• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you ship things like that when you don't want people to know where you live? Work address? Pobox?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, it happened. First case opened.

This is the item in question: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201019184837?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

This is what the guy wrote:

""The suit jacket arrived today, but I'm afraid that it is not a sport coat blazer as it is advertised. It is, instead, the jacket from a suit. (The tipoff is that the tag inside the jacket pocket lists the size as "44-38" -- meaning that the jacket size is 44 and the suit pants, not included, are 38 waist.) I'm sorry, but this was not the item advertised, and I do not want it."

My pictures show buttons and everything. How should I respond? Isn't the term sportcoat loosely interchageable with jacket and blazer interchangeable (though blazers traditionally have metallic buttons). Sounds like buyers remorse to me.

I never mentioned a suit or pants. He got exactly what was in the pictures and he hasn't, in my opinion, said anything that would lead me to believe that the item wasn't as advertised.

Last edited:

COtoKS

Reaction score

This is the item in question: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201019184837?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

""The suit jacket arrived today, but I'm afraid that it is not a sport coat blazer as it is advertised. It is, instead, the jacket from a suit. (The tipoff is that the tag inside the jacket pocket lists the size as "44-38" -- meaning that the jacket size is 44 and the suit pants, not included, are 38 waist.) I'm sorry, but this was not the item advertised, and I do not want it"

My pictures show buttons and everything. How should I respond? Isn't the term sportcoat loosely interchageable with jacket and blazer interchangeable (though blazers traditionally have metallic buttons). Sounds like buyers remorse to me.

I never mentioned a suit or pants. He got exactly what was in the pictures and he hasn't, in my opinion, said anything that would lead me to believe that the item wasn't as advertised.

Not sure if I'd consider it "significantly" not as described, but you did list an orphan suit jacket as a sport coat/blazer (if what he's claiming is correct). You also didn't take a full picture of the tag inside the jacket pocket, which could be seen as deceptive. I'd probably take the return and relist it in the suit category and mention in the description that it's an orphan but can be worn as a blazer.

Last edited:

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I'd consider it "significantly" not as described, but you did list an orphan suit jacket as a sport coat/blazer (if what he's claiming is correct). You also didn't take a full picture of the tag inside the jacket pocket, which could be seen as deceptive. I'd probably take the return and relist it in the suit category and mention in the description that it's an orphan but can be worn as a blazer.

Agree with this. And, please edit the buyer's real name out.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree with this. And, please edit the buyer's real name out.
So no point fighting this at all? I guess from next time I need to start listing these as coats instead of sport coats to get around that. So "Coat, Jacket" instead of "sportcoat, jacket".

I did that because it's a navy jacket. Though seriously, he bought it with pictures that showed buttons, color, etc. How does the tag change everything? I sold him exactly what was advertised. A suit jacket without the pants is a jacket/sport coat. I thought that was fine, especially for navy.

Took out the name.

@COtoKS , can you edit my post that you quoted and do the same place? I missed it.

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

""The suit jacket arrived today, but I'm afraid that it is not a sport coat blazer as it is advertised. It is, instead, the jacket from a suit. (The tipoff is that the tag inside the jacket pocket lists the size as "44-38" -- meaning that the jacket size is 44 and the suit pants, not included, are 38 waist.) I'm sorry, but this was not the item advertised, and I do not want it."

You have to list orphans as "suit coats" or "suit
Jackets" and be explicit that the pants are not included. Otherwise you are definitely misrepresenting the item which is dangerous for you. Blazers and sport coats aren't interchangeable terms for suit jackets. Solid colored suit jackets will, however, sell. I'd take the return and relist with the more accurate terms.

Last edited:

Reigningchamp

Reaction score
It's up to you, but keep in mind that Ebay WAS NOT involved and he knows where you live.

Wasn't even thinking about that when I shipped. I am not worried about him coming to see me. I stay strapped.
How do you ship things like that when you don't want people to know where you live? Work address? Pobox?

You can put a ghost address, but if it gets lost...Well its gone.
You have to list orphans as "suit coats" or "suit
Jackets" and be explicit that the pants are not included. Otherwise you are definitely misrepresenting the item which is dangerous for you. Blazers and sport coats aren't interchangeable terms for suit jackets. Solid colored suit jackets will, however, sell. I'd take the return and relist with the more accurate terms.

100% agree. Most can tell an orphaned suit jacket and would prefer not to wear it solo. You have to be honest with these buyers or you wont be selling for long.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But if it didn't matter to him from the pictures, then why now?

I guess that's not the point. I offered a partial refund. If he says no. I'll ask him to ship it back and that I'll refund what he paid.

Last edited:

joshmick

Reaction score
But if it didn't matter to him from the pictures, then why now?

I guess that's not the point. I offered a partial refund. If he says no. I'll ask him to ship it back and that I'll refund what he paid.

It could be that he got the jacket and doesn't like the way it fits, or looks in person, etc. etc. The fact of the matter is that you gave him an "out" by listing it as a blazer. I agree, it's BS, but that's eBay

Now excuse me while I go edit one of my own "blazer" listings, haha

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

People get wrapped up in the difference between an orphan and a blazer as if it is a significant difference.

Are the buttons different? Almost always.
Is the fabric different? Sometimes, but not always.
Is the construction different? No. Any feature of a blazer can also be on a suit coat.

So if you have to look at a label to decide whether it is an orphan, it doesn't matter. If the buttons are pictured in the auction, what does it matter what the label says? I'm not saying don't take the return, I would. But the buyer is in that range of having a little bit of knowledge, which is a pain ********** for a seller. What if you had cut out that label which included the trouser size? You would probably have a happy customer. The problem is mental. The jacket did not change. His perception of the jacket was changed by the label.

It is the same with the distinction between a odd jacket and a sport coat. I have seen Brooks Brothers build sheets on sport coats that 100% of SF members would guess to be an orphaned suit coat. Yet someone had it custom made as a sport coat. So what is it, an orphan? Nope, but it looks like one to most. What does it matter? If it is a fabric which you are comfortable wearing as a sport coat then wear it as a sport coat. If not then it is simple, don't buy it.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People get wrapped up in the difference between an orphan and a blazer as if it is a significant difference.

Is the construction different? No. Any feature of a blazer can also be on a suit coat.
So if you have to look at a label to decide whether it is an orphan, it doesn't matter. If the buttons are pictured in the auction, what does it matter what the label says? I'm not saying don't take the return, I would. But the buyer is in that range of having a little bit of knowledge, which is a pain ********** for a seller.

It is the same with the distinction between a odd jacket and a sport coat. I have seen Brooks Brothers build sheets on sport coats that 100% of SF members would guess to be an orphaned suit coat. Yet someone had it custom made as a sport coat. So what is it, an orphan? Nope, but it looks like one to most. What does it matter? If it is a fabric which you are comfortable wearing as a sport coat then wear it as a sport coat. If not then it is simple, don't buy it.

Yeah, that's my point. I thought it was 'safe' to do because it's navy. I took pictures of all the buttons etc. I bet he's doing this for fit reasons.

This was my response:
Dear Returner-dude,
Jackets are often worn without pants as sport coats. I think this is an argument of semantics, but I want you to be happy with the purchase. I'd be willing to give you a partial refund of the price paid if that makes you happy. Thanks, Mr-Rish.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that's my point. I thought it was 'safe' to do because it's navy. I took pictures of all the buttons etc. I bet he's doing this for fit reasons.

This was my response:
Dear Returner-dude,
Jackets are often worn without pants as sport coats. I think this is an argument of semantics, but I want you to be happy with the purchase. I'd be willing to give you a partial refund of the price paid if that makes you happy. Thanks, Mr-Rish.

I would also offer him a full refund if he wants to return it. I once had a trainer ask me if I would rather be right or be rich. This is one of those cases. The small amount of money involved here (the shipping fees) is not worth taking a negative feedback.

In other words, I would argue the orphan/blazer or odd jacket/sport coat case all day in theory with an SF member. If he is a buyer I take the return. I would rather be rich than right.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would also offer him a full refund if he wants to return it. I once had a trainer ask me if I would rather be right or be rich. This is one of those cases. The small amount of money involved here (the shipping fees) is not worth taking a negative feedback.

Yeah, if he says no, then I'll offer a full refund.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: For what its worth any jacket I have that is not with pants (even pinstripe jackets) I list "Sport Coat Blazer Jacket" and have never had a buyer try to return it. I take pictures of the tags though which is a MUST anyway and one of the most basic pictures you need.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So if you have to look at a label to decide whether it is an orphan, it doesn't matter. If the buttons are pictured in the auction, what does it matter what the label says? I'm not saying don't take the return, I would. But the buyer is in that range of having a little bit of knowledge, which is a pain ********** for a seller. What if you had cut out that label which included the trouser size? You would probably have a happy customer. The problem is mental. The jacket did not change. His perception of the jacket was changed by the label.

I beg to differ, but only a little bit...construction can be a sticking point, especially when it comes to lapel width, vent(s) [or lack thereof], and gorge...in my limited experience. With the tagging though most folks consider it an orphan, though like you I have had sport coats that were tagged with a drop that were definitely SC's and not orphans (yep - mostly on BB coats). It can be a significant difference - in this case not as much, but in some cases, definitely.

As far as buyers having some knowledge, I welcome it - it's not a pain and I'd hope they read my listings - wordy as they can be sometimes - and know that I want them to be happy with their purchase.

Peace (of mind) sells - and folks are buying.

0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads