• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My go to midweek bourbon for a while was the Old Forester 1920. Anyone had recent production? Frankly I’ve got a backlog of enough great stuff to not need to buy but I still do occasionally.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A minor part of the whisky collection I will one day inherit.

3F90EEA6-57D4-4D73-83D1-A74CC13AF7B9.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sipping a Maker's 46 Private Barrel selection with oak staves picked by some master blender dude to tailor the oak treatment. Cost me $70 yesterday. It's ******* good. Very elegant with no burn even though it's cask strength at 53%. Vanilla, orange rind, and a baking spice I've not quite isolated somewhere along the five spice to clove spectrum. Really smooth and would buy again.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sipping a Maker's 46 Private Barrel selection with oak staves picked by some master blender dude to tailor the oak treatment. Cost me $70 yesterday. It's ******* good. Very elegant with no burn even though it's cask strength at 53%. Vanilla, orange rind, and a baking spice I've not quite isolated somewhere along the five spice to clove spectrum. Really smooth and would buy again.
You’re welcome.

That Maker’s line is my new favorite. I had one from a local store that was called “Mocha Wheater”. Tasted real close to some Pappy. And for $70 or so, I went back and got like 6 bottles. I’ve had a few others and some were close but not quite my Mocha Wheater.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sorry, manq, I'll have to stop skipping your posts in this thread. :(

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That is seriously good ****. I'll look for other oak stave bottlings.

I do hate that bourbon has jumped so much though. I mean, 10 years ago I was buying Pappy 15 for $50 and thinking that was outrageous. The bottle of 15 year old Orphan Barrel I bought two years ago for $125 is now $400. It's just stupid.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This the one from K&L?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Total Wine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would have been but we bought the last two bottles! One for me, one for my neighbor. If it comes back in stock you're on.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a recent Booker's release (Teresa's) and was pleasantly surprised. I've always gone to Booker's for cocktails given the proof, but this was my first bottle in many years. I like barrel proof spirits, but there's a burn here that calls for a taming (cue an oversized ice cube for a little chill and slow melt). I rarely find bourbons on the shelf these days that I'm very fond of, and am pleased I revisited Bookers. Looks like I need to pick up a Shiney Barrel as well.

Anyone here had the Hancock President's Reserve Single Barrel?

I’m a little late to this, but I enjoy Hancock’s Reserve- as @Dusty Heaters said, it’s in the same mashbill as Blantons/RHF/ETL/Ancient Age (mashbill 2). I did a side by side with Blanton and Ancient Age, and it’s kind of a “Blantons lite”- some similar notes. I liked it personally, but it surprised me how much I liked the Ancient Age considering it’s $10 and readily available.

Just discovered this thread, shouldn’t surprise me that there’s a bourbon thread here lol. Trying the new Baker’s single barrel today, this one is 8.5 years/107 proof:
5B551DF2-CF08-4D41-9FF4-622ABA863024.jpeg

I haven’t had the regular Baker’s and can’t compare the two, but this is pretty tasty. I get lots of oak and leather and some honey out of this. Don’t know that I’d pay the $60+ price I saw reported several months ago, but in the $40 range (picked it up for $45 after tax), I’d keep buying this. The bottle redesign looks great on the bar, which isn’t worth anything, but still.

The cigar is straight ?- Arturo Fuente Chateau Series King B belicoso that a buddy gave me this weekend. I’m having to read a binder worth of stuff for later this week, but this and the 78* weather with a breeze is making that task very enjoyable.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A minor part of the whisky collection I will one day inherit.

View attachment 1274289

pretty solid, do you know what batch that Stagg Jr is? I have 11 and 12, both are pretty great.

killed a bottle of Blantons this weekend with a buddy of mine, still have 2 unopened in reserve. Since I’ll probably never find all the letters, I’ve been thinking about ordering the letter set and that base from Buffalo Trace.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pretty solid, do you know what batch that Stagg Jr is? I have 11 and 12, both are pretty great.

killed a bottle of Blantons this weekend with a buddy of mine, still have 2 unopened in reserve. Since I’ll probably never find all the letters, I’ve been thinking about ordering the letter set and that base from Buffalo Trace.
Still have yet to see Stagg or Blantons in SoCal on shelves (for less than a 100%markup)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads