• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chester Mox Appreciation Thread -- Bespoke, Ready-Made, and MTO Leathergoods

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get the whole black-formal bit. I shy away from black leather most things. Being me, I would want the navy because "**** yea navy!" but the brown would probably be like "I can do this with everything." It sounds like you want something that will be an every day item.

That said, I also feel like going brown is overly considered. Having something like that made in navy, while it might not always be concordant, still seems like the sort of thing that can be used everyday.

That brown does look super nice though. It reminds me of a leather Tanner Kroll uses. Slightly darker, but the resemblance is there (at least to me).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That said, I also feel like going brown is overly considered. Having something like that made in navy, while it might not always be concordant, still seems like the sort of thing that can be used everyday.

That's probably true. I'll probably look over the swatches this weekend and just make a decision.

Bellanie tells me they're also working with a new company for hardware. Made in Italy, silver finish, buffed to a mirror shine. I assume they have other models, but some examples:

Last edited:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are pretty. What is the size scale. The combo lock seems like a neat idea, but if it's too small it's going to be useless and seems like it would have to be a non-functional gimmick.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Those are pretty. What is the size scale. The combo lock seems like a neat idea, but if it's too small it's going to be useless and seems like it would have to be a non-functional gimmick.

Combo lock is about 100cm tall by 60cm wide.

I haven't measured it out, but for the moment, think I'm leaning towards that shape, but minus the combo lock feature.

teoky

Reaction score
I've ordered a clutch and card holder from ChesterMox, received them back in March this year.

It's very easy working with Bellanie, with her giving advice and suggestions that I never thought of. Here's the finalised design for the clutch, drawn by Bellanie:

KoonYee---Clutch-Revised.jpg

4-6 weeks later, here's the clutch and wallet that I've received:

Clutch-Close-1000.jpg
Clutch-Interior-1000.jpg
Clutch-Open-1000.jpg
Card holder.jpg

Credit to ChesterMox for the photos above. You can find the pictures from their blog or instagram account.

The quality of leather and especially Bellanie's saddle stitching is as good as anyone out there, if not better. Oh the service is second to none too.

Overall, I'm a very happy customer!!!

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my favorite things from Chester Mox: a black alligator eyewear sleeve lined in Alcantara (a suede-like material to help protect my lenses). Been using this almost every day this summer.

IMG_2006.JPG

Really like how Bellanie positioned the leather. When you look at a gator skin, the belly often has the nicest scales -- clean and well defined. Most makers won't cut from this area because they'd rather reserve it for bigger commissions (say, women's bags), which fetch more money. I didn't ask for a belly cut, but was pleasantly surprised to see it when the case arrived.

The clean belly scales can be seen below. Above, you can see how the smaller scales were positioned at the bottom of the sleeve to make it look more interesting. Sort of like a gradient effect.

IMG_2039.JPG

Clean edge finishing, so that the two pieces of leather appear seamless.

IMG_2015.JPG

And the handsewn saddle stitching. Really come to like how the stitches look more tightly sewn than usual machine stitches. They also move in a ///// line, rather than -----.

I think machine sewn leather goods are fine, but it's hard to go back when you've had a few nicely handsewn pieces.

IMG_2046.JPG

I recently asked a store how much a handsewn/ saddle stitched alligator wallet would cost in one of their models. I was quoted between $2,000 and $3,000, depending on the design. A machine sewn version, by contrast, would be about a third of that. Was surprised at how big the markup would be for handsewing. Don't know how much Chester Mox would charge for the same design, but even their briefcases don't cost that much, largely because you're buying from a small firm and directly from the person making it, not the maker employed by a brand, who then sells to a store. The idea that you can cut out middle-men in luxury goods is often oversold in editorials, but I think it's true here.

Anyway, I love this thing. A small accessory, but nice to use.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An example of the difference in leather. First is some random photo I found on Google, but if you search for "alligator eyewear case" they all basically look like this. The leather is cut from the less desirable parts of the hide, so you end up with a crinkly looking sleeve. (Leather might not be great to begin with).

vintage_crocodile_alligator_eyeglasses_sunglasses_case_19139d.jpg

Then a belly cut.

tumblr_inline_nip5nbi7PS1qfex1b.jpg

tumblr_inline_nip5n06QPF1qfex1b.jpg

IMG_2039.JPG

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impressive piece, DWW. Their work is not only well made but also very stylish. Rival Hermès.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

copperback

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the current lead time for a non-bespoke order is? Their website says 1-2 weeks lead time.
I've placed an order for a wallet 5 weeks ago but haven't had any updates. Tried emailing them as well but did not get a reply.

Herr Brun

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the current lead time for a non-bespoke order is? Their website says 1-2 weeks lead time.
I've placed an order for a wallet 5 weeks ago but haven't had any updates. Tried emailing them as well but did not get a reply.
How long did the lead time end up being?

Does anyone know how long it is these days?

sargeinaz

Reaction score
No clue on lead times.
just wanted to say that I have a shell wallet that’s at least 3 years old and still looks brand new. I have nothing, but good things to say about it. Doesn’t even have one stitch loose. Thanks to @dieworkwear for introducing this company to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads