• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carol Christian Poell...did I OVERPAY on Ebay!?

Rebel4Liberty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
ccp costs a lot more than most gucci pieces. a lot a lot more.

I see, so how would this rank to a 1395.00 SR silk shirt!? I have never to this day seen anything better than SR in quality of silk. If there is even better quality than SR I live under a rock..

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why anyone but a dedicated collector of Carol Christian Poell would buy that shirt.

You do realize that it's a 15 year-old, damaged, polyester shirt, right? Why are you comparing it to silk shirts from completely different designers?

If the fact that it was designed by Poell means nothing to you, then I would imagine that you greatly overpaid.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
polyester
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You paid for the name/exclusivity. It's impossible to put a price on an intangible thing like that. Other than that, yes you overpaid. It's a pretty plain, blue polyester shirt with visible pulls.

Rebel4Liberty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
I'm not sure why anyone but a dedicated collector of Carol Christian Poell would buy that shirt.

You do realize that it's a 15 year-old, damaged, polyester shirt, right? Why are you comparing it to silk shirts from completely different designers?

If the fact that it was designed by Poell means nothing to you, then I would imagine that you greatly overpaid.

I am a collector, but of silks and synthetic fabrics blended or pure.... I have seen Poell on Ebay before but not much has ever interested me. This did, but I really don't have any knowledge on where it stacks, that is why I am asking. It sounds like I didn't overpay at all, but I would like a rough idea on what the retail price would have been. I compare the SR as a point of reference as I still have never seen or felt anything that cost more that is silk and silk like of a higher quality and IF there is I am unaware of it.... I am sure this is of high quality too. I don't think your snide remark of questioning my being able to appreciate who the designer is needed. So it is obviously a rare piece, and one of a kind. MANY of my shirts are like that and can never be found again. I have quite a few Tom Ford era Gucci pieces from the late 90's, so not like I understand what that means....

Icehawk

Reaction score
I don't think he was really being snide - just saying if you aren't after that designer specifically it DOES seem like a lot of loot for a poly shirt that isn't perfect.

What are you doing with this item - wearing it or do you have a clothing collection of some sort?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
personally, I think you overpaid by 274 bucks. You bought a used polyester shirt in poor condition.

Im sure i have some **** laying around my closet to sell for half that price...made from a nice cotton.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Rebel4Liberty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
You paid for the name/exclusivity. It's impossible to put a price on an intangible thing like that. Other than that, yes you overpaid. It's a pretty plain, blue polyester shirt with visible pulls.

As long as its still QUALITY I don't think I did, and I do understand what your saying about the NAME.. I wouldn't say plain though, with the check like pattern that is subtle

LOL Achilles, I am probably one of the few that HATES plain cotton, must be egyptian 2 ply/ 120 or higher...

Rebel4Liberty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
I don't think he was really being snide - just saying if you aren't after that designer specifically it DOES seem like a lot of loot for a poly shirt that isn't perfect.

What are you doing with this item - wearing it or do you have a clothing collection of some sort?

That is true, but I like QUALITY and it is easy to see in those pics, and why I became interested since I know it won't be some crap quality polyester. I especially like the color too, but I have never had a poell piece before, so this is why I am asking. I have looked at price ranges and they are listed pretty darned high in EUR, so converted over to USD would be quite pricey. I will be wearing it from time to time, but considering the rarity I won't be wearing it so much that it becomes worn out. I have enough that I can cycle through and lets others rest..

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You're asking in your post, did i overpay, and then all your subsequent posts are I didn't overpay.

At least go to sw&d if you want confirmation to make yourself feel better. I'm sure there's pretty much no one on MC that gives a crap about ccp, other than maybe their leather jackets.

Rebel4Liberty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
You're asking in your post, did i overpay, and then all your subsequent posts are I didn't overpay.

At least go to sw&d if you want confirmation to make yourself feel better. I'm sure there's pretty much no one on MC that gives a crap about ccp, other than maybe their leather jackets.

I said it SOUNDS like I didn't overpay from some of the responses, but anyway I guess this is in the wrong sub-forum to get a definitive answer. Sorry to be a bother, I'll move it..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads