• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a used watch

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a used watch from a high-end manufacturer, like Patek Philppe, Audemars Piguet, or Vacheron Constantin.

I am looking in the < 5k price range. I would like something mechanical with a leather strap and a relatively simple design. It looks like, in this price range, that I am looking at a manual wind as opposed to automatic.

Is this a bad idea? Is there anything I should look out for, or any other manufacturers I should consider?

Thanks

ETA: I am seeing a lot of these watches on ebay with either new or custom cases. Should I avoid these?

Last edited:

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a used high-end watch from a reputable seller. Check out timezone.com and their sales forums. Buy the seller as much as the watch. I've bought and sold many watches on the site without a problem. Make sure the seller has been on the site for some time, with lots of posts and has good references. Get a three-day return privilege.

Don't buy a watch sight unseen. Buy one you have seen at an authorized dealer, try it on and decide if you like it. Then, shop around for a gently used one with box and papers. Keep in mind any high end mechanical watch will need service every 5 - 8 years and will cost over $500 for cleaning and adjusting (much more if it has complications).

Stay away from ebay!

Last edited:

antikantian

Reaction score

I am considering purchasing a used watch from a high-end manufacturer, like Patek Philppe, Audemars Piguet, or Vacheron Constantin.

I am looking in the < 5k price range.  I would like something mechanical with a leather strap and a relatively simple design.  It looks like, in this price range, that I am looking at a manual wind as opposed to automatic.

Is this a bad idea?  Is there anything I should look out for, or any other manufacturers I should consider?

Thanks

ETA: I am seeing a lot of these watches on ebay with either new or custom cases.  Should I avoid these?

Looking for a Patek for <$5k will really limit your options. The Gondolo I guess is available in this range, or some other vintage pieces; keep in mind, however, that a lot of these pieces will be very small by today's standards (31mm, etc). Also, I see a lot of Patek's on eBay that are vintage re-cases (is that what you meant by new or custom case?). That is, it was either just a Patek watch movement cased by a third-party, or re-cased pocket watch movements.

If you want something more contemporary within that price range, take a look at Jaeger LeCoultre.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a fair number of pices purchased in the second hand market. I stick with well respected sellers ... be they on TimeZone or various dealers around the country: European Watch in Boston, Wingate Watches in Dallas, etc.

One maker you might consider putting on your list is Jaeger LeCoultre. I especially like their Gentilhomme (see below) which is no longer in production but can be had on the second hand market (in 18KG for less than $5K when I last checked). An advantage -- or disadvantage depending on your view -- is that it won't be as recognized as a Patek, Vacheron, or AP. That said, JLC is certainly in the same league and has produced movements for just about everyone in the business, including Patek.

Jaeger_Gentilhomme.jpg

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good deals are available, but as has been stated already, buy from a trusted dealer or seller. Due diligence is an absolute must when purchasing a used watch. Good luck, and please be careful.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why are you interested in vintage only, what is it you like about them? Is this your first major watch purchase? I'm not sure why you think you would have to get a hand wound.
http://velociphilewatch.blogspot.ca/2005/10/guide-to-buying-watch-part-2.html

I especially like and agree with No.14 on that list: "Hold out for a 35% discount, minimum. Don't be in a rush to buy. If you look around, and bide your time, you can find almost any watch at a decent price, even the ever-elusive Portugueser."

That is especially true when buying new. It's less so when buying used ... but I still work toward getting a discount. I typically offer an amount and let them know that I'm prepared to complete the sale on the spot if we can agree on price. It often works.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you interested in vintage only, what is it you like about them? Is this your first major watch purchase? I'm not sure why you think you would have to get a hand wound.
http://velociphilewatch.blogspot.ca/2005/10/guide-to-buying-watch-part-2.html

I am not only interested in vintage, but, based on perusing ebay, it looks like that is all I will be able to get from those makers for under 5k. I also didn't see many automatics in that price range either.

I do currently own a watch, a quartz white-faced Longines with a metal bracelet (retailed for about 1k). I am not sure if that means that this is my first major purchase or not.

I am open to other makers as well, like Jaeger, as someone above suggested. I was actually able to find quite a few of these in my price range that are automatic and more modern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads