• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the Carmina experts. The suede LWB's on the webstore are listed as EE fitting. Is this a normal fitting for the Detriot last? I'm interested in them and wear a US12.5D in the Barrie - would a UK12 in this partucular shoe work for me?

I wear a US13 on the Barrie last and wear a UK12 in Detroit, although it is fairly snug at the lacing. However my pair has closed lacing. I think a UK11.5 might be better for you.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear a US13 on the Barrie last and wear a UK12 in Detroit, although it is fairly snug at the lacing.  However my pair has closed lacing.  I think a UK11.5 might be better for you.

Interesting. Do you find going down a full size from Barrie makes them pretty tight? I'm not so keen on tightness and prefer a looser fit.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Do you find going down a full size from Barrie makes them pretty tight? I'm not so keen on tightness and prefer a looser fit.

Length-wise and in the toe box they're perfect. They're a little tight right under the lacing, but not painfully so, and it's been less noticeable after breaking in. I feel like they'd be too loose at a 12.5, especially in a pair of bluchers. For reference, I wear a 12.5 in Forest and Oscar and both fit me well in that size.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Length-wise and in the toe box they're perfect. They're a little tight right under the lacing, but not painfully so, and it's been less noticeable after breaking in.

I wear 8 Barrie and 7UK Detroit and this was my experience as well. Got the sizing advice from @coolarrow and it works well for me.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear 8 Barrie and 7UK Detroit and this was my experience as well.  Got the sizing advice from @coolarrow
and it works well for me.

Length-wise and in the toe box they're perfect.  They're a little tight right under the lacing, but not painfully so, and it's been less noticeable after breaking in.  I feel like they'd be too loose at a 12.5, especially in a pair of bluchers.  For reference, I wear a 12.5 in Forest and Oscar and both fit me well in that size.

Do you guys have any pics of your full-size-down-from-Barrie Detroits being worn? I'm trying to get an idea of how the lacing will look.

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any pics of your full-size-down-from-Barrie Detroits being worn? I'm trying to get an idea of how the lacing will look.

Those are two that are posted on this thread in the past. Here is the comparison to Alden Barrie last that I shared as well, which you can see the length is very similar & the pointer toe box of the Detroit last:

(L: Carmina Detroit 7UK, R: Alden Barrie 8D)

Last edited:

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Looking good. Out of interest what shape is your foot? Flat / high, narrow / wide? Also, I'm looking at suede not cordovan - would that make a difference? Sorry to ask so many questions, I just don't want to have to return them which would be mucho $.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops, looking at those photos makes me think I should have chosen Detroit size 9.5 EEE instead of 10 EEE. My Barrie size is 10.5 EEE.

I ordered a shell PTB. Ah well, we'll see...

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Looking good. Out of interest what shape is your foot? Flat / high, narrow / wide? Also, I'm looking at suede not cordovan - would that make a difference? Sorry to ask so many questions, I just don't want to have to return them which would be mucho $.

I would say my feet are more flat/slightly wide (I do medium D width on all shoes typically). I found the Detroit last sized 1 full size down from Barrie to be a tad snugger, so if your Barrie fit is a little generous I'd say you'd be fine.

JR Magat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JR Magat do you go full size down from alden Barry to detroit on both suede & calf or only in suede?

The only Carmina I currently own is the cognac shell LWB Detroit in 7UK, so I am not sure if suede or calf needs to be sized differently. I can only assume sizing would be the same

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads