• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Castangia update

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy it when forum members post pictures of clothes on their body, so I figure I'll lead by example. Thus, here's a picture of me overdressed for a matinee.
castopera.jpg
The first thing that jumps out is that the right sleeve needs to be shortened about 1/4" to 3/8". Second thing: Jeez, I'm deformed. Right shoulder's so much lower than the left...right hands falls much lower than left. Results in the buttons not lining up in the center. Oh well, is this going to get better or worse over time??? Anyway, suit by Castangia, shirt by Barba, linen tie by Kiton, belt by Gucci, monkstraps by Prada. All criticism is welcome.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the jacket. I always get flap pockets, so it's neat to see no flaps. Pants are much narrower than I would wear. I like the lapel roll very much.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a really nice suit, I was considering picking up the 42 but didn't end up doing so, and now I wish I had... Very sharp outfit.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mostly I notice the pants - they should just barely break on the shoes. But it looks like they might have slipped down and are actually the correct length...

edit - I just realized - the light spot showing below the waist closure button is your belt buckle, not your shirt...

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket fits nice.  especially shoulders.

You may want to do somthing about that pants though.  Too much cloth piled up around your break.  I do not know how well your croach fits, but if croach length is too long, by shorting it, the pants will get shorter, thus, it may fix the leg problem.  Otherwise, shorten the legs please.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That is a beautifully fitting coat.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the comments.

Regarding the break of the trousers, I agree, looks like it could go up maybe .5-.75". So strange, looked great at the tailor's; and I brought proper shoes so I could try them on too. A very slight break was something that both my tailor and I immediately agreed on (as opposed to proper sleeve length), so I know that it's gotta be pretty close. I'm still having belt issues, so maybe that could be it too.

Thanks for the compliments on the fit of the jacket. Right now I'm considering whether I should go with WW Chan for a bespoke suit, or spend $700 on a suit from ebay with an additional $100 for alterations. A bespoke suit is very tempting, but it sounds like I'm getting sufficiently close with RTW. Besides, I should probably get more experience before taking the plunge...and when I do, I should use a place with that will do multiple fittings. Any thoughts?

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you bought the suit from Andrew (I almost bought the 40) but had already bought two other suits from him. If you did, you got a terrific deal.

I was also considering made to measure but find that RTW fit on the suits I bought from Andrew (Barbera and St. Andrews) were more than satisfactory. Based on the photos, the jacket fit and line looks very good on you, so why undertake the expense and uncertainty of made to measure if (and I mean if) there is product of similar quality available on EBay.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, so you were the one who turned down this suit. Andrew mentioned that there was someone ahead of me interested in buying, but turned it down because he had too many grey suits...was that you?

You're right, it was a terrific deal. It's actually a bit heavy for all but the coldest evenings in Los Angeles, but it works out well because super 150's isn't something you want to wear everyday anyway. It's my 'special occasions' suit.

And you make a great point about the uncertainty factor in buying bespoke. I'm 95% sure I'll go with RTW, because there are so many great deals to be had on ebay. The thing is, I'm getting fitted for shirts with Chan, so I hope I don't get too caught up in the moment and have a suit made as well.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Based on the photos, the jacket fit and line looks very good on you, so why undertake the expense and uncertainty of made to measure if (and I mean if) there is product of similar quality available on EBay.
I agree. The only reasons for you to go MTM or bespoke would be if you had some incredibly specific ideas about fabric or detailing that you wanted, and couldn't find; or if you are just a clothing nutcase (like me.) who enjoys the experience. From the look of your photo, you certainly don't need bespoke for the fit.

Giona Granata

Reaction score
Beatyful.

The jacket looks almost like bespoke, from picture.

Why don't you try just to dress the trousers higher on the waist? Obviously if you have space ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads