• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carhartt, Dickies - who else? Advise for trip to NYC

Loobs

Reaction score
Hi Guys, this is my first post after lurking for a while.

I dress simple - Levi 506 jeans, Vans slipons or classic era sneakers, American Apparel T-Shirts and Hoodies. I love Carhartt stuff but it's really expensive here in the UK. Later in the year I am going to NYC on holiday and would like to buy some great workwear stuff. My style is pretty hip/punky I guess - but I like to keep it simple. I'm looking for some great thick zip-up hoodies, maybe thick flannel shirts, long sleeve t-shirts. Where should I shop and which brands should I be looking for.

Cheers,

Ben

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to look for brands like Filson's, Pendleton, and White's workboots. They are what I would describe as "Americana" and definitely workwear. Have fun in NYC!

Loobs

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I know of Filson, never heard of Pendleton and White's I will definitely check it out.

Do I lose points for being a hipster wearing workwear?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I have found that Carhartt and Dickies are quite different brands here in NA than over in Europe. In Europe, there is a Carhartt fashion brand that puts out some pretty nice stuff, but here, in Canada at least, it does not exist and you are left with duck pants and square hoodies.

IDK about NY, but from what I understand you would have to find a place that ironically sells Carhartt Europe stuff if the more fashiony Carhartt instead of real, true workwear is what you like.

I could not find a streetwear section on the NA site, supporting my thoughts. Compare"

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...tegoryId=15056

and this from the Europe site:

http://www.carhartt-streetwear.com/

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know US Carhartt is significantly different than European, right?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
whoa... Its unfair how all these seemingly American Brands have UK lines that are so much better than their American counterparts

Wrangler,Wrangler Blue Bell,Carhartt,Lee, Levis Vintage Collection

thats it, I'm moving to Europe ASAP

bierz

Reaction score
I don't want to derail this thread, but can that Carhartt streetwear be found in the US at all?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
butbut.gif
not cool. just not cool. why can't we have that here?

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I've been told (By reliable sources) and it makes sense that many American brands only sell their fashion lines in Europe because they feel the American customer can't see beyond the brands heritage (Workwear, Blue Collar Manufacturing, Farming) so will not understand the higher price points of a fashion line.

I don't understand why a brand like Carhartt U.S. can't see that the younger generation with purchasing power want a fashion line available in America, especially if the European line has shown 10+ years of steady business.

As for NYC shopping walk Broadway from Union Square to Canal Street, you'll come across a bunch of stores to keep you happy.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loobs
Hi Guys, this is my first post after lurking for a while.

I dress simple - Levi 506 jeans, Vans slipons or classic era sneakers, American Apparel T-Shirts and Hoodies. I love Carhartt stuff but it's really expensive here in the UK. Later in the year I am going to NYC on holiday and would like to buy some great workwear stuff. My style is pretty hip/punky I guess - but I like to keep it simple. I'm looking for some great thick zip-up hoodies, maybe thick flannel shirts, long sleeve t-shirts. Where should I shop and which brands should I be looking for.

Cheers,

Ben

Dunderdon.

And if you feel like splurging, Engineered Garments, available at Odin / Den.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are really missing something if you think European Carhartt and Dickies are better than the orginal US version... the european lines are really bland, lacking identity, while the US versions are true to a 100 year+ legacy, and still have great products for the money. If you want thick hoodies, rugged pants and long sleeve tees, the US carhartt is superior.

EU Carhartt is made by an austrian skate wear company on licence, and mainly produce striped tees and cargo pants, while EU dickies produce watered down, "urban" versions of the classics... pure garbage.

falsestart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Garage/Surf Rock
There's a big military surplus store and also a workwear type store on 6th Avenue.

Yeah, the workwear store is Dave's- it's on the corner of 17th and 6 ave, good selections of standard carrhart and redwing stuff as well as other workwear brands-

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm running an additional 15 off promo on Carhartt. Find what you like in NY then save some money at my place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics