• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chicago Gyms

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
What's a cheap gym in Chicago?
I live around Irving Park & Sheridan, and go to school in the 800 block area of N Orleans. I've been looking for something around my apartment or around my school, or easily accessible from an El station on the red or brown line between the two.

I looked up a lot of gyms and the cheapest I could find was around $55 a month, or was $25 a month but had an insane initial registration fee of $250-400.

Where do you guys who live here work out? I've lost a decent amount of weight the last 6 months just by running and having a major diet overhaul, but feel like I need to start lifting to impress my internet friends.
I'm happy with my diet and running routine, and have already gotten some good lifting advice from a legendary B&C poster, but just can't find a gym that fits into any fathomable range of $$$.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Ymca?
Hadn't thought of that. $45 a month is more than I wanted, but workable.
Originally Posted by RustyRyan
East Bank Club

That's one I'd looked into previously.
Initiation Fees

Initiation fees are payable in two installments. There is a reduced initiation fee for individuals ages 21-25 who are children of members.

Individual (ages 21-29) $250
Individual 500
Husband and Wife 700

Monthly Dues

Individual $170
Individual (ages 21 - 25) 120
Husband and Wife 295
Children ages 5-12* 15
Children ages 13-20* 25

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Ymca offers me a student membership at $30 per month. Is this available to you?

Agnacious

Reaction score
I worked out at the Equinox at 900 Michigan when I lived in Chicago because I could walk there. It is higher than your limit, but just posting to let you know that you aren't missing out on anything by not being there.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
My Ymca offers me a student membership at $30 per month. Is this available to you?
Don't know, I just emailed them to ask. It wasn't posted on their website. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by Agnacious
I worked out at the Equinox at 900 Michigan when I lived in Chicago because I could walk there. It is higher than your limit, but just posting to let you know that you aren't missing out on anything by not being there.

laugh.gif
thanks!

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't one of the chains there in LP? I would check with your school. Even if they don't have a gym, you might have a reciprocity deal with another local school that does have a gym.

I use FFC and would agree that you aren't missing much.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Isn't one of the chains there in LP? I would check with your school. Even if they don't have a gym, you might have a reciprocity deal with another local school that does have a gym.
Yeah, there is. It's right off of where Ashland, Lincoln, and Belmont meet.
Also, everyday I pass LP Athletic Club, which looks like a pretty busy club. I'm waiting to hear back from them about $.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Yeah, there is. It's right off of where Ashland, Lincoln, and Belmont meet.
Also, everyday I pass LP Athletic Club, which looks like a pretty busy club. I'm waiting to hear back from them about $.

I'm assuming the chain is around the $55 price? I thought they were cheaper. ala $30's?

Wat695

Reaction score
XSport Fitness is pretty cheap. Good equipment. Just don't sign up for personal training, its well overpriced for the trainers you get.

Racove

Reaction score
^ any advice to where to get good value for trainers then? Only the upscale gyms? I'd assume they charge upscale prices

gyea

Reaction score
Quads on waveland and broadway has a three month special for 150, no contracts. after that its quite expensive, but they have tons of equipment. platform, lots of squat racks, kettlebells, tons of different bars and attachments, ghr, reverse hyper, plyometric stuff, boxing equip, and lots of other equipment. definitely worth checking out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads