• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charcoal suit and...

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you wear dark chocolate brown shoes with a charcoal suit, or only lighter brown shoes? The alternative (for me) to chocolate brown is black.

Thanks.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it is perfectly fine, as do many Italians. Some on this board will vehemently disagree, and call you all sorts of names
wink.gif

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I won't beat my regionalism drum again on this issue. The darker the shoe, the less controversial the result.

prinseugen

Reaction score
Would you wear dark chocolate brown shoes with a charcoal suit, or only lighter brown shoes? The alternative (for me) to chocolate brown is black.

Thanks.
Dark brown shoes look wonderful with a charcoal suit. And very proper, too. There are those on this board who would suggest otherwise, preferring instead to send you into uncharted territory--i.e. day into night without the right equipment--but you will enjoy great flexibility with this elegant combination....

Regards,

Jack

rayk

Reaction score
Dark brown shoes and a charcoal suit are an impeccable combination.  I believe that most would agree that brown shoes are in general more attractive than black.  Brown leather of quality has visual appeal and offers opportunities for personal expression that could never be achieved with black leather of comparable quality.  While I have several pairs of black shoes, some of very fine quality, I rarely wear any of them.  

A navy blue suit with black shoes unfailingly brings to mind an airline pilot's uniform...usually very dapper gents, but not a look that I wish to emulate.  With a dark blue suit brown shoes, dark or medium, deliver so much more style.

I might wear black shoes with a black suit, if I wore black suits, and, of course, black shoes are essential with formal wear.

Black shoes are always very proper with both charcoal and dark blue suits, but are just too conservative for my taste. With other than the exceptions cited I would keep to brown.

prinseugen

Reaction score
Dark brown shoes and a charcoal suit are an impeccable combination. I believe that most would agree that brown shoes are in general more attractive than black. Brown leather of quality has visual appeal and offers opportunities for personal expression that could never be achieved with black leather of comparable quality. While I have several pairs of black shoes, some of very fine quality, I rarely wear any of them.

A navy blue suit with black shoes unfailingly brings to mind an airline pilot's uniform...usually very dapper gents, but not a look that I wish to emulate. With a dark blue suit brown shoes, dark or medium, deliver so much more style.

I might wear black shoes with a black suit, if I wore black suits, and, of course, black shoes are essential with formal wear.

Black shoes are always very proper with both charcoal and dark blue suits, but are just too conservative for my taste. With other than the exceptions cited I would keep to brown.
Excellent post. I agree that dark brown shoes are supremely elegant with either dark blue or dark grey suits.

Regards,

Jack

UncleFes

Reaction score
Dark brown shoes with charcoal suit is a superior combination. However, it *is* a more casual (relatively speaking) combination, as rayk points out. That in mind, consider a less formal shirt and tie selection as well. With charcoal and dark brown, I'd look first amongst my olives, maroons, and silvers.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know where the expectation that many on this board wouldn't like that combo comes from...I was under the impression that it was common knowledge here and at AA that dark brown shoes paired with a charcoal suit is perfectly acceptable. That being said, I'll always wear black shoes with a charcoal or navy suit to a job interview, (cringing as I do so).

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any of those colors will go fine. But I would not wear light brown shoes with a white shirt and a formal tie. Blue shirt and light-colored tie: go for it.

Very interesting, as I personally have been conforming to this rule, but without realizing it or putting it in words...

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Dark brown shoes excellent. Light brown shoes not excellent.

Generally, your shoes should be either the same tone or darker than your slacks.

I know that many well dressed men wear a lighter brown shoe with a darker suit. However, I find the match odd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads