• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
fing02[1].gif

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm working my way through this thread and have not seen this discussed yet (although I'm sure it has).

I can get specific dates and quotes if anyone thinks that would help to understand more.
I sold a NWT BBGF suit about a month and a half ago, 3 weeks later he says "doesn't fit returning"
Keep in mind, that I provided measurements in the listing.

So I told him my policy. must be returned within 14 days, but I would make an exception in this case. 15% restocking fee, no refund on shipping costs, and I would also not pay for return shipping. I asked him if the measurements were off since that is the best precaution to ensure good fit. I also told him he needs to get a tracking number and send it to me once he ships the suit, and I gave him my return address.

No response from him.

2 additional weeks later (5 weeks after the sale), I receive another message from him saying he has returned the package and is expecting his refund. So I told him that I have not received it or any package from him. Also that he needs to supply a tracking number for it to be a valid return.

No response until another week later (this morning) when he says says that he's still waiting for his refund. He says he shipped it back in the same box with the same shipping label. The tracking number was the tracking number that I gave to him when I shipped it.

I have been extremely kind and polite when responding to him (like overboard, kill them with kindness style), but I'm pretty sure he's trying to scam me into a refund.

My questions about this are:
1. Can you use the same shipping label/tracking number to return something? (I didn't purchase the additional return shipping form thing that USPS supplies for an extra $4 or something)
2. If this guy were to leave me negative feedback, could I get it removed by eBay? I don't want to lose my Top rated seller status or the fee discount that comes with it.

Update: I received notice from USPS that the buyer just shipped in back in the same box with the same label. USPS dropped off a slip for me "Amount Due: $16.29".

IF the suit is still in the original condition I sent it, would it be reasonable for me to subtract that $16.29 (buyers return shipping costs that he made my responsibility) + 15% restocking fee charge and not refund the original shipping? All of these conditions are stated in my policies, "enforced" by eBay. and if he were to leave a negative feedback because of these charges to his refund, could I get it removed?

(buyer pays return shipping if reason isn't because of seller's mistake)

This guy is really bothering me...

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a tough situation to be in. I've found myself there more times than I'd like. I would first suggest you get on the phone with eBay, and let them know everything that has happened. You need let them know that the return is outside of your window, although they will force you to return it either way. So, since the buyer said it doesn't fit, let the rep know, this return is based on the buyers wrong size, or buyers remorse (let them know, "not my fault, everything was described accurately". From there, let the eBay rep know (assuming return condition is fine), I will return the item, but will be subtracting the shipping costs, and enforcing my restocking fee of 15% (hopefully its a lot, since this buyer has put you through this, and has tied up your funds for over a month). Ask them to guide you through the best way to go about this (and notate everything). Whether thats through the hassle free returns, and then manually refunding the buyer via Paypal (minus shipping & restock). Or whether thats opening a case for a return, having the buyer agree to cancel the transaction (to get your fees back, and not get dinged with a defect), and then manually refunding through Paypal, of course minus the shipping & restock fee.

Either way, your best bet to go about this will be on the phone with eBay. They need to know what is going on, and it may take a few calls, to follow up, and ensure all went well. Especially because this was NWT, and did not fit. No fault should be put on you. Buyer does not know his size. Also, ask them how to avoid the neg feedback that may follow. You certainly don't want to get a random neg out of this.

Hope this helps, let us know what happens or if you need anymore help after you've spoken with eBay.

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a tough situation to be in. I've found myself there more times than I'd like. I would first suggest you get on the phone with eBay, and let them know everything that has happened. You need let them know that the return is outside of your window, although they will force you to return it either way. So, since the buyer said it doesn't fit, let the rep know, this return is based on the buyers wrong size, or buyers remorse (let them know, "not my fault, everything was described accurately". From there, let the eBay rep know (assuming return condition is fine), I will return the item, but will be subtracting the shipping costs, and enforcing my restocking fee of 15% (hopefully its a lot, since this buyer has put you through this, and has tied up your funds for over a month). Ask them to guide you through the best way to go about this (and notate everything). Whether thats through the hassle free returns, and then manually refunding the buyer via Paypal (minus shipping & restock). Or whether thats opening a case for a return, having the buyer agree to cancel the transaction (to get your fees back, and not get dinged with a defect), and then manually refunding through Paypal, of course minus the shipping & restock fee.

Either way, your best bet to go about this will be on the phone with eBay. They need to know what is going on, and it may take a few calls, to follow up, and ensure all went well. Especially because this was NWT, and did not fit. No fault should be put on you. Buyer does not know his size. Also, ask them how to avoid the neg feedback that may follow. You certainly don't want to get a random neg out of this.

Hope this helps, let us know what happens or if you need anymore help after you've spoken with eBay.
I will be on the phone tomorrow. Thank you very much (for this and my email earlier
biggrin.gif
).

I've been running around with my head cut off today stressed from school, and this is just adding to it. So that was a pleasant surprise!

I'll keep you guys updated, any suggestions on who I talk with first at eBay? Or just a general support person.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be on the phone tomorrow. Thank you very much (for this and my email earlier
biggrin.gif
).

I've been running around with my head cut off today stressed from school, and this is just adding to it. So that was a pleasant surprise!

I'll keep you guys updated, any suggestions on who I talk with first at eBay? Or just a general support person.
fistbump.gif

--
Its no fun having to go through the motions and phone calls, thats for sure. Unfortunately, its the only option we have, to ensure we get the proper outcome and recourse for certain buyers.
I've been know to lose sleep over a few cases, even when knowing I had no fault at all, you always have doubt. eBay has made sure, that we always have a cloud of doubt above us, because they are "consistently inconsistent" -quote by @capnwes
lol8[1].gif

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick pre-listing question - who makes Brooks Brothers Peal Opera Pumps? Picked these up for $20 the other day. Followup question - what size are they? I rarely handle shoes made in England.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
God I can't wait to escalate this case. The guy keeps insisting the item is NEW. In all capitals. NEW. NEW NEW NEW. I'm not even going to respond to this one. Hopefully I can escalate tomorrow.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Whats the proper way to describe the D logo embedded into the tie? Might be hard to see in pictures, and is really only present when a gleam of light shines on it.
Dior Homme Solid Smoke Grey Diorissimo Jacquard Tonal Logo Silk Skinny Tie (57 x 2.5"?)

Melbush

Reaction score
^ What he said.....Refund the buyer and have him change the address and resend payment otherwise the order is cancelled. I had a similar situation last month when a buyer asked me to ship to his work. 5 days later he opened a case of item not received. The only thing that saved me was me shipping to a confirmed paypal address and having proof of delivery.

You can set up your paypal account to only accept confirmed address payments.
I just sent a full refund and we agreed he would rebuy it with the correct address. Do I still have to cancel the transaction since I sent him a refund? (don't wanna pay ebay fees 2X)

Kazoo

Reaction score
Two nonpayers in two weeks. WTF. Do you all leave negative feedback after the case is closed? Buyer can't leave feedback at that point. Really aggrevating.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two nonpayers in two weeks. WTF. Do you all leave negative feedback after the case is closed? Buyer can't leave feedback at that point. Really aggrevating.
You can't leave neg feedback for a buyer.

2 ain't bad, I get 3 or 4 a week.

Strike, block, re-list, sell for more..... move on.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads