• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all honesty fellow in paper hand welted is superior no doubt about it. In actual reality, I can’t tell a dam difference durability wise. This is after owning higher end brand to low end brand. But I do find hand welted shoes lot stiffer than good year welted. Right out of a box, they both are very good buy what you like. You can resole Gwynn shoes five to eight times. Then they are done. Same can be applied to handwleted also. Yes you can resole them more. But after eight resole shoes are going to look like crap & it’s time to retire them.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all honesty fellow in paper hand welted is superior no doubt about it. In actual reality, I can’t tell a dam difference durability wise. This is after owning higher end brand to low end brand. But I do find hand welted shoes lot stiffer than good year welted. Right out of a box, they both are very good buy what you like. You can resole Gwynn shoes five to eight times. Then they are done. Same can be applied to handwleted also. Yes you can resole them more. But after eight resole shoes are going to look like crap & it’s time to retire them.
I own both and in my experience its right the opposite. My handwelted shoes are more flexible, lighter and comfortable than my gyw. They feel like slippers compared to gyw. Gyw out of the box can be very stiff and needs above 10 wears to break in and become comfortable.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own both and in my experience its right the opposite. My handwelted shoes are much more flexible, lighter and comfortable than gyw. They feel like slippers compared to gyw. Gyw out of the box can be very stiff and needs above 10 wears to really break in and become comfortable.
Comfort varies from person to person & it’s very subjective thing. I was taking about durability etc

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at you fellas collection it’s clear you are fine with it. I wouldn’t presume to speak for you guys or anyone other than myself. I also don’t disagree with you both in the statement about their place amongst other makers. I really do love the brand; I personally prefer them to Alden. I do own hand welted shoes I’ve spent significantly more on; but it will be a very cold day when I pay that price for a good year welted derbies/bluchers etc... Boots are another matter entirely; again these are simply the personal spending choices of Stephen. I don’t hold anyone in ill regard that chooses to do so.

Makes perfect sense. :)

I have a psychological inability to spend over 1k on shoes (though I was able to rationalize a recent Bonafe order by using some credit I had from a return), so have ended up with mostly Goodyear footwear. I know they’re inferior to handwelted, but I suppose I’ve convinced myself that Given the size of my rotation and mostly urban walking environment, I won’t really notice much practical difference in the end.

I do hear you though. I miss the days when shell cordovan Carminas could be had for 500$!

Alden too, for that matter! Just got a preorder email from a top tier retailer asking $770 for black shell derby!!!

Yikes, first world problems eh? Lol Hey, I ain’t mad at them, if consumers are willing to give them that kind of money for GYW black shell, why not.

Don’t misunderstand me though. I’ve got almost exclusively GYW, I don’t have anything against them. But given my appetite for, and the amount of shoe purchases, I have to set some guidelines for myself.

No static here - I was mostly wondering whether you had a shell vendor I should be aware of!

Obviously, I’m familiar with at least some of your boot collection ... and I can understand why you may not want to pay retail price for a commonly-available style such as a PTB. I’m with you there, actually - my MTOs are typically something I just can’t get otherwise.

And full disclosure - though I do think Carmina is an excellent value at retail price, though a combination of luck and diligence I have mostly gotten my shell for a substantial discount (most notably, when the exact shoe I had almost pulled the trigger on via a custom order essentially dropped into my lap for half price - better to be lucky than good).

No experience with handwelted here - haven’t really seen a need since my current footwear is adequate, and my rotation size is sufficient to endure longevity...

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need to pick everyone’s brain. What are your thoughts on navy suede penny loafers? Something like the attachment.

025D1E08-C09B-41D2-BE34-AD0BF8A48DD6.jpeg

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No static here - I was mostly wondering whether you had a shell vendor I should be aware of!

Obviously, I’m familiar with at least some of your boot collection ... and I can understand why you may not want to pay retail price for a commonly-available style such as a PTB. I’m with you there, actually - my MTOs are typically something I just can’t get otherwise.

And full disclosure - though I do think Carmina is an excellent value at retail price, though a combination of luck and diligence I have mostly gotten my shell for a substantial discount (most notably, when the exact shoe I had almost pulled the trigger on via a custom order essentially dropped into my lap for half price - better to be lucky than good).

No experience with handwelted here - haven’t really seen a need since my current footwear is adequate, and my rotation size is sufficient to endure longevity...

No vendors to pass along. I try to do the same as you and be opportunistic in my Carmina purchases.

My approach to shoes is much the same as my approach to cigars and scotch. The ones that are created with hand crafted diligence, I revere. Sure, I could buy machine made cigars that are adequate, and get adequate rye or bourbon. But the hand made cigars and aged single malts I appreciate in a way I can’t with the other examples. It’s the craftsmanship I admire and am fascinated with. But, I do have a few ryes and bourbon’s on the bar.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need to pick everyone’s brain. What are your thoughts on navy suede penny loafers? Something like the attachment.

View attachment 1057856

Those are gorgeous and I really love all of the Carmina suede I have. A pair of those are on my want list!

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1057856

Yes. Those are awesome. Navy suede is always good. I don't have a pair of navy pennies, but I'd gladly accept them in! I've got several suede pennies, and a navy tassel.

Those are gorgeous and I really love all of the Carmina suede I have. A pair of those are on my want list!

Fully support this. As Stephen says, Carmina suede is excellent. I have 2 blue suede loafers (one is the same as madhat, because we are loafer besties) and they are quite versatile.

I also have this model of penny (though in brown suede) and it’s easily my most comfortable loafer.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is Carmina sourcing their suede these days? Is it full grain reverse calf or a split hide?

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fully support this. As Stephen says, Carmina suede is excellent. I have 2 blue suede loafers (one is the same as madhat, because we are loafer besties) and they are quite versatile.

I also have this model of penny (though in brown suede) and it’s easily my most comfortable loafer.
Gents, many thanks for the feedback. Great to read I’ve nafe a good choice. Got them during the mto weekend. I’ve opted for the rain last and rendenbach sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics