1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cable Car Clothiers – Traditional Haberdashery

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Feb 22, 2013.

1. comrade

comrade Senior member

Maybe they'll find their way to Wing Tip.

2. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

Gus, thanks for some great pics. CCC could be an impressive venue for an SF meetup.

On a side note, if CCC could expand their product lines to include some Italian cuts, in addition to their full, structured English cuts, it would attract even more audience.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks otheme. It was fun to visit CCC and catch up on the store and their new direction.

CCC has based most of their jackets on a soft shoulder, 3 button, Southwick design where the pattern has been specific to CCC for 70 years. Jonathan did say they will do a MTM and adjust it as the client wishes. But, my guess is that if you want a classic, trad suit or jacket, go to CCC and talk to them about tweaking measurements and fit from a trad/IVY perspective. But if you are looking for a true Italian or more modern cut, perhaps you should try elsewhere. Do you go into a French restaurant to order pizza? :)

Yes, it would be a fun place for a Bay Area SF meet up and Jonathan would be an enjoyable host.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Although I haven't been to the new location I think my feeling about CCC still stands - love the styles, hate the prices. And I just realized, I'm wearing a tie from them today.

5. GusW

A straw boater and Southwick navy blazer on Jason of Brokeandbespoke:

[​IMG]

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

I saw no English cuts when I visited the shop and tried on several jackets, except for the shooting jacket which certainly has an English image, but still has a trad-Ivy cut. Unless the darts make it "structured English"

7. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Pardon the ignorance but what is a trad-ivy-cut? -- a straight cut as opposed to a cut where the waist is a little more defined?

8. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

usually, ivy cut will have a narrow and pad-less (or very little padding) shoulder. Sometimes without front dart. The coat general fit like a a layer rather than something structured. Ivy blazer are very innovative with their colours

9. comrade

comrade Senior member

10. GusW

Wool Cableknit Cricket sweaters , made in the UK, in both long sleeve and vest versions.

[​IMG]

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Those hats look awful. I was going to take a pic of their front window display and post it here just to yank your chain, but now I don't need to.

It looks like they're trying to channel Al's, but more garish.

12. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

What's with the hate? You've been bitching since page 1. If you've got a real issue, out with it or move on.

CCC should be noted for having much of the Trumpers line. If you haven't used Trumpers (or other comparable) shampoo, you're missing out.

1 person likes this.
  13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

My real issue is that Cable Car Clothiers appears to have repackaged their product in a manner which has little to do with style and more to do with caricature. Am I not allowed to say this?

14. countdemoney

I think the objection would be that this is something like the 5th time you've said it in this thread. Hayward doesn't like CCC, we get it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    2 people like this.
  15. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

So?

And when OP (inadvertently) posts pics of ridiculously hued headwear, no one can comment?

The overall look they're selling now seems to be Boardwalk Empire, or perhaps Burger King Goes Golfing. It's starting to cross the line from Classic Menswear (of which they used to be at least a kind of exemplar) to Streetwear/subculture. And Al's is already there and does it better (at least when you can get Al to focus).

16. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

Looks like professorial clothes tend to instigate professor-like arguments.

17. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

18. countdemoney

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Whereupon we are reduced to playing Pictionary. You really like the orange trilby?

20. comrade

comrade Senior member

I heard a bit of local gossip about Cable Car Clothiers about 7or 8 years ago at another
    (non competing) high-end mens shop from one of its employees. The gist of it was that for
    Charles Pivnick , the owner, the store had become a "hobby" which didn't have make
    a profit because Picvnick had made a fortune in San Francisco real estate over the years.
    I had mentioned this previously on SF. I have no idea whether it is true. What was true
    and may still be is that I rarely saw many customers in the store when nearby mens
    shops were busy.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013