• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business casual + tie suggestions?

Street_Remote

Reaction score
I am about to start my first office job, and the dress code is "business casual" with a "tie highly recommended". Which I take as basically required:) It seems like an odd dress code, because I've always been under the impression that business professional is suit and a tie, and business casual is... well a lot of different things but usually not tie.

When I was in for my interview everyone (males) were wearing either dress pants+slacks+tie or doing a khaki+dress shirt+tie combo. Anyone else had a dress code like this? Any recommendations? I feel kind of awkward doing the tie rocking free thing, but it also seems to be the general vibe of the office so...

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new position! I think most people here (including myself) would frown on the idea of wearing a tie without a jacket. But since it's a new job, I'd consider maybe not standing out too much right away. Once your colleagues get to know you better, that would be the time to start introducing an odd jacket here and there.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you’re saying the preferred dress is tie with no jacket? That’s a bit of a douche-y look, but better than the usual uniform of chinos and polo. Even back in the days of “proper” office dress, men often took their jackets off at their desk. (See: Mad Men.) Sometimes they even rolled up their sleeves.

You could always wear a jacket to work, then remove it at your workspace. At least you’ll have it with you, so when walking around outside the office you won’t look like you time travelled from a mobile phone kiosk in a 1995 shopping mall.

rollerkilt

Reaction score
Are guys going to start wearing grey flannels for fall and winter? Are knit ties, and ties in linen, cotton, or wool going to go well?

rjc149

Reaction score
Unusual dress code indeed, especially as neckties in the workplace are slowly dying. Good opportunity to build a sport jacket wardrobe.

Wearing a tie without a jacket as the complete outfit smacks of door-to-door salesman or evangelical pastor.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a sport coat isn’t in the cards, you could look at something like armoury’s 3pb or anthology’s lazy man

edit to add link to an old but good thread.

Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
What's wrong with wearing a knitted Silk tie with a plain or simple business shirt and dark Chinos and Oxfords? WTF are Khakis?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with wearing a knitted Silk tie with a plain or simple business shirt and dark Chinos and Oxfords? WTF are Khakis?

We’ve been over this. Khakis = chinos.

if it’s good enough for Sid Mashburn it’s good enough for me.

Money quote : “I guess it gets confusing – when we say khaki.. are we talking color or style? You can have Grey khakis – Blue khakis - we even made day glo khakis one season. “

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Khaki is an Urdu word (Pakistan) that means sand colored trousers. It was adopted by the Brits for their colonizing uniforms in Africa (Boer War) in the late 19th century, then used, in a darker olive drab, by the Yanks in their own colonial adventures (Spanish American War) and later in the world wars. So it’s a color, or two shades. Not blue or grey.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Khaki is an Urdu word (Pakistan) that means sand colored trousers. It was adopted by the Brits for their colonizing uniforms in Africa (Boer War) in the late 19th century, then used, in a darker olive drab, by the Yanks in their own colonial adventures (Spanish American War) and later in the world wars. So it’s a color, or two shades. Not blue or grey.

In America khakis can be any color. Get over it everyone.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In America khakis can be any color. Get over it everyone.
Get over…what? That words have meanings? Up is never down, in can’t be out, and khaki is not navy.

The word you are looking for is chino, which properly describes durable cotton trousers, of any color.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get over…what? That words have meanings? Up is never down, in can’t be out, and khaki is not navy.

The word you are looking for is chino, which properly describes durable cotton trousers, of any color.

Read the article I linked. As I said, if Sid Mashburn is ok being “wrong” then I am too.

Panama

Reaction score
What I see in my mind when I read Khaki pants...

download (6).jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads