• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Subidoc, I suspect you are sizing down on the Oscar because the instep is bigger than in typical AE shoes (and certainly bigger than the 65). This is probably causing the ankle pressure you report - the shoe may just be a bit too small in the relevant areas, but note that "relevant areas" would be complex in this case, with the overall length of the shoe a factor, and I suspect this may mean the shoe is too short. I think your comment about your arch (in the air) means that the shoe instep may still be too big for you. If I'm correct (and that's a big if), that would mean you should target shoes with a smaller instep (I'll respectfully disagree with Paul here - I suspect Soller is not the right direction to go). I have some Oscar jumper boots in my typical Carmina size, but I think if I went down a half size I'd experience the same ankle pressure.

The Simpson fits quite similar to the 65, with just a touch more room in the cone. If the 65 fits well in 9.5D (and you do NOT have a fully closed lacing gap), the Simpson in 8.5 would be likely to fit you well. Alcudia is also similar, but with a higher instep - you'd need a lacing gap of at least 1/2" in the 65 for Alcudia to work. Rain has a huge instep, and you would potentially need to size down to 8. It would have less room for your pinky toes than the Oscar, but more room in the instep and a much bigger heel. Uetam might also work in 8.5 if you are looking for loafers.

If you can post a couple of photos to show fit, it might help all of us provide better inputs - hope this helps!

Jet
You could be onto something. I did not notice that @Subidoc chose a 1/2 size down in Oscar (where 9.5 US generally is a 8.5 UK, not 8.0 UK). If the problem is not enough room in the instep, going with 8.5UK in Oscar may solve this. If everything else is OK, though, the bigger instep Soller in 8UK might work. I took the "arch in the air" to mean under the foot. IE he has high arches and did not initially get the support underneath. I think that is still not clear. My Carminas are 8.5UK for the record. @Subidoc give us some more info, please.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the Navy color. May I ask how you take care of them? Do you just use colorless waxes and polishes? Or is there a specific brand & color you use?

For shell cordovan, I use saphir renovatuer and saphir cordovan cream (neutral) about once every 30-40 wears. In between I just wipe with a damp cloth and brush vigorously for 3-5 minutes.

Sometimes I will add neutral paste wax to the toe for an extra shine but not on brogues, as I hate the wax build up in the holes.

Subidoc

Reaction score
You could be onto something. I did not notice that @Subidoc chose a 1/2 size down in Oscar (where 9.5 US generally is a 8.5 UK, not 8.0 UK). If the problem is not enough room in the instep, going with 8.5UK in Oscar may solve this. If everything else is OK, though, the bigger instep Soller in 8UK might work. I took the "arch in the air" to mean under the foot. IE he has high arches and did not initially get the support underneath. I think that is still not clear. My Carminas are 8.5UK for the record. @Subidoc give us some more info, please.
Paul, I think you are right about the issue of sizing and my arch being higher. That would explain why pressure is felt in front of the ankle around the instep. Perhaps a blucher style boot would have worked better???
I am concerned that going up in size to 8.5 may be too large since the current length works fine. My toes seem comfortable and no pinching is noted.
I'm sincerely grateful for your help.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20190122_095228.jpg 20190122_095322.jpg

This photo shows the color better

20190122_130647.jpg

Last edited:

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew I would get that question....The original model was on the Simpson last, a few years ago Skoaktiebolaget convinced Carmina to do a GMTO on the Rain last. To this day I'm not convinced that these are actually on the rain. They do fit well, a little on the narrow side. They are size UK 9.5. Normally I go up half a size for Simpson. The photos make them look brown, they're actually burdeos (burgundy).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads