• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cable Car Clothiers.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I realize that Cable Car Clothiers has a somewhat negative reputation on these forums--not quite up to Jay Kos perhaps--but several people have made comments regarding the crusty service.

However, I went in today to buy a Kent comb and the service was very amiable. An octogenarian salesperson in a spring weight three-piece and highly polished brogues helped me, and was quite nice. In fact, the service was much more pleasant than say, Neiman Marcus; we had a small chat about Trumper's in London and I told him about G.Lorenzi in Milan.

Perhaps the other people who had negative sentiments wore something like casual when going in. Indeed, I remarked to the sales people how can you expect people to shave properly when they can't even dress respectfully?

dressed2kill

Reaction score
I've always loved Cable Car Clothiers, over priced yes, very traditional yes, but my experience with them has always been positive. It is a place taken right out of a history text book, next time I go to the City "San Francisco"I will visit. Thank you buy the way for posting your positive experience with CCC.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Perhaps the other people who had negative sentiments wore something like casual when going in. Indeed, I remarked to the sales people how can you expect people to shave properly when they can't even dress respectfully?

Recently my salesman, who I have worked with for years, told me his best customers usually come in wearing very casual t-shirts and jeans. He said they are secure and have nothing to prove, and rather than shop they come in to buy. This made a lot of sense to me, prolly why I remembered it. Wish all salespeople had this kind of attitude, it's getting harder and harder to find good service anymore.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Recently my salesman, who I have worked with for years, told me his best customers usually come in wearing very casual t-shirts and jeans. He said they are secure and have nothing to prove, and rather than shop they come in to buy. This made a lot of sense to me, prolly why I remembered it. Wish all salespeople had this kind of attitude, it's getting harder and harder to find good service anymore.
You must understand that LabelLynde views himself as some sort of old-world noble who is continuously shocked at the vile progressions of the modern world. Think Petrovich in Fathers & Sons.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
You must understand that LabelLynde views himself as some sort of old-world noble who is continuously shocked at the vile progressions of the modern world. Think Petrovich in Fathers & Sons.
Stop dropping your Russian Lit. names.
Originally Posted by LSeca
Either way, I suspect for a store such as Cable Car Clothiers, looking presentable is something they don't regard as an option despite any personal income levels. The Andover Shop is another store that is noted for their crusty service. That is the charm of those traditional stores.

dressed2kill

Reaction score
The Andover Shop is another store that is noted for their crusty service. That is the charm of those traditional stores.
I completley agree, that is the charm of those types of stores.

You can love the past and take its best elements and aply them in modern times without living in the past.

Either way, I suspect for a store such as Cable Car Clothiers, looking presentable is something they don't regard as an option despite any personal income levels.
With Cable Car Clothiers that is absolutley true.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
CCC is a real world experience.

It has changed little over the years, there is no need.

They have always sought out the best and resisted the changes that many, myself included, find somewhat repugnant about modernity.

The owner, Mr. Pivnik, ( I think he is still among the living ), is the high priest of trad. A very interesting man.

( Years ago, I was having a conversation with him on the street.
He was dressed in his usual style and carrying a briefcase.
His wife hit the horn on the old Jag, about two blocks up the street.
He excused himself and ran off at full speed while holding his hat.
I was amazed. He was in his 70's then. He was still running the marathon in those years. )

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sexual tension, Connie?

pejsek

Reaction score
Thanks for the great story, caelte. Pivnik, I believe, is a Czech name which hints at Mr. Beer. What's not to like about that? I've long had a soft spot for the anglophilic offerings of CCC/Robt Kirk. Every once in a great while I find lost treasures from the Golden Age at the thrift store, among the best a wool tartan robe and an angora driving cap.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
connie-fused?

crackup[1].gif
no comment necessary

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

are you, Arkady?

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I enjoy looking at Cable Car Clothiers and they have some great stuff, but when you say they are "overpriced" it isn't in a subjective sense, they are REALLY overpriced.

For instance, they are trying to sell their Trumpers Shave cream there for $60.00. I have never, at any webstore or physical storefront (and mind you, you can buy Trumpers at Gump's a few blocks away for the real price) seen Trumper tubs being sold for more than $25. It simply boggles the mind. I don't mind paying a premium for quality, hard-to-find goods, but when half the stuff in there can either be found online, or elsewhere in the city for half the price, you can't help but scoff.

A few months ago, I found a lovely tweed cap there that I liked, which they were selling for $220. I bought the EXACT same one at 'The Huntsman' a few blocks away for $70. This place is a joke...........sure, some of the old folks working there are charming and kind, but the prices are absurd.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed, the things are very overpriced especially some of the grooming items. They had various Lime scents for $96.

However, the Kent combs were priced somewhat accordingly since I tried looking online and the prices were about the same.

What's rather surprising is that the store has only been at their present location for 5 years and already it looks about 60 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads