1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black Tie Help?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by defkonz, May 15, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lose, for the same reasons. Not appropriate to the event/occasion/venue.

2. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

My issue with the whole question of "appropriate" in these cases is this: there are few, if any, who still host black tie functions for small, intimate gatherings, which means that these versions either have to be rendered obsolete or must be considered acceptable under a wider variety of circumstances. Personally, I think that with the world going casual in ways never before imagined, that this form of dress should be considered acceptable in public, much the way that slacks and a collared shirt has come to replace the suit in many business environments and designer jeans have come to replace slacks in five star restaurants.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Personally I think there's just very little use for smoking jackets and velvet slippers these days. I think the better idea is to adapt those same items to informal wear - I have house shoes that are suede but could easily be made of velvet that I wear when entertaining at home in non-black-tie gear. Likewise my non-smoking-jacket velvet jacket, which I will wear with black trousers and a white shirt, usually without tie, out at night. Better that than forcing an at-home-black-tie get-up into other black-tie situations, when there are so few of those remaining to begin with. If your goal is to save the smoking jacket and velvet slipper from extinction, you'll need another outlet other than making them acceptable at public black-tie affairs.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  4. TimelesStyle

Personally, I can't imagine using them for most black tie events. Ok, a New Year's Eve party maybe (regardless of whether it's in someone's home or at a more public venue) but as you said, there are so few black tie events these days that I'll use my tux.

The other reason I think it works on Plummer, though, is simply the fact that he's an old person, and old people can get away with a lot of things younger people can't simply because they're old. The senior chairman of a financial services firm showing up in his golf clothes because he's old and only comes to the office because it feels weird to not go to the office is totally fine while a 45yr old managing director showing up to a potential client meeting in same would be highly inappropriate in most settings.

5. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Velvet slippers are correct for black tie though I don't wear them. For me, the problem with that ensemble is that it would be most excellent if he were lounging around at home after dinner drinking port with a bunch of friends in his personal smoking room. For the same reason, it's kind of a fail at the biggest and most public black-tie event in the world. But I suppose he gets a couple of FU points for consistency.

You don't know that. Maybe you just don't get invited.

Well, me neither. But it would be great to revive this. I suggest you invite all your tuxedo-owning friends to a black-tie dinner party.

And you consider this a good thing that we should encourage? Business casual? Designer jeans in Michelin-starred restaurants? Frankly, I'm against it.

6. SMatthews

SMatthews Well-Known Member

That is true - a dinner jacket is very different from a blazer.

7. TimelesStyle

Well, I'm personally a jeans guy, though I don't believe in "business casual" as a style of dress; for me it's either jeans or suits. That being said, I'll wear jeans in places where it was once considered unacceptable but will also wear suits in places slacks and a jacket would be the norm. Basically I'm arrogant enough (and a good enough dresser) that I feel it acceptable to substitute my own judgement for past/present societal norms.

8. mjjo

mjjo Active Member

i'm a jeans guy myself, i hardly wear chinos even when it's too warm outside. but if it boils down to a suit jacket and blazer, it's hands down the suit for me.