• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thuhoan

Reaction score
Gents, can I get some advice?

Do you guys install flush metal toe cap on your every dress shoes? Is it always recommended to have the metal toe cap? or does it depend on your walking style (whether you hit the toe on the ground a lot?) Thank you in advance.

I do on leather soles, as I wear out the toes quickly. My shoes with rubber soles or topy are fine.

oskrusa

Reaction score

Do you guys install flush metal toe cap on your every dress shoes? Is it always recommended to have the metal toe cap? or does it depend on your walking style (whether you hit the toe on the ground a lot?) Thank you in advance.

I would highly recommended metal toe caps for walking on pavement, especially if you live in a walking community such as NY.

As mentioned by @thuhoan, a good alternative would be a topy or commando/victoria/dainite/rubber soles.

jctune

Reaction score

I wear out my soles at the toe pretty quickly - my rule of thumb is to install toe taps on all single leather soles. I generally don't on double leather or rubber soles. I do also look at how far the soles come out past the toe on the leather (I'm sure there's a technical term for this) in deciding whether to get toe taps on a particular pair.

jamesnyc

Reaction score
I do on leather soles, as I wear out the toes quickly. My shoes with rubber soles or topy are fine.
I would highly recommended metal toe caps for walking on pavement, especially if you live in a walking community such as NY.

As mentioned by @thuhoan, a good alternative would be a topy or commando/victoria/dainite/rubber soles.
I wear out my soles at the toe pretty quickly - my rule of thumb is to install toe taps on all single leather soles. I generally don't on double leather or rubber soles. I do also look at how far the soles come out past the toe on the leather (I'm sure there's a technical term for this) in deciding whether to get toe taps on a particular pair.

Thank you so much for you guys' advice. If you guys live in NYC, is there any recommended cobbler shop?

gld edmond

Reaction score
I am having toe taps and sole guards installed on a leather sole shoes. It sounds like if you have a sole guard you do not need toe taps, is that right?

jctune

Reaction score
I am having toe taps and sole guards installed on a leather sole shoes. It sounds like if you have a sole guard you do not need toe taps, is that right?
I've never done sole guards so I can't comment with experience. However, my understanding is that the sole guard is a pretty thin protective layer. Personally with thin soles I would still do toe taps.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B Nelson in NYC has done a pair of toe plates for me. I have had Carmina do them on a MTO order, but I don't religiously have them done to all shoes. I am a Boston guy, and I haven't attempted to find anyone local who I'd trust to do them.

If I were in NYC, B Nelson is thoroughly trustworthy, and I might have them do them on more shoes.

I am basically a styfo dork with enough shoes that I am not risking much. If I were in suits 5 days a week, and wearing out 5-7pairs of Oxford year round, I might need them. I do think they help keep up the look of shoes - but today I am in all lines and suede Carmina loafers that look worn in - I don't really aim to keep these looking minty fresh.

jamesnyc

Reaction score
B Nelson in NYC has done a pair of toe plates for me. I have had Carmina do them on a MTO order, but I don't religiously have them done to all shoes. I am a Boston guy, and I haven't attempted to find anyone local who I'd trust to do them.

If I were in NYC, B Nelson is thoroughly trustworthy, and I might have them do them on more shoes.

I am basically a styfo dork with enough shoes that I am not risking much. If I were in suits 5 days a week, and wearing out 5-7pairs of Oxford year round, I might need them. I do think they help keep up the look of shoes - but today I am in all lines and suede Carmina loafers that look worn in - I don't really aim to keep these looking minty fresh.

Thank you for your recommendation. I also heard a lot about B. Nelson, but the reviews of B. Nelson are vary. Some of my colleagues told me that they don't recommend that shop, but in the SF, most of people recommend B. Nelson. But maybe just depends on what you want to do?

jamesnyc

Reaction score
I've never done sole guards so I can't comment with experience. However, my understanding is that the sole guard is a pretty thin protective layer. Personally with thin soles I would still do toe taps.

Can I ask you why you preferred toe taps over sole guard?

jctune

Reaction score
Can I ask you why you preferred toe taps over sole guard?
This is my perception (and experience) - happy to have someone more knowledgeable chime in and set me straight if necessary.

It appears to me that they solve different problems. A toe tap solves the problem of premature wear at the toe. I'm at work so no pictures, but the one pair of single leather sole shoes I have that don't have a toe tap are showing significant wear at the toe after 50-60 wears. So much so that the leather at the tip of the toe is now getting scuffed. We aren't talking significant walking on concrete, etc. Just normal walking from car to office and then walking around the carpeted / tiled office.

A sole guard seems to me to protect against wear on the bottom of the sole. Think of pictures you see of worn soles where there is a hole in the sole at the ball of the foot. I also think there's a perception of a sole guard increasing traction.

On my shoes the toe of the sole will wear away much faster than the section under the ball.

That's my thought process. As I said I have no idea if these notions are really true - so happy to hear other experiences.

oskrusa

Reaction score
Thank you so much for you guys' advice. If you guys live in NYC, is there any recommended cobbler shop?

I believe Carmina NYC store is offering the metal taps installation service for Carmina shoes only. I think it is $50 per pair.
You should give them a ring.

Minas in downtown is also a good alternative to B.Nelson, but the old man passed away a year or two ago, so, don't know how it is being run, give them a call.

Vince's Village cobbler is also good, he has installed topys for me a couple of times but I have never asked if he offers metal toe caps for GYW shoes.

Last edited:

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I believe Carmina NYC store is offering the metal taps installation service for Carmina shoes only. I think it is $50 per pair.
You should give them a ring.

Minas in downtown is also a good alternative to B.Nelson, but the old man passed away a year or two ago, so, don't know how it is being run, give them a call.

Vince's Village cobbler is also good, he has installed topys for me a couple of times but I have never asked if he offers metal toe caps for GYW shoes.

Exactly, the staff in-store confirmed we charge 50$ for the metal toe caps. You can also give them a call at: +1 212 687 0222 for more details.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I've never bothered with metal toe taps because I don't want the noise and my typical wear pattern involves more wear at the heel than the toe.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get any extra noise from metal taps - that far forward on the shoe never taps the ground to make noise. It contacts the ground as you push off during walking, but if anything makes noise when I walk it's the heel. I always get metal taps when offered because I see it as cheap insurance and protection.

gld edmond

Reaction score
I don't get any extra noise from metal taps - that far forward on the shoe never taps the ground to make noise. It contacts the ground as you push off during walking, but if anything makes noise when I walk it's the heel. I always get metal taps when offered because I see it as cheap insurance and protection.
I am waiting on some shoes with toe taps (my first try), I am glad to hear they don't make extra noise, I have enough problems:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads