• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boat shoes vs loafers

lepermessiah

Reaction score

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boat shoes are played out. Get loafers.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still wear my brick red sperrys out to the beach and on picnics. Wearing expensive shoes to places where they can get trashed just doesn't make sense.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
I still wear my brick red sperrys out to the beach and on picnics. Wearing expensive shoes to places where they can get trashed just doesn't make sense.

Well made shoes will stand up to most things you throw at them. Cheap shoes will fall apart no matter where you wear them.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Well made shoes will stand up to most things you throw at them. Cheap shoes will fall apart no matter where you wear them.

I really don't see how a pair of Alden loafers will stand up to beach soccer/rugby and/or getting getting beer spilt all over them. I save my expensive shoes for the office.

Brattman

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

miran

Reaction score
I really don't see how a pair of Alden loafers will stand up to beach soccer/rugby and/or getting getting beer spilt all over them. I save my expensive shoes for the office.
i was like you during my teenage years...and my Italian mom always thought I was so strange...."are you building a shoe museum?".... when I was in Capri in 2008, on the beach, i saw a gentleman arrive at the seashore with his family....possibly after church since it was sunday (no work)....he had on the most beautiful pair of suede shoes I'd ever seen....he took them off, took off socks, placed them on a large rock on the shore, and went swimming with his kids....came back, sat on rock, picked up shoes, and walked away.... so effortless, so natural, and the shoes took no visible damage... I think it's all in the wearer with good shoes and how you are brought up to think of them....

david123

Reaction score
Have you ever seen the Fins in person? I'm interested in them too, though not that particular style. I wish they were stocked somewhere accessible in the US.

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miran

he took them off, took off socks, placed them on a large rock on the shore....

...and the shoes took no visible damage...

WTF did you expect to happen to the shoes when they were on the rock?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is no reason to play soccer or rugby in any loafers - it wouldn't be comfortable or practical. As for the beer (or puke, or whatever) of course they would stand up to it. If you want to, clean it off and polish them; if not, call it patina.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I have both. Ive found thats the best option.
wink.gif

blonde or brunette? BOTH!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads