• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

officine

Reaction score
A dedication to the Rain lovers and haters alike.....

45BC879E-D59F-41C9-A0C0-A925076FE644.jpeg

Any more MTO Calways landed...need to give mine a proper spin.
Get to it!

thefoobar

Reaction score
How does Rain D compare to classic Rain and Simpson?

The heel approximates the Simpson, the vamp/instep is slightly more relaxed than the Simpson. Regarding the toe area, on two of my Rain Ds the toe box is more relaxed than Simpson, but on the third it is just as tight. As they were all MTO'ed, I'm not quite sure which toe box configuration is most accurate.

I guess the best way to summarize it is that it allows you enjoy a Simpson like fit without having to go up the 1/2 size.

Adding to the public service for people who like classic chisel toe lasts:

out.jpg

Here's 10085 (Simpson Vegano) and 80105 (Rain D Shell) both 8.5UK on my left foot. I apologize for the quality but I simply can't get enough light to present them nicely as it's twilight and stormy here. Here are the differences in my examples:

Rain D:
  • Higher arch (note in photos I lace completely closed)
  • Wider heel (+2mm compared to Simpson)
  • Narrower ball of foot (-2mm compared to Simpson on 8.5UK)
  • More asymmetrical toe (big toe points straight)

Simpson:

• Narrower toe (the point of the toe is slightly narrower and slightly more chiselled)
  • Shallow arch (note I don't lace completely closed)
  • Wider ball of foot (+2mm approx compared to Rain D on 8.5UK)
  • Narrower heel (-2mm approx compared to Rain D)
  • More symmetrical toe (big toe points crooked to outside)
If you have low-volume "narrowish" feet, you'll probably like Simpson. If you have narrow feet with normal to high arches, you may find Rain D slightly more comfortable than Simpson, but they're both pretty good. If you have narrow feet with flat arches you're SOL. My dream last would be Rain D with Simpson heel.

Also, everyone's noted that tightness of fit seems to be a little inconsistent across MTOs.

zaiten

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the group and I have been following the great information that all of you are providing.
I'm planning to get my first pair of Carmina and the most famous dilemma about the last twisted my head.
My target is the wholecut Chelsea but I don't know which last to go for.
I attached an 11 US non-carmina boot that I purchase lately but one small issue is hurting me, the right pinky toe and only the right one. I managed to expand it a little and I believe if I used it more it will be fine by the time ( I only used it twice only beside the breaking period).
My question: what is the nearest last for the one in the photos, considering that my current boots are a bit snug. and shall I go with 10UK or 10.5UK?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

IMG_0864.jpg
IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_0866.jpg

officine

Reaction score
Adding to the public service for people who like classic chisel toe lasts:

View attachment 1418282

Here's 10085 (Simpson Vegano) and 80105 (Rain D Shell) both 8.5UK on my left foot. I apologize for the quality but I simply can't get enough light to present them nicely as it's twilight and stormy here. Here are the differences in my examples:

Rain D:
  • Higher arch (note in photos I lace completely closed)
  • Wider heel (+2mm compared to Simpson)
  • Narrower ball of foot (-2mm compared to Simpson on 8.5UK)
  • More asymmetrical toe (big toe points straight)

Simpson:
  • Narrower toe (the point of the toe is slightly narrower and slightly more chiselled)
  • Shallow arch (note I don't lace completely closed)
  • Wider ball of foot (+2mm approx compared to Rain D on 8.5UK)
  • Narrower heel (-2mm approx compared to Rain D)
  • More symmetrical toe (big toe points crooked to outside)
If you have low-volume "narrowish" feet, you'll probably like Simpson. If you have narrow feet with normal to high arches, you may find Rain D slightly more comfortable than Simpson, but they're both pretty good. If you have narrow feet with flat arches you're SOL. My dream last would be Rain D with Simpson heel.

Also, everyone's noted that tightness of fit seems to be a little inconsistent across MTOs.
Very informative post ?

officine

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the group and I have been following the great information that all of you are providing.
I'm planning to get my first pair of Carmina and the most famous dilemma about the last twisted my head.
My target is the wholecut Chelsea but I don't know which last to go for.
I attached an 11 US non-carmina boot that I purchase lately but one small issue is hurting me, the right pinky toe and only the right one. I managed to expand it a little and I believe if I used it more it will be fine by the time ( I only used it twice only beside the breaking period).
My question: what is the nearest last for the one in the photos, considering that my current boots are a bit snug. and shall I go with 10UK or 10.5UK?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

View attachment 1418326 View attachment 1418327 View attachment 1418328
Welcome to the club.

Without knowing what brand and last these are it is tricky to say what size to take. Is it a narrow or regular fitting last?

If you are looking for that chiseled shape then you can't go wrong with the Rain (see my boots above). I'd say a regular Rain rather than a Rain D in your case to safely accommodate your pinky on the right foot; and if they prove to be a bit big on your left foot it is okay as boots are more forgiving due to the extra lacing.

I'd take whatever your Brannock size is in UK length.

zaiten

Reaction score
Welcome to the club.

Without knowing what brand and last these are it is tricky to say what size to take. Is it a narrow or regular fitting last?

If you are looking for that chiseled shape then you can't go wrong with the Rain (see my boots above). I'd say a regular Rain rather than a Rain D in your case to safely accommodate your pinky on the right foot; and if they prove to be a bit big on your left foot it is okay as boots are more forgiving due to the extra lacing.

I'd take whatever your Brannock size is in UK length.
Thanks for your response.
It a Thursdayboots and they are saying it’s a regular width ( although it looks a bit narrow or that’s what I feel)
About the last I don’t really know as they are not mentioning any.
I’d see my Brannock size and will follow that.
But in case Rain regular have the same issue with my pinky, will expanding help with that until good use do the job.
Thanks again for your input. ?

officine

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.
It a Thursdayboots and they are saying it’s a regular width ( although it looks a bit narrow or that’s what I feel)
About the last I don’t really know as they are not mentioning any.
I’d see my Brannock size and will follow that.
But in case Rain regular have the same issue with my pinky, will expanding help with that until good use do the job.
Thanks again for your input. ?
I see. It goes without saying that you are better off getting your hands on a pair of Rain to be properly sized, but if you are prepared to go forward IMO get your UK Brannock size in regular Rain. Good luck.

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Mto Calway.
Little update re leather. The Elbamatt is firmer than I initially thought but will soften beautifully I’m sure. It’s a thickish leather and already burnished nicely at source so will be a great addition. I think if another mto weekend were to materialise I’d go for an all suede version as think it’d really suit the aesthetic of the boot.

Attachments

• B3B54DAA-7E39-4605-ABE6-E63F3D766C4E.jpeg
    B3B54DAA-7E39-4605-ABE6-E63F3D766C4E.jpeg
    484.4 KB · Views: 99

lcdx22

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on soller vs Oscar last. When I use the online last comparison, it appears the shape is basically the same with Soller just running a bit wider and longer.

I am looking to get a cap toe boot. So my question is regarding the length of the cap on either of those lasts? Is the cap proportionally the same size on both or does the Soller cap run longer?

If anyone has a comparison in actual cap toe boots in both lasts it would be helpful.

Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads