• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Russian Grains out here? I'm thinking about placing an order but wanted to 1) get some encouragement through photos and 2) get peoples' take on the leather

Photo included as partial payment for your advice and tradsies for some Russian Grain photos

View attachment 1786295
Other than Shell it’s my favorite leather.
6759D23D-0E76-4C5A-AC0A-EA9539EB50AB.jpeg

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Russian Grains out here? I'm thinking about placing an order but wanted to 1) get some encouragement through photos and 2) get peoples' take on the leather

Photo included as partial payment for your advice and tradsies for some Russian Grain photos

View attachment 1786295
I’m a fan:
61FE566B-724A-4C95-9D62-AF4FBE77E94F.jpeg
8BB479B3-4980-4FBA-83B2-B97A3D1A2CF2.jpeg

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Pennypacker - Is there any way you could compare the Uetam last for general fit, arch + instep against the FOREST and TLB GOYA lasts ??

There's so little info that I've been able to find about the Uetam and UetamEE lasts that I've pretty much given up on buying Carmina loafers, since fit is so critical in loafers... And Carmina's own brief description makes it sound just TOO narrow for my standard TTS of US9D, that fits great in both TLB Artista GOYA and Carlos Santos 401 lasts...
Hi! I wish I could help, but I have no experience with Carmina's Forest last or Goya last from TLB, unfortunately. I've read that the Uetam last is narrow, but that's not the case for me, and my feet are on the wider side and my instep has some volume to it. I'm really not sure if I have a really high instep, but I suspect it's on the higher side than the norm. I don't think the last is narrower than the standard width. I wouldn't recommend sizing down from your usual size since the heel counter really cups your heel. From all of the loafers I have, the Uetam's heel counter has the most aggressive heel counter. I also wouldn't recommend going up in size, since the instep is a tiny bit high for a loafer. I added tongue pads to my pair and initially it felt right, but as I've been breaking them in, I'm now realizing the instep is a bit tight and I was going through break in process. Also, initially they felt too long.

I remember my initial thoughts being '****. I sized wrong. These are a bit long and I don't fill in the instep, BUT the toebox feels right. Idk if I could size down.'
I then inquired on here and a few members stated if it feels right in the toebox, regardless of feeling a bit long and filling in the instep to ignore the considerable heel slip and air 'swoosh' noise. I did so and now they feel great. Whenever I have time, I'm going to remove the tongue pads. No swoosh anymore, they don't feel long anymore, and the instep feels a bit too snug for long days. Go your usual size. Purchase a stock model so you could return them if you're thinking of doing an MTO.

H. E. Pennypacker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice corduroy, where did you purchase them from?
I feel like I ask you this often. haha.
It's definitely novel, has a cool story and smells super strong. I like the graining on it too.
I really like the leather itself but I also feel it needs to be paired w the right pattern, and it can make a boot too baroque on particular patterns.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice corduroy, where did you purchase them from?
I feel like I ask you this often. haha.

I really like the leather itself but I also feel it needs to be paired w the right pattern, and it can make a boot too baroque on particular patterns.
Thanks, they were the eternal chestnut corduroy from Epaulet

EvilBoffin

Reaction score
Hi! I wish I could help, but I have no experience with Carmina's Forest last or Goya last from TLB, unfortunately. I've read that the Uetam last is narrow, but that's not the case for me, and my feet are on the wider side and my instep has some volume to it. I'm really not sure if I have a really high instep, but I suspect it's on the higher side than the norm. I don't think the last is narrower than the standard width. I wouldn't recommend sizing down from your usual size since the heel counter really cups your heel. From all of the loafers I have, the Uetam's heel counter has the most aggressive heel counter. I also wouldn't recommend going up in size, since the instep is a tiny bit high for a loafer. I added tongue pads to my pair and initially it felt right, but as I've been breaking them in, I'm now realizing the instep is a bit tight and I was going through break in process. Also, initially they felt too long.

I remember my initial thoughts being '****. I sized wrong. These are a bit long and I don't fill in the instep, BUT the toebox feels right. Idk if I could size down.'
I then inquired on here and a few members stated if it feels right in the toebox, regardless of feeling a bit long and filling in the instep to ignore the considerable heel slip and air 'swoosh' noise. I did so and now they feel great. Whenever I have time, I'm going to remove the tongue pads. No swoosh anymore, they don't feel long anymore, and the instep feels a bit too snug for long days. Go your usual size. Purchase a stock model so you could return them if you're thinking of doing an MTO.
Pennypacker - Thanks for sharing your experience with Uetam loafers. Sounds like it tried your patience during break-in, and demonstrates the extreme challenge that buyers have in dealing with brands that make SO MANY lasts and fitments.

My forefoot width was heavily cramped for size 9D in 3 different Allen Edmonds pairs I bought recently + returned. That consistent issue in 3 different lasts from a well-established brand convinced me that I should buy wider pairs in any high-quality GYW shoes...

So I gave up on AE and tried some 9E-sized Alden loafers on their supposedly "True to Size" GRANT last. Yes - I did my research before buying them lightly used.. And though the craftsmanship was superior to AE, they swallowed my feet whole, like a pair of 10's overall.

I could certainly spend time+money+energy to zero-in on the perfect Alden or AE fitments, and maybe suffer through an uncomfortable break-in period, only to find out they were never really the correct size, and have to sell them as used.

Luckily, I've since had much better success going TTS with 9D in European brands such as TLB and Carlos Santos. Carmina caught my attention as well, though they're another maker with beaucoup-million lasts that I'd have to sift through...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member