• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question maybe you gentlemen can answer. I just started grad school and I've been looking around for some "nice" briefcases. In many of the ones I have examined, the inside divider feels like they have a cardboard insert sandwiched between some cloth. Is this a normal standard? Does this in any way determine the overall quality?

munshpe

Reaction score
I've seem some good quality birefcases with cardboard inserts covered with leather and cloth--I think it's the norm for most production briefcases. I've had a few also (well, more than a few!). The disadvantage to them is that the cardboard can warp over time causing the whole insert to warp.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ThinkDerm, could you give us a lowdown on where's the best place to look for good leather stuff in Florence. Have heard they're clustered along cloisters and housed in not-so-easy-to-find locations. Any good ones you know of?

what are you looking for in particular?

I did not see much at the leather stalls.

consider ugolini (closed both times I was there): Via Michelozzi 17r - 50125 Florence, Italy
HF (also closed)

tie your tie

Manina Shoes: via Guicciardini, 16r (between Pitti Palace and Ponte Vecchio)

belts:
Marcus - belts and gloves
where: Borgo San Lorenzo, 29r (near Duomo)

there are the glove spots everyone talks about:

Madova (since 1919) - belts and gloves in Florence
where: via Guicciardini, 1r (near Ponte Vecchio)

Martelli Glove Factory - belts and gloves in Florence
where: via Por Santa Maria, 18r (street going to Ponte Vecchio)

the big shoe stops

it's a small town with most of the main shopping in one area. easily viewable for everything but the most off the beaten path (and those I do not know of)

there are spots outside of florence...

also!! there is the leather university / school of florence: Piazza di Santa Croce, 16 50122 Florence, Italy | http://www.florencewebguide.com/florence-leather-school.html#sthash.9lD6riP0.dpbs

also consider jewelry...

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...contentpos=53&cgid=mens-featured-Leather-Shop

Does anyone know who makes this for Peal? Thank you

dibadiba

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I have a question maybe you gentlemen can answer. I just started grad school and I've been looking around for some "nice" briefcases. In many of the ones I have examined, the inside divider feels like they have a cardboard insert sandwiched between some cloth. Is this a normal standard? Does this in any way determine the overall quality?

I recently made (what I hope is a very high quality) briefcase with a stiffener, so hopefully I can provide some insight.

The first is, nice leather isn't always thick or firm. English bridle is something you see often, and it's typically both firm AND thick, and often finished on the flesh side too, so it needs neither a lining nor a stiffener. With that said, something like the french boxcalf I used is fairly firm but isn't very thick...<2mm or so. The lining is an extremely soft suede, so it really doesn't add much heft to the outer when glued together. If I want a fairly firm or rigid briefcase made using such materials, I will use something like a bonded leather stiffener or a 2oz veg-tan stiffener between the outer and the lining to add firmness. There are indeed synthetics available for this purpose , so I can't comment on the specific briefcases you looked at as I have no idea what the brands may or may not be using. Leather of course will cost more than these synthetics to use, as far as I know.

Leather is a breathable material, but keep in mind briefcases aren't like shoes that have sweaty feet and moisture in them and require breathability for long term wear. My concern would be the material becoming warped over time, but honestly as a grad school student, I doubt you're going to be throwing your briefcase around or taking it on hikes. I don't think you have too much to be concerned about. It really will depend on the brand. I would be more concerned about the outer material and the lining material rather than the stiffener.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently made (what I hope is a very high quality) briefcase with a stiffener, so hopefully I can provide some insight.

The first is, nice leather isn't always thick or firm. English bridle is something you see often, and it's typically both firm AND thick, and often finished on the flesh side too, so it needs neither a lining nor a stiffener. With that said, something like the french boxcalf I used is fairly firm but isn't very thick...<2mm or so. The lining is an extremely soft suede, so it really doesn't add much heft to the outer when glued together. If I want a fairly firm or rigid briefcase made using such materials, I will use something like a bonded leather stiffener or a 2oz veg-tan stiffener between the outer and the lining to add firmness. There are indeed synthetics available for this purpose , so I can't comment on the specific briefcases you looked at as I have no idea what the brands may or may not be using. Leather of course will cost more than these synthetics to use, as far as I know.

Leather is a breathable material, but keep in mind briefcases aren't like shoes that have sweaty feet and moisture in them and require breathability for long term wear. My concern would be the material becoming warped over time, but honestly as a grad school student, I doubt you're going to be throwing your briefcase around or taking it on hikes. I don't think you have too much to be concerned about. It really will depend on the brand. I would be more concerned about the outer material and the lining material rather than the stiffener.

Awesome. Thanks for the great response.

I'm leaning towards Visconti briefcases and read good reviews on them. I checked some of their products back in the states and think I'll order them online. Has anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.viscontibags.co.uk/?do=catalogue&qs[typem]=Men%27s%20Briefcases]http://www.viscontibags.co.uk/?do=catalogue&qs[typem]=Men%27s%20Briefcases

jwong6590

Reaction score
I am now seriously considering getting a custom made briefcase from JP Marcellino. Is there any reason I should not pull the trigger?

adamantine

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your leather bags from?

I am looking to replace the one I have. I would prefer a briefcase bag that can double as a sling bag too. Sorry if that offends any classic briefcase aficionados here, but I prefer to sling my bag than carry it in my hands :p

I am from Singapore though, so it would be good if shops can be found locally or shipping is not ridiculously expensive.

Are shops like fossil and coach reliable in terms of product quality and last?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try this guy:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RFClark

He made me a briefcase that I really like.

Pictures in this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/351957/rf-clark-saddlery-briefcase-and-belts

Where do you guys get your leather bags from?

I am looking to replace the one I have. I would prefer a briefcase bag that can double as a sling  bag too. Sorry if that offends any classic briefcase aficionados here, but I prefer to sling my bag than carry it in my hands :p

I am from Singapore though, so it would be good if shops can be found locally or shipping is not ridiculously expensive.

Are shops like fossil and coach reliable in terms of product quality and last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads