• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Bronco Sport is the new Ford Escape...
^^

cannot be un-thought

Same underlying platform although it does sound like the bronco sport is different enough to still fairly capable off road as long as you get the trims with the bigger engine/tires. And it has features like rubberized cargo area that you can remove and hose down rather than carpet.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same underlying platform although it does sound like the bronco sport is different enough to still fairly capable off road as long as you get the trims with the bigger engine/tires. And it has features like rubberized cargo area that you can remove and hose down rather than carpet.

Why don't more SUVs do this? I guess carpet can't be scratched so perhaps over time it might actually show less wear and tear but I put rubber floormats in every SUV and a rubber or plastic cargo liner in the cargo area.

I have a hard time believing anyone really prefers a carpeted trunk or cargo area. As long as it's finished with something durable of course. I would imagine that "carpeted trunk" was a nice feature decades ago when the alternative was unpainted metal but good god it's 2021 already. Just give me some sort of durable composite so I don't have to hunt around for a drop in liner. When we got our most recent car the parts department was closed for the day so they couldn't even sell us liners.

If I end up in a Bronco I will 100% get one of the trims with the rubberized floors (thinking Black Diamond is most likely for me).

FPB

Reaction score
Why don't more SUVs do this? I guess carpet can't be scratched so perhaps over time it might actually show less wear and tear but I put rubber floormats in every SUV and a rubber or plastic cargo liner in the cargo area.

I have a hard time believing anyone really prefers a carpeted trunk or cargo area. As long as it's finished with something durable of course. I would imagine that "carpeted trunk" was a nice feature decades ago when the alternative was unpainted metal but good god it's 2021 already. Just give me some sort of durable composite so I don't have to hunt around for a drop in liner. When we got our most recent car the parts department was closed for the day so they couldn't even sell us liners.

If I end up in a Bronco I will 100% get one of the trims with the rubberized floors (thinking Black Diamond is most likely for me).

It's probably the same people who thought shag carpet was superior to hardwood floors and covered them over a few decades ago.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I suspect cabin noise is a factor. Carpet stops noise from reverberating and stuff doesn't rattle or slide as much as on a harder surface. And you're probably right about scratching/wear--carpets don't show it unless it is really bad, especially in black.

That said, I 100% don't understand carpeted floor mats...you don't necessarily need full bathtub-style weathertech mats, but rubber mats that you can easily shake out/spray clean are a must anywhere with rain or snow.

In the back I've got a nice compromise liner that came with the car--it outdoor-style carpet with a rubber backing and raised edges that will keep a spill contained (and the carpet might actually help by absorbing it so it doesn't slosh around and escape). Can be removed and hosed down although it will need some dry time.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well now I need to invite your ridicule by posting a pic of these sweet carpeted floor mats I had made for the M3. The piping is leather and matches the exterior color of the car.

this is officially my most Covid-delayed order ever - it took over 8 months to fulfill!

F2112615-8604-45B7-B504-2874713EAE6B.jpeg
91452DEC-5431-4AB8-8344-7E2D2C1E02C2.jpeg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well now I need to invite your ridicule by posting a pic of these sweet carpeted floor mats I had made for the M3. The piping is leather and matches the exterior color of the car.

this is officially my most Covid-delayed order ever - it took over 8 months to fulfill!

View attachment 1539438 View attachment 1539439

Yeah, but I assume you just leave that car inside if you see clouds in the sky.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My Volvo came with the "protection package" which is a set of awesome, snap in rubber/plastic mats vs. carpeted mats. Also includes covering the back of both rows of seats which is cool as I just keep both rows down and pop my bike in and out of the back.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Snapped a quick pic to show what I was talking about. As you can see they fit together and I had just popped out the very back piece to shake off as I grabbed some 40# bags of salt and they always leak a little.

9E2CC9ED-484D-4F9B-B03C-7314DB00B4BD.jpeg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snapped a quick pic to show what I was talking about. As you can see they fit together and I had just popped out the very back piece to shake off as I grabbed some 40# bags of salt and they always leak a little.

View attachment 1540194

Yeah, I love those. I also bought the full rear protection piece as I take my dogs out on the boat in the summer and they love to swim. I plan on putting the full interior liner in for dog duties but those snap in pieces are great for every day protection.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honda got it right with the Element. They were doing it years ago and even had interior tie-downs so you could transport a motorcycle. Not sure why they discontinued it but I wouldn't mind having one around as a work and camping type vehicle.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** time. Which would you choose? Me, it might be obvious but I’ll let Richard decide for me based upon his own reactions

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** time. Which would you choose? Me, it might be obvious but I’ll let Richard decide for me based upon his own reactions

Both are amazing. Depends on if you are into high tech or just raw fun. As mentioned the 959 had AWD, hollow magnesium wheels, adjustable suspension, and parts of the body were made of kevlar. But I always thought it was really cool that it had a bullet proof front windshield, because engineers were concerned that if traveling 190+ mph a rock could go through the windshield and injure/kill the driver or the passenger. I've seen 959s, but I don't know anyone that has driven one. Still I remember road tests of the day saying the 959 was so perfect that it was nearly boring to drive compared to the F40. Most reviews back in the day thought the F40 while sparse was a blast to drive. I've only met one person that has driven an F40 and he had been in the auto industry for many years and driven lots of great cars. He said the F40 was the most fun on 4 wheels that he had ever experienced. I really love both, but if you can only have one, I gotta go with the F40.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads