• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Well, it's about time for an update on the Darkness.

DSC_1432.JPG
DSC_1433.JPG

The body is ready to go back in the booth, for touch ups and more clear coat. Parts need sanding down, and then the lower half of the 2-tone painted.

Looks amazing up close. Stay tuned. A week from completion.

paintshop3.jpg

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is that @Thrift Vader ? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, sort of looks like a crown vic sort of looks like a 2000s impala. But someone put the steering wheel on the wrong side and I'm confused..

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Why? Cost of maintenance? I like owning cars for a long time and paying it off. Is that old school thinking?
pffffft..... Paying off?
I pay cash upfront. is that old school thinking?
German cars are inferior. simple. paying more money for an inferior car does make one "dumb".

How does the cost of maintenance discussion come about? - inferior engineering,and/or quality.

@ridethecliche bore it, forged pistons, better valve springs, and have the valves seated. you are pushing boost. in an old engine.regardless of your turbo, etc..
build the engine future proof. as cheap as possible.
universal known things apply to Miata's too......

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
What is that @Thrift Vader ? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, sort of looks like a crown vic sort of looks like a 2000s impala. But someone put the steering wheel on the wrong side and I'm confused..

it's "The Darkness"
A Toyota Celsior ucf20 ,also known as a Lexus LS400.
powered by the legendary quad cam,32 valve, six bolt main,factory detuned 1uzfe Toyota V8.

upfront i paid $1,200. now a bit more...

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone talk me out of buying a 10 year old Bentley.

Buy it, drive it, complain about repair costs. A 10 year old Bentley would put it around 06-08 depending on model year so it would be worth looking into how long that platform has been around. If it is the first of a model refresh, it could have quite a few issues but if it is towards the end of its model life, the bugs could have been worked out though it is a VW at heart.

Repairs and upkeep just seem like such a ***** on those.

Doug Demuro had an interesting recent article on Carbon Ceramic brakes on run of the mill cars, not higher end Porsches, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis. At some point the car devalues into the $30-$50K range, say a E63 AMG, and it needs new brakes. Are those owners going to replace a $10K brake system or convert to steel brakes and at what cost?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone talk me out of buying a 10 year old Bentley.

Don't buy it. Not that good looking, high maintenance costs, and at least around me no independent shops to work on high end British cars (there are lots of independent shops for German cars, and at least a few for Italian Cars). Hopefully, you have an independent shop near you, but around here you'd be dealership's mercy. The few guys I know that have owned modern high end British cars (Lotus Evora, Aston Martin, and Bentley) all complained about very high maintenance costs.

I've driven a Bentley once (a GT Speed convertible). I couldn't pass up the opportunity to experience their W12 engine. The materials used for the interior were beautiful, it had plenty of power, but damn it felt incredibly heavy on the road. I'm glad I had the opportunity to drive it, but I have no desire to own one. Good luck with whatever you decide.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to talk you out of it. It is a fine GT based on proven bullet proof mechanics albeit VW.

They are beautiful inside but based on 15 year old electronics which may or may not matter to you as some of the functions of modern cars are not there. Any 10 year old exotica is going to cost if thinks go wrong and you need to be prepared for this.

Go for it if you can.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's "The Darkness"
A Toyota Celsior ucf20 ,also known as a Lexus LS400.