• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After a very long wait these gems arrived from Skoak. Unfortunately, now i know rain will not work for me. I look forward to trying out something on detroit and Soller.
Why doesn't rain work for you, I thought rain and soller were similar generous fitting lasts?

EUtroll

Reaction score
To me the rain last is not that generous. Instep not very high combined with a restrictive forefoot. The only generous part of it is the gigantic heel.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree - the heel on the rain last always felt huge to me

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why doesn't rain work for you, I thought rain and soller were similar generous fitting lasts?

I sized down on these. If I went TTS and chose a shoe/boot with laces I think they would be okay. The problem I have with the Chelsea is that there is nothing securing my narrow heel into the huge heel area. My disproportionate heels and insteps prevent me from wearing loafers or slip on shoes of almost any kind.

gooter

Reaction score
Hoping for input on the Robert last as compared to some Allen Edmonds shoes I own.

On the AE 5 last (Strand, Park Ave, Fifth Ave) I am a 10D. On the 511 last (Dalton, Long Branch, Saukville) I am a 10.5B.

Looking at the Carmina Autumn Brogue and the Wingtip Derby, both of which are on the Robert last.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hoping for input on the Robert last as compared to some Allen Edmonds shoes I own.

On the AE 5 last (Strand, Park Ave, Fifth Ave) I am a 10D. On the 511 last (Dalton, Long Branch, Saukville) I am a 10.5B. 

Looking at the Carmina Autumn Brogue and the Wingtip Derby, both of which are on the Robert last. 

I know this is not the answer your want to hear but here it goes. You should stay with AE shoes unless you can try Robert last in person.
I know you will not listen to my voice of reason so I would recommend that you get Robert last in size 9 UK, it should fit you as Robert last is a little on narrow side and it does have roomy toe box, roomier than AE 5 last

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this is not the answer your want to hear but here it goes. You should stay with AE shoes unless you can try Robert last in person.
I know you will not listen to my voice of reason so I would recommend that you get Robert last in size 9 UK, it should fit you as Robert last is a little on narrow side and it does have roomy toe box, roomier than AE 5 last

Why? That's curious advice in light of the fact that many in this thread asked for a sizing recommendation and ordered their first Carminas without trying them on first. If you're fine with the risk that you may need to return them/or sell them online if the sizing is off, what's the harm?

Regarding sizing, I wear the same size in AE's 5 last and 1 last, but find the Robert last too narrow for my foot. I find the Forest last to fit the closest to AE's 5 last and wear a 12D in AE and 11UK for Forest.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear size uk8 in uetem loafers which is also a narrow last and I cannot get my left foot in Robert last uk 8 loafers.

I am 8.5 D US on 65 last and wear uk8 on the Simpson, Uetem, Oscar and inca. Inca and Oscar are roomier of course. Rain last is uk7.5.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I think that is because Loafers are so hard to fit - pretty sure it was just saying to save you some $$$ from having to resell or ship back loafers that dont fit. Personally I have a hard time...just recently I was PM with Texas and though we wear the same size in many lasts...we are a full size apart on Alden loafers in Van.

As one fine gent on SF says loafers a re a 3dimensional problem!

Last edited:
Reaction score

I wear 6.5D on AE 5, take 5.5UK in Robert, and they fit flawlessly. I have a wide forefoot, and slightly narrow heel.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that is because Loafers are so hard to fit - pretty sure it was just saying to save you some $$$ from having to resell or ship back loafers that dont fit. Personally I have a hard time...just recently I was PM with Texas and though we wear the same size in many lasts...we are a full size apart on Alden loafers in Van.

As one fine gent on SF says loafers a re a 3dimensional problem!

I think we're talking about different posters. He was responding to a poster that was asking about derby brogues on the Robert last.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear size uk8 in uetem loafers which is also a narrow last and I cannot get my left foot in Robert last uk 8 loafers.

I am 8.5 D US on 65 last and wear uk8 on the Simpson, Uetem, Oscar and inca. Inca and Oscar are roomier of course. Rain last is uk7.5.

Feet are funny. I wear 9.5 UK in Rain and, according to most forums I should wear 10 UK in Uetam and the ones I have in Uetam are 9 UK and I swear I feel they have more room in the toes than Rain. I could use 9.5 UK in Uetam but since it's a loafer it kinda slips from my feet. Also I wear 9.5 UK in Inca and I feel it way more comfortable than the Rain.

For reference I wear 10 D US in Red Wing 8 last and 10.5 D in Alden's Barrie Last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads