• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cabernets

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, so far, I have the following cabs:

Cakebread Napa Valley (various vintages)
Cakebread Vine Hill Ranch (various vintages)
Cakebread Benchland Select (various vintages)
Cakebread Three Sisters (various vintages)
Caymus Special Selection (various vintages)
ZD Wines Reserve CS (various vintages)

I was thinking about picking up the Simi Landslide CS, any thoughts about that one?

Any other recs for decent cabs in the $50-100 bottle range? I'm going to put away a couple more recent vintage cases.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simi makes a nice reserve cab.  But, so much depends on the vintage.  If you're talking after 1999, then avoid the 2000; but 2001 or 2002 should both be good.  Their 1995 was amazing juice.  I didn't know Simi made a Landslide bottling.  

Seek out:

Pride Mountain Vineyards
Paloma
Duckhorn
Shafer

By the way, try to find the 2000 Chateau Barde-Haut.  It's a beauty; reminds me of a Pride wine.  Tons of fruit and a decent dash of oak.

I see you're a big fan of Cakebread -- I've enjoyed the wines I've had of theirs, but I think they're overpriced for what you get.  I guess in part they price as if they're a cult wine, but they're not.  Just a down-home family operation.  That bugs me a bit.  ZD has always hit me as being overly oaky but that is a personal issue -- some like oak, some don't.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up the Simi Landslide, and may pick up some 2002 Pride as well, any info on the quality of the 2002 vintage? How long do you think it should be cellared before drinking?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plump Jack Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 $59
Ridge Santa Cruz Chardonnay 2001 $19.99
Joseph Phelps Insignia Napa Valley 2001 $13
Whitehall Lane Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 - $29
Warwick Professor Black Sauvignon Blanc South Africa 2004 $15
Beaulieu Vineyards Tapestry Reserve Napa Valley 2001 $36
Nickel & Nickel Sullenger Napa Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 $79

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the next case of wine I will acquire is the Neal Family 2002 Cabernet.

My latest case purchases:

Simi Landslide CS
1999 Rieussec
2001 Rieussec

Any other opinions of a nice cab to put away for 10-20 years?

mano

Reaction score
If you're able to find any cab made by Bob Egelhoff, you'd be well advised to try it.  He makes wine under his own name, and wine for Partridge, Axios, Amizetta, Worthy and David Arthur.  These wines generally are in the $75 -$100 range.

I've tried the Axios, Amizetta and his own wines and they are all terrific, particularly the Egelhoff and Axios.

I've also been able to compare his wines to 2001 Phelps Insignia and 1994 and 2001 Opus One, all of which are very fine meritage wines that anyone would be delighted to drink. IMHO Egelhoff's wines, which tend to be 100% cab blended from different vineyards are every bit as good. His wines have "soul" and are good values, even considering their cost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads