• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hst

Reaction score
I believe the CJs at PLAL are genuine. Many members here have brought CJs from PLAL (including myself
smile.gif
)

I think there have been some issues between PLAL and CJ. PLAL is now probably only clearing whatever stocks they have on hand.

Pediwear may be your best bet now.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwong6590
The funny thing is I emailed Crockett and Jones on their stockist info in Malaysia, they replied and said there isn't any. But, I found C&J shoes at P.Lal in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Here is their website. http://plal.com/main/index.php?page=...hgrade-oxfords Are these C&J shoes genuine?

I have family in Malaysia. Recently, they ordered C&J shoes from P. Lal thawerere not in stock. P. Lal is only allowed to sell to their domestic market now.

Tweed Run

Reaction score
cheanys aren't benchmade. i think they have one range -- an anniversary range or similar -- that are, but the quality isn't the same as a crockett & jones shoe. c&j's will be handcut calf leather, cheanys not. the c&j shoes will wear better and last longer.

Tweed Run

Reaction score
yes, i don't disagree. cheany shoes might also be a bit more interesting and contemporary. c&j shoes are... traditional, to say the least. pick the one you like best. cheanys aren't an "investment" shoe; the quality isn't there, but the price reflects that. c&js are beautiful shoes that you'll grow old with, but they might not be the most exciting shoes you own.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tweed Run
yes, i don't disagree. cheany shoes might also be a bit more interesting and contemporary. c&j shoes are... traditional, to say the least. pick the one you like best. cheanys aren't an "investment" shoe; the quality isn't there, but the price reflects that.
When they make the shoes for other companies, such as Ede & Ravenscroft, they certainly are an investment shoe. Here is a pair of Cheaney's that are four years old. They have been re-crafted by Cheaney once, and I had the soles replaced with oak bark soles. To be honest, they look as if they have another 4+ years in them, and the quality is most evidently there.
DSC_1381.jpg
DSC_1378.jpg
I own one pair of Cheaney shoes and have owned previously seven pairs of C&J. C&J are my favourite, but it would be wrong to be so dismissive of Cheaney.

KayJay85

Reaction score
FWIW I got my first "real" shoe from Cheaney and moved up to C&J a year later.
Very happy with my Cheaney purchase but I would say that the C&J are a cut above, as reflected in the typical price difference.

jwong6590

Reaction score
I am thinking to go for C&J Hallam in black. This is my first pair of Oxford. Do you think the front of the shoe(toe cap?) look a bit weird?

Is the price od USD333 reasonable?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think with the Hallam you have to be mindful of what you will be wearing it with. The last is very pointy and IMHO, looks a bit silly.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think that C&J have shoes on slightly more exciting contemporary lasts; all the shoes on the 348 last are a bit more sleek, and wee bit less conservative...

Originally Posted by Tweed Run
yes, i don't disagree. cheany shoes might also be a bit more interesting and contemporary. c&j shoes are... traditional, to say the least. pick the one you like best. cheanys aren't an "investment" shoe; the quality isn't there, but the price reflects that. c&js are beautiful shoes that you'll grow old with, but they might not be the most exciting shoes you own.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
When they make the shoes for other companies, such as Ede & Ravenscroft, they certainly are an investment shoe.

Here is a pair of Cheaney's that are four years old. They have been re-crafted by Cheaney once, and I had the soles replaced with oak bark soles. To be honest, they look as if they have another 4+ years in them, and the quality is most evidently there.

DSC_1381.jpg

DSC_1378.jpg

I own one pair of Cheaney shoes and have owned previously seven pairs of C&J. C&J are my favourite, but it would be wrong to be so dismissive of Cheaney.

I_D, are those the Grosvenor?

2781-1495-photo3.jpg

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silliness is subjective. I think it does depend quite a lot on your personality and sense of style. I personally like the Hallam very much and have a couple shoes on the 348 last...and I wouldn't describe my dress sense as particularly brash or avant-garde.

Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
I think with the Hallam you have to be mindful of what you will be wearing it with. The last is very pointy and IMHO, looks a bit silly.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwong6590
Thanks everyone for your quick responds. I am actually eyeing Cheaney Sloane. I would like to save some money for buying Cheaney. Are those prices that I mentioned reasonable? Is Cheaney equilavent to Rolex in the wristwatch world? What I mean is how good of a brand is Cheaney?

Both are decent medium quality brands but not in the Rolex class, IMO. There's several higher-end English brands that are much nicer - but, as mentioned - nothing wrong with C&J or Cheney if they fit you.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I_D, are those the

They are, yes, originally made for Herring. As I say, I've had them resoled with oak bark soles and they're still going strong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads