• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrMoonbeam

Reaction score
The JCrew and LLBean models are nearly the same, but differ in the color, toecap, leather type, and cost depending on which one you are comparing.
Otherwise they are near identical Chippewa boots. (although perhaps not completely identical ;)
JCrew:

LLBean:

zueod

Reaction score
I can't confirm, but I can relay my fitting information.

I wear a size 10 in casual shoes (Converse Chuck's; Merrell) and a size 9 1/2 D in the Alden Trubalence last. I ordered the 9 1/2 EE Katahdin (mainly because they were sold out in the D width) and they just arrived this afternoon. The fit is perfect. Any narrower and I'd be hurting. Any longer and I'd be sliding around in the boot.

For what it's worth.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone confirm that the J. Crew boot fits the same as the LL Bean one?  I want the LL Bean one and there is a J Crew close by.  If they are the same I can maybe try a J Crew on and determine my size before ordering.  My tennis shoes are all 9.5's but I wear a 9 in Danners.

Yes, they fit the same.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they fit different, though maybe not so much that you would take a different size between them. The Katahdin comes with a cushioned insole while the J Crew boot does not. J Crew boots fits longer and fuller in volume in my experience. They are on different lasts I believe as well. That being said my Katahdins were 11.5 and so are my J Crew ones.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
Just received a pair of 9D, the fit is still not quite right. The toebox is a little small in terms of volume/width and it is a tad short as well wearing medium weight athletic socks. Can barely move back and forth half a cm. A quick search for Barrie shows one guy sized up half from Barrie. Barrie 9 and CP 42 both fit me quite well.

Should I try 9EE or go up half to 9.5D?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would do 9.5D. 9EE will also be short.

Katahdins are on the Munson last. Standard army boot last. But the Barrie runs bigger. I'd start 1/2 size bigger than your Barrie size and go from there.

LL Bean is good with returns.

poena

Reaction score
I had a bit of trouble with sizing too. a 9 was too big. 8.5 too tight. 8.5EE just every slightly too wide. i ended up going with 8.5EE and using mid weight socks but still a tad wide. the 8.5 regular was too tight though.

and now the left boot is killing me. I may have to return mine.

CPaul

Reaction score
Really interested in picking these up after see all the reviews. Wish there was an LL Bean around me so I could actually try them on though (live in SD). I see most people commenting about how these are perfect for winter. Are these too warm to be worn during the summer?

Thanks.

chill1217

Reaction score
i tend to think shoes are kind of flexible in terms of what temperature you can wear them at. i have the j. crew chippewas, and they don't have any sort of extra lining, just the leather. so while you wouldn't wear them in 90+ degree weather, i don't think they would be worse than any other leather shoe

Really interested in picking these up after see all the reviews. Wish there was an LL Bean around me so I could actually try them on though (live in SD). I see most people commenting about how these are perfect for winter. Are these too warm to be worn during the summer?

Thanks.

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score

Really interested in picking these up after see all the reviews.  Wish there was an LL Bean around me so I could actually try them on though (live in SD).

They're only available at the flagship store on the Freeport campus. Even so, when I was up there last August they had none in stock.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really interested in picking these up after see all the reviews.  Wish there was an LL Bean around me so I could actually try them on though (live in SD).  I see most people commenting about how these are perfect for winter.  Are these too warm to be worn during the summer?

Thanks.

They aren't insulated...so if you wear it with a thick wool sock==winter

cotton athletic sock==summer.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear these in the warmer if I could wear them with normal weight socks. I sized a little wrong so I pretty much only wear these with wool socks. They're also a little on the heavy side so they're not my go to boot.

CPaul

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Gonna give these things a shot. They're on backorder until fed 26th so hopefully another sale coupon comes before that.

MrMoonbeam

Reaction score
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the mix here, as I received my pair last week.

To start with, I was very concerned with the fit. I measure at an 11, and have worn perfectly sized 10 Doc Martens for years.
I typically vary with other shoes from 11-12.
I was unable to try these on beforehand, as others have noted the only stores that will sometimes carry them is the flagship up in ME (though I tried at an outlet store.)
In comparison I was able to hit a nearby Nordstrom and try on the Red Wing Iron Rangers.
The size 10 seemed to small and tight in the toebox along with being too narrow.
The 10.5's fit me better, but were also a touch narrow, but felt too roomy up front.
In the end, while I could not try them on as there were none available, I thought perhaps a size 10EE might fit the bill.
After speaking with a chiropracter, he strongly suggested getting one slightly larger than slightly smaller in fit, as one could always wear thicker socks or use a larger insole.

I decided to take the plunge with the 10.5 Bean boots, and thankfully, I was able to score one before the New Year and the price jump for $134 shipped (plus tax).
It arrived a month earlier than I had originally been told (Feb 26th).
They are indeed narrow, but not as narrow as the Red Wings.
I am very pleased with the sizing, and think the 10.5s are pretty much spot on.
They are snug without being too tight, and will mold to my feet very well in the next few weeks.
I can also wiggle my toes and brush the front of the shoe as well.
My biggest complaint is the collar however.
The top of the boot is rather painful at times. It has gotten progressively better, and an application of Mink Oil has reduced this to a minimal sensation on the left though still stronger on the right.
I spent part of the weekend snow shovelling, and the flexing and bending of doing so has helped the fit even more.
By the end of the week I should be receiving a package of Obenauf's LP, which I'll be applying on top.
The mink oil darkened the color to a rich deep brown, which I prefer, and I expect the Obenaufs will keep it there, or perhaps darken it a tad more.

All in all, I am very happy with the boot. I plan on wearing this as my day to day at work, with a variety of 'country club attire' outfits.
Hopefully the collar will give more, and I will enjoy this for years to come.
I may end up getting the Rodeo Tan later on, or perhaps another similar brand in Black.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads