• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently got around to listing a bunch of stuff that I haven't used or worn. Surprisingly all sold quickly and for my asking prices. That led me to list more items that have been sitting around. Having sold ~15 items over the last month or so I only receive feedback ~20% of the time.

Is it appropriate or even worth it to contact the buyers after a few weeks and ask them to leave feedback? Do you guys leave feedback for buyers upon payment or wait for them to leave feedback?

I'm not sure how much it really matters. When I buy from someone, if I see 100% I feel fine. I rarely dig any deeper to see if their feedback is from buying or selling but I'm lazy and have had good luck so far.

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
Hmmmm . .. some interesting points above. LOL yep, I remember taking eBay pix on film and trotting into Costco to get them put on CD. Hard to imagine these days.

I tried DSLR for a while but hated the heaviness and the mirror delays. Plus, I never use the viewfinder, preferring to compose "at arms length" with the preview screen, so having a good one of those is a critical feature for me. Makes a big difference for old farts like me. I like the lightest possible camera, and initially favored various models of the Panasonic Lumix that had the great Leica lenses. But after many years, I switched to a Canon P&S that I have used some version of ever since. I change it every couple years and sell the "old" one on eBay. I think my current one is an S120, so I guess it's been a while since I've upgraded, but I do like that I can make every setting manually and then adjust the exposure on the fly, thereby reducing PP time. I have several batteries that I keep in a kinda production line: one in the camera, one charging and two charged and standing by. They last a couple hours each.

For lighting, the LED shop lights at Harbor Freight are fantastic: lightweight, and $17.99 apiece last time I was there. I have the WB on the camera set to match the lights. One above the mannequin, two in front, and another above the table. Also, they run cool compared to anything else, which is a plus in AZ.

My own processing method is: upload to MBP (they go into Apple Photos), do PP in Photos then export to folders comprising the item # + abbreviated name. I dump each folder into a "posted" folder once each item is listed. All items are pre-packed after measuring, and stored in my shed in numerical order. Works fine, unless I flub the numbers – which has been known (usually by using "sell similar item" and forgetting to change the # in the listing). I include an abbreviated version of the item # in each listing title so I can go straight to the item package.

Feedback? I go through about once a month and leave buyer FB only for buyers who've provided seller FB. The rest I ignore. I loathe getting FB requests from sellers. Smacks of desperation. If I get an FB request from a buyer who hasn't left seller FB, I put "Buyer paid", which is really all a buyer feedback is worth. Well, maybe "buyer paid, and was not a douche" would be more accurate, but I doubt that would go well.

haloitsme

Reaction score
Elephant you get a strike? lol. anteater I dont know.
The issue is only see is the turtle, the rest should be fine.

I also sold crocodile, phyton, elephant, etc. However, I had CITES documention for the articels, but never mentioned it on eBay and I was free to sell.

check here which appendix you may fall:

I dont know US rules, but here in EU; there are some animals you can only importart with documents. But, when they are in EU you don't need them anymore (the documents). There is an exception, e.g., for Siamensis crocodile, you still need paper.
I guess, for US, there are also some animals free to sell, and some not (Iam sure turtle is not allowed).
As long it is not Appendix I, you should be free to sell. The issue is, when you don't know, where the item is comming from, but just to get an overview.

Ps. I can not gurantee if mentioed facts are 100% right for US.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One for your blocklists below. Bought a Burberry tie, messaged me saying he had a $50 prepaid card (?) and after tax it came to over $50. He asked if I could put up a second listing and he could pay the difference on that. I simply adjusted the invoice and lowered the price for him (and can see the price after tax) and he’s still saying it’s over $50. Now he’s making offers on my other ties saying he will pay on this transaction but to send him the Burberry. Seems pretty obvious that he’s trying to scam me.
72E7F3DF-BA24-41EB-A61F-AF4835979F00.jpeg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold a Dehen Shawl Cardigan last week. Buyer waited 5 days to pay them said “sorry was in a car accident”.

No big deal. Ship it out the day he pays and the day he receives it (yesterday) he claims “not as described, not in excellent used condition, garment was altered”.

I accepted the return. Is that the best course in this situation? Everything I’ve read tells me it’s not worth fighting.

It was bound to happen but sucks I get hit with the return shipping.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One for your blocklists below. Bought a Burberry tie, messaged me saying he had a $50 prepaid card (?) and after tax it came to over $50. He asked if I could put up a second listing and he could pay the difference on that. I simply adjusted the invoice and lowered the price for him (and can see the price after tax) and he’s still saying it’s over $50. Now he’s making offers on my other ties saying he will pay on this transaction but to send him the Burberry. Seems pretty obvious that he’s trying to scam me.
View attachment 1694439

apparently this guy has a second account (another ?) and has been hounding me to unlock him.
3F6663E6-E46C-4010-A31A-28325948B499.jpeg

div25sec9

Reaction score
Add this guy to your lists:

mannyb333

Received a coat, then asks for a 50% refund because he claims its NAD. I asked him to open an ebay case so we can do the return process, but he instead opens a NAD with his credit card in order to get the money and keep the jacket. It eventually was decided in my favor, but save a bunch of hassle and just block him.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My biggest ever sale (~$1000) and without thinking I sent it via USPS with ShipCover insurance. I dropped off 3 items at the post office but for some reason tracking shows this item has been sitting there for a couple of days while the other two items have left the facility and show normal progress.

Am I being unnecessarily suspicious? Has anyone dealt with shipcover?

haloitsme

Reaction score
Add this guy to your lists:

mannyb333

Received a coat, then asks for a 50% refund because he claims its NAD. I asked him to open an ebay case so we can do the return process, but he instead opens a NAD with his credit card in order to get the money and keep the jacket. It eventually was decided in my favor, but save a bunch of hassle and just block him.
I sometimes loose faith in humanity ...
I also got those request from time to time. Then I always ask myself, we am I doing this ??

div25sec9

Reaction score
Woah. How did that happen?

It was under a seller protection they said. Since it was an ebay vs credit card company, there was an incentive for them to win. I thought I was screwed, because there was no real way to "prove" that they had received the item in the listing. I did not get to see any of the communication as it was outside of ebay, so I can't provide any details on the process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads