1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bonjour Montréal

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fabienne, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

2. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

No person who has lived here more than 5 minutes understands where this stereotype comes from. It is know as being the worst place to go in this city... for strippers, for anything. They love to treat people horribly, if you're American the bouncers are literally just waiting for you to say something wrong and they'll throw you down the stairs. If you really want to go to a strip club, there are like 10 places far better than super sex.

I'm guessing it's just hte named of the club?

Well, last time I was there was in like 1994, and I think it burned down or something since then. When I was there, it was pretty good I thought.

So...what are the 10 places? [​IMG]

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Geneva is a trip, a civilised Thailand, so to speak.
    Vienna has always had a reputation as well. And Zurich.

4. muelleran

muelleran Senior member

Vienna has always had a reputation as well. And Zurich.

Things were more interesting in Zurich when this place was still a strip club:

[​IMG]

I was a bit younger then, too...

5. muelleran

muelleran Senior member

Things were more interesting in Zurich when this place was still a strip club: [​IMG] I was a bit younger then, too...
    I foregot to tell the story of the russian businessmen who spent 25 000 Francs on a new year's eve there. Things are coming back to me now.... Today it is just a restaurant and cafe. They boast their tea collection.[​IMG]

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It's terribly bourgeois, isn't it?

But then strip clubs have a Lynchian/Belle de Jour bourgeois aspect too.

7. muelleran

muelleran Senior member

I finally found a picture of the outside of the Cafe Terasse (former Strip Club Terasse).
    It can hardly get more bourgeois, because the club was located inside the former Grand Hotel Bellevue, that closed down in the beginning of the last century:

[​IMG]

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

This reminds me of the El Dorado nightclub in Weimar Berlin, which was the locale where Otto Dix did his first major work:

[​IMG]

It was also the setting for the portrait of Count St.Genois de Anneaucourt, an Austro-Hungarian aristocrat displaced after the war.

[​IMG]

9. muelleran

muelleran Senior member

Across from Terasse we have the Cafe Odeon, where Thomas Mann, Richard Wagner, Lenin, Einstein, James Joyce and the Dadaists liked to spend their time, among others. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

And we can't forget the Cabaret Voltaire:

[​IMG]

11. muelleran

muelleran Senior member

12. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I stopped checking the internet during my week in MontrÃ[​IMG]al, so I didn't read some of the recs on time, but thank you. I should have started the thread earlier.

I found a Sarah Pacini skirt a Ogilvy (50% off), the matching jacket at the Sarah Pacini store on Peel. Several pieces of jewelry at the marchÃ[​IMG] Bonsecours (Meto), also had to get a Merde il pleut umbrella. Visited Holt, great sales, but was unwilling to spend over 2000 dollars on the one dress I liked, very tempted by some Etro men's belt at 50% off. Fun second hand stores on St Laurent, loved, as always, the used bookstores on St Denis. Found a little something for my husband at that L'Uomo store on Peel, great service, by the way, good conversation about the world cup. A few other insignificant items here and there, DVDs, etc.

To all of you Canadians: Congratulations on an awsome city!