• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
I find it tts. It’s not as wide as appears their.
FB9B1E3A-6F94-4E9A-9F0D-67374D01CF89.jpeg

Baked Potato

Reaction score
My custom loafers arrived today. There's one issue though - they're extremely loose. I have several Forest oxfords in my size (UK8.5) and ordered these loafers in the same size. I specified one thing though; to stretch the front of the shoe around the little toe for a bit more room (which they also did with my last pair of custom loafers, although they were on Uteam). They're extremely loose in the heel and just fall of my feet. I guess I'll have to email them. They take forever to reply though...

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve certainly maintained them, but I have worn them many, many times, so I guess they’ve just taken a bit of a beating. The dark marks are a source of some annoyance. Can share more photos, though not at this very moment. Is there anything specific you would like to see?
To me, they represent the beauty of leather - the dark marks, uneven patina. That's the great aspect of certain leather choices. It's like a person's face - the spots, wrinkles are what adds character.

officine

Reaction score
As everyone decides what to MTO, just wanted to highlight that Carmina has a new Balmoral offering to consider.

Around the time that @George Red formally introduced the Calway derby boot, I was in conversation with my long time Carmina contact about introducing a shorter length (of shaft) balmoral boot similar to the C&J Charlton below (which I own). I think the C&J looks great dressed up or with jeans:
View attachment 1685050

So when the Calway made its debut it made sense to me to follow the design aesthetics put down by that sister boot (off center inverted "v" ). Thus we moved forward with the following design and model number 80841:

View attachment 1685068

The height of the pandemic slowed things down and I sort of put the project on the back burner. To be honest, I almost forgot about it. Well, to my surprise, as I perused the the Carmina site on Monday I see the following:

View attachment 1684991

I called my contact to thank him, but he was just as surprised as I was that the boot was already in production. Whoever pushed it through has my gratitude. My MTO is going to be a simple all black Vegano make-up.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case they were in the market for a shorter height balmoral boot.

Happy MTOing.
Hey, guys. As follow-up to this post, I just received a pic from factory for my (shorter shaft) dress balmoral boot. Looks sweet! Exactly what I wanted. Will send more pictures when in possession.

D9A48366-F8B0-4D10-A93F-37611EB97552.jpeg

jcreadeur

Honest Abe
Reaction score
Finally received my first pair of Carmina’s. Chelsea boot on Simpson last. I sized up a half size and they seem big with thin dress socks on. Hopefully once I put normal socks they feel better.

Also does Carmina normally put stickers on the sole like this!?
2613EC92-F812-46AF-B5FE-5EB9B65A2620.jpeg
D8413F41-F822-4FD4-80CE-30E144ACF746.jpeg

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally received my first pair of Carmina’s. Chelsea boot on Simpson last. I sized up a half size and they seem big with thin dress socks on. Hopefully once I put normal socks they feel better.

Also does Carmina normally put stickers on the sole like this!? View attachment 1740659 View attachment 1740660
The clear sticker, yes. The white sticker - usually only if it’s sold by a 3rd party.
I don’t find Simpson to be particularly small - I go TTS. It is lower volume than many of Carmina’s other lasts, but not a half size different in my experience (except maybe from Soller)

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
The clear sticker, yes. The white sticker - usually only if it’s sold by a 3rd party.
I don’t find Simpson to be particularly small - I go TTS. It is lower volume than many of Carmina’s other lasts, but not a half size different in my experience (except maybe from Soller)

I think the issue that most people have with simpson is the instep rather than the width. I do find them to be pretty snug in terms of instep, even a half size up from brannock, but the width is good.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the issue that most people have with simpson is the instep rather than the width. I do find them to be pretty snug in terms of instep, even a half size up from brannock, but the width is good.
Agree the instep is on the low side. Though, context is important - it has a bit higher instep than the equivalent size AE 65-lasted sure, for example.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Agree the instep is on the low side. Though, context is important - it has a bit higher instep than the equivalent size AE 65-lasted sure, for example.

Can you share your sizes? Really just curious... It's hard for me to even compare in that way since I need to fiddle with sizing on both lasts. On the Simpson, I found the instep to be a bit tight a half size up from brannock. On the 65, I can wear a half size down from brannock but either a EE or EEE... or I can wear a full size down from brannock in a EEE. I can also wear the 65 in my brannock size but prefer not to since they run a little long and I also find that they are less prone to creasing through the caps if I take a shorter size.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you share your sizes? Really just curious... It's hard for me to even compare in that way since I need to fiddle with sizing on both lasts. On the Simpson, I found the instep to be a bit tight a half size up from brannock. On the 65, I can wear a half size down from brannock but either a EE or EEE... or I can wear a full size down from brannock in a EEE. I can also wear the 65 in my brannock size but prefer not to since they run a little long and I also find that they are less prone to creasing through the caps if I take a shorter size.
Certainly! I'm typically 11D US, and a 10UK (sometimes 9.5 UK as European makers tend to have higher volume).

AE sizing (11D unless noted):
  • 65 last: very good fit, with moderate v-gap (more than Simpson)
  • 511: reasonable fit, a bit more volume than I'd like, and a bit on the short side
  • 333: my favorite. More length than I need, but great fit. Now discontinue.
  • 1943: I take 11.5D, and that is similar to 11D in the 333, but slightly tighter in the toes
  • 1757: usually great in 11D (Higgins Mill). Strangely, I needed 11.5D in lace-to-toe boots (which may impact fit), and that made the model fit well.
  • 2622: 11D is very good (Landon)
  • 201: 11D is great in a boot, or in shoes with poron. Oxfords without poron had too much volume for me.
  • 79 (Randolph): 10.5D is very very good. Any shorter would be a problem.
  • 606 (Patriot): 11D is good in suede, but too sloppy in shell
  • 2042 (Acheson, Palm Beach): 10.5D is good, but slightly short in the toes. Not quite short enough to be an issue, but more toe crunch than with the Randolph.
  • I'm sure I am missing a couple, but that should account for most.
  • Neo1's AE sizing guide is the definitive reference here: https://www.styleforum.net/ams/allen-edmonds-fit-sizing-help.124455/
Carmina (10UK in all, so far):
  • Simpson: my best last of any maker I've tried.
  • Alcudia: similar to Simpson, but just a touch too much volume at the throat. Not the instep, it's at the very top of the instep.
  • Uetam: heel is a bit large for me, but an OK fit (especially considering loafer).
  • Inca: only works for me with a thin pad to remove volume. A bit tight on the big toe.
  • Oscar: great fit, especially in a boot.
  • Robert: I love the toe shape, good fit but only with open lacing.
  • Rain and Llubi don't work for me.
  • Soller is way too big for me, but I suspect it might be really really good in 9.5UK. Haven't had the opportunity to try that yet.
  • Typically custom orders for me are Oscar, Simpson, or Alcudia - I vote with my wallet.
  • I went waaaaay into my views of Carmina fit in this post: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...eviews-advice-sizing-etc.241469/post-10128537
Hope this helps!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads