• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Business casual" in American law firm evening functions?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I guess you guys are right; the outfit is probably fine but the tie can be offputting.

European classmates and some females pay attention to visibly nice ties, though (in terms of fabric, not style). Some females seem to find the pocket square cute as well.

Dude, having a girl say something you are wearing is "cute" is the kiss of death.
10_1_104v.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Dude, having a girl say something you are wearing is "cute" is the kiss of death.
10_1_104v.gif

translation: "I've been looking FOREVER for a gay male friend, and I think you might qualify to be mine"
bored.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Haha, touche. I wonder if it's ever positive when they compliment you on something you wear.

of course it is. just not when they call your outfit "cute"

pkincy

Reaction score
You are going to get more slack than the average student as you are from the Phillipines. I doubt that the partners would be wearing a Barong when they see you in Manila.

Obviously the event was a success for you. What works works.

Having said all that I probably would wear a blazer and quality open necked shirt and dress slacks next time. Or a dress shirt and one of those cashmere sweaters you bought for the Boston winters.

Perry

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
and one of those cashmere sweaters you bought for the Boston winters. Perry
That's assuming that a cashmere sweater was actually (and finally) purchased. Just curious, after all these guys on the forum chimed in about the cashmere, which did you end up buying Jose, and do you find it suitable?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Johnston's of Elgin sweater and scarf from STP. I got it a few days ago, and the texture is incredible. I had actually picked up a grey cashmere scarf from Barney's overstock at Filene's Downtown Crossing two weeks before then for the same price, but the STP scarf was light years ahead in quality. Grey, I suppose, is hard to find in any case.

I think you're right about the outfit, though I'd substitute khakis for dress slacks. A few more weeks and I can use the sweater.

I think that what seems to work best in these events is a more restrained demeanor. Talking to the first year associate and the guy with a sport coat and graying hair in the exact same and exuberant manner does not quite sound right.

southgate house

Reaction score
I'm an associate at a law firm and think it's possible to get away with wearing ties if you have the right personality. If don't think that wearing a tie is going to pigeonhole you as a gunner if you are not a gunner.

Also, wearing a tie (obviously) looks nicer and can be done in a casual manner if the tie itself is not so formal (maybe something woven).

I work on the west coast and perhaps that has something to do with it, but i think that sometimes the advice on this board about business dress tends to be pretty conservative. I think it's possible to dress "better" than your peers without making it some type of superiority statement or expression of gunnerism. Style is a matter of confidence.

southgate house

Reaction score
jose, i would not overdo the enthusiasm with partners if it does not feel natural to you. they will pick up on it. i think they understand that there are many, many firms seeking the help of harvard law students, and are likely more eager to answer questions and explain themselves than hear about your interest in some matter that you learned about on their website that morning.

as long as your grades aren't super low, you'll have a ton of choices. remember that these events are much more about recruiting you than anything else.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, no. I think some people I see at these events are overdoing the enthusiasm, while others treat the people I think are partners somewhat the same way they do waiters or something.

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southgate house
I'm an associate at a law firm and think it's possible to get away with wearing ties if you have the right personality. If don't think that wearing a tie is going to pigeonhole you as a gunner if you are not a gunner.
I heartily endorse the above product or service. If you're a nice, pleasant human being, that will shine through. If you're an uptight pud, that'll shine through, too. Clothes can only do so much.

Caution: They may very well be looking for an uptight pud.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads