• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kimistry

Reaction score
I just got my first pair of Carmina's (Semi-Brogue Oxfords Inca). Do you guys recommend doing anything with them before wearing them? For instance, I think I remember reading somewhere that people recommend conditioning and then polishing them. Not sure if I'm supposed to though...

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a pair of Carmina Balmoral boots in Ruby Shell Cordovan. How do you gents clean/condition the entirety of the tongue? It seems like an impossible task.

FONlx

Reaction score
I just got my first pair of Carmina's (Semi-Brogue Oxfords Inca). Do you guys recommend doing anything with them before wearing them? For instance, I think I remember reading somewhere that people recommend conditioning and then polishing them. Not sure if I'm supposed to though...

You should, if you want that leather to be nourished and well taken care, increasing therefore its lifespan.
You should at least condition.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a pair of Carmina Balmoral boots in Ruby Shell Cordovan. How do you gents clean/condition the entirety of the tongue? It seems like an impossible task.

Ah pics please.

Shell really only needs brushing.

I cleaned my pair last nite since I felt that I got some salt dust on them. I take out the laces go over the boot and tongue with a damp cloth (think how the towel is when you dry off after a shower). Don't do much to the tongue but brush the whole boot like crazy, then relace, and enjoy.

If you go on the shell thread there are many schools of thought generally with shell if it's looking good with just a wipe down and brushing no need to go further.

And don't forget the pics.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And don't forget the pics.

I'll make sure to get pictures in soon :)
They're absolutely gorgeous.

I'm very familiar with shell, and it's my all-time favourite leather. But because the tongue is so well hidden under the eyelet section (I'm not good with shoe anatomy) and quite deep, it's hard to get in there and brush it properly.

This particular pair looks as if it has been sitting on the shelf for a very long time - so I want to make sure I give it a good conditioning to prevent any cracking in the future.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll make sure to get pictures in soon :)
They're absolutely gorgeous.

I'm very familiar with shell, and it's my all-time favourite leather. But because the tongue is so well hidden under the eyelet section (I'm not good with shoe anatomy) and quite deep, it's hard to get in there and brush it properly.

This particular pair looks as if it has been sitting on the shelf for a very long time - so I want to make sure I give it a good conditioning to prevent any cracking in the future.

Yea the tongue is kinda a hard reach but laces out you can get some cream (I use Saphir) on it and then no need to really brush the tongue of a bal just wipe it clean with your fingers in a rag best you can get in there.

I have bought a few pairs of shell that also looked like it was sitting but just some brushing and real good shine. From what I know shell has a lot in it out of the box so not to much need to condition much. I doubt that your pair is going to crack due to drying out anytime soon. Again many actually countless schools of thought on care so do what works for you in the end.

Talking about schools of thought I was reading yesterday about conditioning the leather soles of shoes. So I did a little Google search and yup several products out there. Found one that cost over $30 for this tiny bottle and it says on the bottle "100% vegetable oil" ah I think I seen that at the grocery store, it was a few bucks for this huge jug.... Yes I know someone is going to say the stuff for $30+ has some secret sauce in it...maybe...but then should it not say 99.9999% vegetable oil, just saying. Not so sure I am ready to put vegetable oil on my leather soles, maybe I will try it on a cheap pair or one close to resole just for kicks.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A67988D6-4597-4886-B7EB-75110755DD8E.jpeg

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noticed these Cognac shells are already developing some patina.

BTW I was a bit unsure on the York sole but it's actually really nice especially for rainy days like today.

IMG_20180328_131802.jpg

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about schools of thought I was reading yesterday about conditioning the leather soles of shoes. So I did a little Google search and yup several products out there. Found one that cost over $30 for this tiny bottle and it says on the bottle "100% vegetable oil" ah I think I seen that at the grocery store, it was a few bucks for this huge jug.... Yes I know someone is going to say the stuff for $30+ has some secret sauce in it...maybe...but then should it not say 99.9999% vegetable oil, just saying. Not so sure I am ready to put vegetable oil on my leather soles, maybe I will try it on a cheap pair or one close to resole just for kicks.

Hahahaha. I don't understand the purpose of conditioning leather soles... They're going to hit the ground as soon as the conditioning is done. Very redundant imo.

I just gave the boots a good run-over with Saphir Renovateur. Partly for the conditioning. Partly for sniffing the cream. Smells so good. I used my finger to get deep into the tongue and did the best I could do spread the Renovateur all over. Now it's the waiting game for the cream to get absorbed. I'll give it a good brushing and then re-lace the boots.

I took pictures - here's an entire album to enjoy.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha. I don't understand the purpose of conditioning leather soles... They're going to hit the ground as soon as the conditioning is done. Very redundant imo.

I just gave the boots a good run-over with Saphir Renovateur. Partly for the conditioning. Partly for sniffing the cream. Smells so good. I used my finger to get deep into the tongue and did the best I could do spread the Renovateur all over. Now it's the waiting game for the cream to get absorbed. I'll give it a good brushing and then re-lace the boots.

I took pictures - here's an entire album to enjoy.

Well done!

Kimistry

Reaction score

So in looking at my shoes more closely, I did notice some imperfections near the cap toe (see right side). Is this something I should be concerned about? This issue is on both shoes. Would you guys send it back or just keep it?

IMG_0792.JPG

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member