• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CMR16

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been lurking around the Carmina boards (and official store) for quite some time. I've spent years here on the Allen Edmonds appreciation board. I love my Allen Edmonds and they have treated me more than well but now that I am making decent money I want to expand the collection.

What I am mainly worried about is the possible fees that come from importing from Spain. I've seen horror stories on here. Do you guys know who Carmina uses to ship to the United States? What kind of brokerage fees and other costs can I expect? Any insight would be lovely before I blindly place an order and then have to bend over and take it without lubrication.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been lurking around the Carmina boards (and official store) for quite some time. I've spent years here on the Allen Edmonds appreciation board. I love my Allen Edmonds and they have treated me more than well but now that I am making decent money I want to expand the collection.

What I am mainly worried about is the possible fees that come from importing from Spain. I've seen horror stories on here. Do you guys know who Carmina uses to ship to the United States? What kind of brokerage fees and other costs can I expect? Any insight would be lovely before I blindly place an order and then have to bend over and take it without lubrication.

orders below 800$ don’t have any of those duties/taxes

CMR16

Reaction score

So you are only responsible for the carrier brokerage fee? Do you normally know what either DHL or UPS charges? I thought I read on UPS' site that they charge like $500. That is just shy of my entire order. Lol

DL120

Reaction score

ive received many of pairs from carmina all over $800 and never was hit with fees. When you order from the us site, it’s purchasing from their us company, billed to and from their us company on the invoice and receipt.If they don’t have the shoes In stock in their nyc warehouse they will drop ship from Spain, but it shouldn’t have an import duty. I’ve been hit with significant fees from skoaktie and saint crispins but never carmina.

CMR16

Reaction score
ive received many of pairs from carmina all over $800 and never was hit with fees. When you order from the us site, it’s purchasing from their us company, billed to and from their us company on the invoice and receipt.If they don’t have the shoes In stock in their nyc warehouse they will drop ship from Spain, but it shouldn’t have an import duty. I’ve been hit with significant fees from skoaktie and saint crispins but never carmina.

When the fine people of Styleforum are more reliable than Google you know you are in the right place. Thank you for being quicker than Carmina customer service.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 Carmina covers import duties when you order from US site. DHL charged me 10% duty on a $900 order once, but Carmina reimbursed me within a couple of days of my contacting them.

DL120

Reaction score
Odd. I purchased a pair of bourbon cordovan boots almost two weeks ago and haven't heard a thing re shipping them.
It’ll all depend on if they’re in stock in NYC or Spain, Spain maybe actually be faster. Also if any add ons are requested, toe plate it may add a few days to a week because that artisan is only in the warehouse in Spain once a week based on my last chat with them.

good luck and wear in good health!

Mothetgoo

Reaction score

I have placed a bunch of orders (many over $800) with Carmina and never had any issues with any of this. The shipping has always been free, to my door, with no customs or brokerage fees. I think the only way you would run into it is if you order from the non-US website. I think the US website’s prices are higher than you get if you use a vpn to go to a European website and subtract GMT, but I think the reason for this is that any customs, etc., are included.

Tamago

Reaction score
Hello all, new to this thread and I am looking for some advice on forest last loafer. Do you guys recommend size down comparing to oxfords?
I had a pair of tricky Simpson last Oxford on 8.5UK. It’s a bit too long and too high instep, while forefoot is snug fit after break in. I’d sad to say Simpson poorly fits me.
i normally take UK8 on oxfords, and 7.5 on loafers (slight loose if not wearing socks, 7 will be snug fit in such case)

Any suggestion will be much appreciated. Thanks.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Just completed a little project - waxed my tobacco suede jumpers. Thought I'd share some images.

The full album and story is on Imgur, here.

Before - 1 year ago, indoor lighting:

lFuNAZJ.jpg

4 months ago - in the sun:

GU1hpho.jpg

Very rich, captivating colour. I found it difficult to pair with many of my pieces so I decided to try to mute some the richness with otter wax.

Immediately after waxing:

ZotZEHL.jpg

2zvOYIF.jpg

These sat for 12 hours or so, then I took a heatgun to it and raised the nap. Then they sat for another couple of ours to cool off.

6XqPOkj.jpg

Here is the end result:

Qtb32ym.jpg

ALGmX3j.jpg

g5Uynqu.jpg

On foot, in sunlight:

y7z058H.jpg

3KViWjg.jpg

Super happy with the results!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just completed a little project - waxed my tobacco suede jumpers. Thought I'd share some images.

The full album and story is on Imgur, here.

Before - 1 year ago, indoor lighting:

lFuNAZJ.jpg

4 months ago - in the sun:

GU1hpho.jpg

Very rich, captivating colour. I found it difficult to pair with many of my pieces so I decided to try to mute some the richness with otter wax.

Immediately after waxing:

ZotZEHL.jpg

2zvOYIF.jpg

These sat for 12 hours or so, then I took a heatgun to it and raised the nap. Then they sat for another couple of ours to cool off.

6XqPOkj.jpg

Here is the end result:

Qtb32ym.jpg

ALGmX3j.jpg

g5Uynqu.jpg

On foot, in sunlight:

y7z058H.jpg

3KViWjg.jpg

Super happy with the results!
They look good, but tobacco is such a versatile color. It practically goes with everything

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads