to Margie's Candies. Ice Cream sundaes like you wouldn't believe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads