• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yukihiro

Reaction score
I guess I'll go with my DB size. If it's slightly big, I'll just put in a thicker insole. I doubt it'll be too small on me (even though I've seen some people say they sized up 1/2 or 1 from DB's). Thanks for the comments.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess I'll go with my DB size.  If it's slightly big, I'll just put in a thicker insole. I doubt it'll be too small on me (even though I've seen some people say they sized up 1/2 or 1 from DB's).  Thanks for the comments.

I can't comment on the LL Bean's version, but I can on the J. Crew's.

I'm usually a size 9 in sneakers and when I had Clarks DBs, I sized down 1 full size in all 4 pairs that I had. They fit marvelously. I wear a 8.5 in my Chippewas, if I were to go with a size 8, like my Clarks DBs, it would be too small for sure.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore these for the first time today since it's raining. Very comfy out the box. The picture with the grass is under pretty much direct sun. The other one had clouds over it.

NoLocus

Reaction score
Just got a pair this week, sized down a half to 10.5 and they still fitted large(my feet are exactly 11" in length). I bought these boots for winter though so with a medium and thick pair of socks they fit perfectly. Good compliment to a nicer pair of boots for winter/rough outdoor use.

singh02

Reaction score
I'm a 10.5 in clarks db/10.5 in chucks/10.5 in sperry.

I went with a 10 which fits snug, which I like. A 10.5 would have been a fine too though. I would recommend going TTS or 1/2 size down. If you have a narrow foot, then 1/2 down, if it's "normal" then go TTS.

And then buy my katahdins in size 10 on B&S.

poena

Reaction score
got my 8.5EE
does the tongue on anyone elses boot start to fold when they start lacing? trying to see if i should go standard width

also how close do the 2 sides get when you lace them up? mine get pretty close. like almost touching. maybe i just have skinny ankles

Last edited:

stmoore1

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the heel is simply glued on, not sewn. Looking at my Katahdins right now that appears to be the case, although I could be wrong.

From what I've seen, heels are usually either glued, tacked, or both. I'm guessing most glued heels, and even some tacked, would do that if you pull on them, which is why I never pull on them. Each time you do you risk dust and debris getting between the sole and the heel and over time the bond will get weaker and weaker.

Last edited:

galeron

Reaction score
Can someone comment on the difference in durability / looks between these and the Red Wing Iron Rangers?

I was looking at the Iron Rangers, but these look so similar and are so much cheaper... If they are just as durable I may as well get these instead.

How do they size? I'm a 9.5 in Clarks DBs and a 10 in Chucks...

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the Red Wings are a little bit nicer of a boot (construction, leather quality, etc.) but not so much so as to justify the large price difference. The Chippewas are nice, and very nice for their price. They also fit my feet better. I have had the Katahdins in the past and now have the J Crew plain toe ones and am very happy with them. For the $300 Red Wing seems to get for the IR I think there are better options (1000K mile or save a little more and go for Alden or Whites).

yukihiro

Reaction score
edit: Nevermind. I called LL Bean, and they're sending me a replacement pair. Here's to hoping that the new ones don't hurt my leg. Great customer service on behalf of LL Bean by the way.. As long as it's better than the first pair, I'm pretty sure it will be just fine after breaking them in. I just don't see breaking in the first pair making much of a difference.

I got my Katahdins in today and overall I like them. I'm just wondering if I should exchange them for the same size. There's one small issue that's causing them to dig into the back of my leg a little too much.

A portion of the left shoe is stitched 1/4" too far forward on my left shoe. By doing so, it's causing back of the shoe to angle in more, digging into the back of my leg a little too much causing noticeable pain right when I put them on. The right shoe is much more comfortable.

Should I exchange them or will they break in a little more? I've only worn them for a day so far.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads