• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

honestpanda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm curious to hear opinions on how much of a step up (if at all) any of you kind enough to respond would consider a pair of Viberg Service boots from Alden Indy's.

I'm shopping for a casual, plain toe boot to be worn with nothing dressier than a button down/chinos. Because I have deep-seated issues AE, Carmina, and Alden haven't quite hit the spot for me yet so I've been considering Viberg.

If anyone has any suggestions on bootmakers I might want to consider besides Viberg, please chime in too.

Thanks!

I have Vibergs and I love them and haven’t had any issues 8 pairs in. But they’re not the only makers of that aesthetic and would consider White’s, Wesco, and John Lofgren.

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm curious to hear opinions on how much of a step up (if at all) any of you kind enough to respond would consider a pair of Viberg Service boots from Alden Indy's.

I'm shopping for a casual, plain toe boot to be worn with nothing dressier than a button down/chinos. Because I have deep-seated issues AE, Carmina, and Alden haven't quite hit the spot for me yet so I've been considering Viberg.

If anyone has any suggestions on bootmakers I might want to consider besides Viberg, please chime in too.

Thanks!
Not sure exactly what you deep-seated issues are, but have you considered Grant Stone’s Diesel plain-toed boots? I have them in several colors. Perfect for jeans and chinos IMHO. You could probably get 2 pair for the coin you would pay for Vibergs. Get two colors!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I think you haven't mentioned a lot of things that would be really helpful in getting feedback.

- what about the list of companies (and especially the indy) isn't hitting the spot?
- what do you mean by 'step-up'? Is it quality? Interesting silhouette? Comfort?
- which viberg service boot? Leather and last make a difference

That said, IME indys are a tad bit dressier than plain toe vibergs, but not as dressy as the captoes. Quality is about the same depending on if you get a good shoe from Alden the first time around (not always guaranteed). Bang for your buck is Alden imo as you can get shell for the same price as viberg. Viberg is also heavier, but some will say they're more comfortable out of the box. I also think Vibergs are a lot cooler and rarer than Indys, which are at almost every jcrew in the country. I also think the makeups are cooler with Viberg as they give more leeway to smaller shops to order cool stuff, and have rad MTO. I have the oiled rough out indy and a tan rough out plain toe service boot.

With regards to Grant Stone - I have theblack cxl diesels. They're a great shoe, but I just don't see them as interesting or special as the others. They're fine, wear well, fit comfortably, etc. They have very standard leather choices (hopefully they expand on this in the future) and frankly, just don't feel as cool.

emptym

Reaction score
Shell boots by @DWFII, still going strong at almost 8 yrs:
IMG_4899.jpg

I wore them a few times in the rain the past few weeks, then rubbed a bit of Bick 4 in a few days ago. I don't think I've ever used cream or polish on them, except the sole edges. And they've seen some tough use on a motorcycle and doing construction.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those certainly are - and beautiful dress boots. But @Bob21 said he was shopping for a casual boot to be worn with button down / chinos, and rejected the Carmina offering(s) because it/they were "definitely dress boots". I'm wondering which models he was referring to, as Carmina certainly offers a broad range of options that are NOT dress boots.

In trying to elaborate further - the problem I had with the AE and Carmina is that they're definitely dress boots and feel as such.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In trying to elaborate further - the problem I had with the AE and Carmina is that they're definitely dress boots and feel as such.
My quote regarding AE/Carmina is related to the boots I own, which are actually cap-toe jumpers but not @Misterg12 's, not in regard to the brands as a whole.

Nice boots though, @Misterg12 !

Right - so which Carmina boots are "clearly dress boots" - surely not the jumpers?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Bob21 here are Carmina jumpers paired with moleskins. These are clearly not dress boots and clearly are just as appropriately paired with the button down / chinos combo you referenced.

orig.jpg

Carmina Frankenstitch CXL jumpers - also clearly not dress boots.

orig.jpg

Buy what you like, naturally. But maybe also examine your criteria for defining "dress boots'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads