1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Vintagemusician

Vintagemusician Active Member

Having owned these for ~8 months now I decided to go for a round of Obenauf's LP. If I knew it was going to be so much fun, I'd have done it sooner! These boots are seriously great. Holding up pretty well too. I'd like to get a decade out of them.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

2. wwjbd24

wwjbd24 Member

debating between these (179) (won't get them til spring anyway) and the chippewa GQ (can get for 109 with 20% off Amazon), and it basically comes down to a ~$60 price difference for getting the non-captoe vs cap toe... and I'm still torn! thoughts?

3. hardline_42

hardline_42 Member

There's more to it than cap toe vs plain toe. The Apache Lacer (GQ) has a full 360* leather welt. The Katahdin boot has a plastic and leather 270* welt. The GQ has a Vibram Stockbridge Gumlite sole, which is lighter and grippier than the cork sole, IMO. The differences aren't going to make or break you if it's just a casual wear boot, but the GQ is better built as a work or outdoor boot. The same boot comes in a steel toe, 8" height and three different lugged soles as well.

4. red81

red81 Senior member

just had a horror story with mine:

after owning them for about 3 weeks, wore them out last night (first significant snow)....

...came home after work today, both heels came undone (from the inner part of the heel closer to the toe) and started splitting towards the back end.

went to llbean, they were all shocked, took them back right away, and are shipping me a new pair, but looks like i'll be without them for a week or so.

put on my keen's to go to the store, almost cried. the guy in the shoe dept didn't know what to say, he seemed surprised too.

anyways, the first 3 days, i felt like some runway chick in them because i wasn't used to that heel style, but after about a week or so, they were the best feeling/looking shoes i had up until this point.

hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

How long did it take you guys to break in? And how long did you wear it on a days average? Are you guys wearing thick socks as well? Or just regular white socks...

6. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

^ Get yourself a pair of Smartwool light hikers. I remember it taking almost a week before they molded to my foot / ankle

7. Vintagemusician

Vintagemusician Active Member

Don't even try to tie them all the way to the top when they're fresh. And wear thick-ish wool socks. I still wear them tied just above the first set of hooks with the laces wrapped around the back.

8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

^^ Thanks. I'm going to purchase some wool socks.. I think that could be t he issue. I find my toes hurt after a full days of wear, but it's not small for me? ...

9. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

+1. I had them laced up to the top when I first wore them and my achilles were killing me for a few days after.

10. hardline_42

hardline_42 Member

If you want them broken in within a day, soak them in warm water for about ten minutes, put on two pairs of socks (sock liner and wool hiking sock work for me) and wear them laced all the way up and tight until they're dry. The two pairs of socks will prevent blisters and the soaking will replicate a months worth of wearing, sweating and drying.

11. MrMoonbeam

MrMoonbeam Member

That will do the trick, but you MUST apply leather conditioner afterwards.
    Mink Oil, Obeneufs, SnoSeal... pick your poison.

12. bassmanpatsfan18

bassmanpatsfan18 Senior member

For those of you who've owned these for a long time: I've had mine for 3 years and I wear them on an almost everyday basis. I've just started to notice that the heels are wearing out. The nails aren't visible there, but I imagine that they will be soon.

So, what have you guys done to replace the soles on these? Take them to a cobbler or send them back to Chippewa for a resole?

13. K2793

K2793 Senior member

What's the best place to get these at the moment? Still LL Bean for $189? Need a good boot for the cold Midwest winter and decided on these. I'm an 8 in Clarks Desert Boots what size should I look for in Katahdins? Do these look good with cuffed raw denim?

14. red81

red81 Senior member

Update: just received the replacement pair. Same issue. If I grab the heel by the inner edge (facing the toes), I can pull off about 25% of the heel completely away from the rest of the shoe. I will take them back to the store today and if they don't have a non defective pair in stock, I will return them and get iron rangers. I've seen better quality on $60 timberlands.

15. chuckb

chuckb Senior member

I'm having a similar problem with my pair (which I received about a month ago) - there's sort of a popping sound when I step coming from the right foot, and it seems like the front part of the heel is coming unglued from the rest of the sole. I contacted LLBean customer service, and they said they don't have my size in stock for a replacement, but that they'd reimburse me for getting the heel fixed at a local cobbler. I was actually really impressed with their customer service - they responded to my email within a half hour, and said that for a reimbursement under $20 all I have to do is call them up (need to send in a receipt for reimbursement >$20).

16. red81

red81 Senior member

That's nice of them, but this drama's going on for about a month now. I bought work boots, not a tuner project. I didn't expect to put additional money and time and effort into something vibram or chippewa oe llbean should've caught, twice just to make them into what I thought I ordered.

17. chuckb

chuckb Senior member

Makes sense to me, and I agree that this is something that shouldn't be happening at all. I wonder if this is a common problem on their recently produced boots.

18. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

J.Crew boots, amazing eBay score. Quite nice. I did a 180 on these, as I first didn't like the pics of the short toe cap. I was totally wrong.

19. red81

red81 Senior member

well, i gave them a shot. they were very courteous at the store and returned them no questions asked (the 2nd pair wasn't even out of the nylon bags they come in yet).

oh well, i have red wings en route. maybe i'll try them again later on in life.

20. Pilcrow

Pilcrow Active Member

Where can I actually purchase these? The L.L. Bean online store does not have them in stock (for any size within a size and a half of my own) until March, and according to the online locator no stores have them in-stock anywhere in the state.