• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Britain's Best Dressed Real Man 2010 - Selling his prize off piece by piece...

goodbyehorses

Reaction score
Wow that was quick!

I really do appreciate that his style definitely won't be to the taste of a lot of men, it's a shame that he wore that outfit on the night of the awards in a way as most days he wears a made-to-measure suit, shirt and some expensive shoes even just to go to the supermarket or bowling (really!) but he just happened to wear his most controversial look of the year on the night that he would be photographed the most.

He would actually kill me for writing this as despite his little dance around on stage on the night he won, he'a actually really humble and would be mortified if he knew I was discussing him at all, but I suppose I felt the need to defend him as some comments (more on the other thread than this one to be honest) stray a little away from the subject matter and are verging on plain offensive. Also, didn't want my eBay udername having people thinking I was some kind of hardened criminal
wink.gif

I hope his suit minus shirt fiasco (he was actually wearing a vest underneath haha) hasn't put a complete dampener on his career as he's a really talanted womenswear designer, so we're hoping the stuff on eBay will sell and help get him started but the labels he got aren't the easiest things to sell as I'm not so sure a typical Brioni or Cucinelli customer will be the type to shop on eBay but we'll see...

Thanks for the kind words anyway
smile.gif

JensenH

Reaction score
I commend you for standing up for your b.f. You have put a human face on a public figure and hopefully the haters on this forum will cease their unwarranted attact on him.

You two seems like very nice people and I wish you the best in your personal relationship and his aspiration to design a line of clothing.

Also, welcome to the styleforum.

Regards.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goodbyehorses
Hmmm I don't really know what to say to everyone here but I'm actually Ross' girlfriend (the winner of Britain's Best Dressed Man). I'm the one selling the stuff he won on eBay using my own account (he doesn't have one).

you are awesome.

While I don't envy his style, as I don't "get it", I do envy his choice in companion as you seem to be quite a lovely human being. Good luck to the two of you and nothing wrong with monetizing something which is worthless to you.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope his suit minus shirt fiasco (he was actually wearing a vest underneath haha) hasn't put a complete dampener on his career as he's a really talanted womenswear designer...

I do hope his women's wear line includes shirtless suit looks.

Cleavage-enhancing vests underneath would be acceptable.

The Silverfox

Reaction score
Also, I'm not sure if people realise that Ross didn't receive any money to spend, it was all clothing that he didn't get to choose. As he's so skinny most items are far too big for him and others just aren't his style. It was actually my idea to sell the clothes on eBay, not his, he's really embarrassed that I had to mention the Esquire thing on eBay but I didn't know how else to list so many designer items without eBay suspecting that I was selling stolen goods. When you get £30,000 worth of clothes that aren't to your personal taste and that don't fit you, what else are you supposed to do with them?
Fair enough, it's his property to do with precisely as he wishes.
I understand that everyone has their own personal taste and a lot of people might hate the fact that he wears necklaces/headscarves/ripped jeans/suits/without shirts underneath/dressing gowns as outerwear and you have the right to your own opinion but in the same way, doesn't he have the right to wear whatever he likes to wear without having people across the internet saying really horrible things about him and judging him as a person?
Umm no, he has the right to wear whatever he wants and we have the right to say whatever we want about what he's wearing. And as a reaction to that, you have the right to say whatever you want about us. He has the right to do as he pleases, but not to demand that someone else react or refrain from reacting in a certain way. Only way to avoid that is to stay at home.
I guess you can all have whatever opinion you like, it's a free world, but I'm just trying to put things into perspective here, he's a normal, friendly guy with pretty 'quirky' style to say that least who just happened to win a competition. He hasn't done anything bad here or offended anyone (apart from wearing a suit without a shirt) If anyone is wondering what we're doing with the eBay money, Ross is using every penny to buy fabrics and material to enable him to make his first womenswear collection. A lifelong ambition he would never have been able to achieve without winning this prize. I'm sure I'll get lots of horrible replies to this based previous comments on here about him, so I won't even read them as I'll only get upset, but I couldn't carry on reading such judgemental statements without saying something to back the poor guy up.
My only "problem with him", though to call it that is quite an exageration, is that I don't think he's well dressed. That being said I think he's better dressed than the other finalists, and in any case I'm not one of the judges, nor is it my money they were giving away so it's purely my personal oppinion. As for what he does with the prizes and how he spends the money from the sale, once again it's his property to do with as he pleases. I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd kept the watch, or blown the entire sales-revenue on a crazy party. I hope he has all the luck in the world with his collection and I think his extravagant and original taste will be well suited for designing womenswear. EDIT: Quick disclamer, I've only seen one or two photos of him, which undoubtedly were the more outrageous of the selection. I'm sure I'd object less to his style if I actually saw a representative selection of what he wears. And yes what mostly did it for me was the lack of a shirt. Other than that i have little basis for critiquing anyones personality, you seem like a lovely woman and I'm sure he's just as lovely a fellow. P.S. I support the petition for shirtless looks in his womenswear collection.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
you are awesome.

While I don't envy his style, as I don't "get it", I do envy his choice in companion as you seem to be quite a lovely human being. Good luck to the two of you and nothing wrong with monetizing something which is worthless to you.

+1000

good luck

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are awesome.

Originally Posted by Dewey
+1000

good luck

Thirded.

We can be a bunch of sissies here, sometimes, attacking character or appearance rather than clothing.

Some if it might even be shrouded jealously that we're not the recipient of the UK prize, which was far better than what Esquire US offered.

That said, I find his clothing is far out and not to my tastes.

But Kudos to him for winning, and for having a lovely sidekick.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are awesome.

+4, good luck on the sales and the venture.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier

We can be a bunch of sissies here, sometimes, attacking character or appearance rather than clothing.

Exactly. How many times did the US winner get called a douche?

HHD

Reaction score
Hmmm I don't really know what to say to everyone here but I'm actually Ross' girlfriend (the winner of Britain's Best Dressed Man). I'm the one selling the stuff he won on eBay using my own account (he doesn't have one).

Just to clear a few things up, 'stayoutofjail' is actually the name of a local band I used to like years ago and I've had that username since I was 17 years old. It's not ideal but I'm stuck with it now!

Also, I'm not sure if people realise that Ross didn't receive any money to spend, it was all clothing that he didn't get to choose. As he's so skinny most items are far too big for him and others just aren't his style. It was actually my idea to sell the clothes on eBay, not his, he's really embarrassed that I had to mention the Esquire thing on eBay but I didn't know how else to list so many designer items without eBay suspecting that I was selling stolen goods.

When you get £30,000 worth of clothes that aren't to your personal taste and that don't fit you, what else are you supposed to do with them?

And for anyone doubting Ross' character, he's actually a really nice, genuine person and I think you'd all feel pretty bad for judging him as a person if you knew him. For a start he immediately gave the £5000 Longines watch to his dad without a second thought.

I understand that everyone has their own personal taste and a lot of people might hate the fact that he wears necklaces/headscarves/ripped jeans/suits/without shirts underneath/dressing gowns as outerwear and you have the right to your own opinion but in the same way, doesn't he have the right to wear whatever he likes to wear without having people across the internet saying really horrible things about him and judging him as a person?

I guess you can all have whatever opinion you like, it's a free world, but I'm just trying to put things into perspective here, he's a normal, friendly guy with pretty 'quirky' style to say that least who just happened to win a competition. He hasn't done anything bad here or offended anyone (apart from wearing a suit without a shirt)

If anyone is wondering what we're doing with the eBay money, Ross is using every penny to buy fabrics and material to enable him to make his first womenswear collection. A lifelong ambition he would never have been able to achieve without winning this prize.

I'm sure I'll get lots of horrible replies to this based previous comments on here about him, so I won't even read them as I'll only get upset, but I couldn't carry on reading such judgemental statements without saying something to back the poor guy up.

That's one of the most civilised things anyone has posted here for ages. Thanks for contributing and good luck with the sale!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads