1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black Tie Help?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by defkonz, May 15, 2012.

1. defkonz

defkonz New Member

Hey guys, I've been a longtime reader but I finally felt the need to post a question. I'm in need of a tuxedo, and am running out of time to explore my options. I've pretty much got my heart set on a midnight navy shawl collar tuxedo, and after spending almost a month of looking I've learned how hard these are to come across (in the right size). I've only managed to come across a blazer and I was wondering if it was acceptable to wear a midnight navy shawl collar blazer, and black tuxedo pants together? I really appreciate your help!

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. defkonz

defkonz New Member

Could you give an answer that's a little more in depth?

4. Rolex Luthor

Rolex Luthor Senior member

I assume you mean a midnight blue dinner jacket, not a blazer. Those are two different things and SF is unforgiving in pointing that out.

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if it's OK to wear a midnight blue dinner jacket with black trousers. I asked the same question a while back after I found a great midnight blue shawl collar DJ in a thrift store without matching trousers. I was told it is not OK. But someone also posted a pic of Christopher Plummer doing so at the Oscars, and he looked pretty good.

So: If you have the panache of Christopher Plummer, feel free. Otherwise, use caution.

5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Yes. You are good to go. Have FUN!

6. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

If it's a velvet smoking jacket type dinner jacket, then I wouldn't wear anything but black formal trousers. However if it's a regular wool one then no. Incidentally, I've seen midnight dinner suits with shawl collars at H&M, not sure if they still make them.

7. defkonz

defkonz New Member

The one I have in mind is a wool one. Darn, i figured black satin/grossgrain lapels would go well enough with black pants. And I will definitely check out my local H&M asap. Thanks!

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I was in one recently and didn't see anything like that, they just turn over stuff very quickly and don't keep any pieces around too long.

They do have some linen suits I would be tempted by if the trousers weren't more or less leggings.

9. defkonz

defkonz New Member

Sorry my mistake! I always figured dinner jackets were a textured material like velvet though. I really appreciate your input thanks.

10. TimelesStyle

That's true. And I only saw them at some of the bigger stores anyways. Might be worth a shot, especially if seeking an odd size.

11. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Just to confirm: +1

12. Needsmoreshoes

Needsmoreshoes Senior member

I'd recommend trying to find one with peak lapels - think they look a bit more interesting, particularly with the midnight blue.

If this thread is still kicking around when you do find one could you please post the brand you go for? I'm looking for a similar tux but I can't find many options and money is seriously tight right now.

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Black tie really isn't that hard to pull off, but there are a few basic rules to follow. Wearing a tuxedo is one of them. A tuxedo must have matching jacket and trousers. Consult http://www.blacktieguide.com/ for more information.

ETA: Of course there is the warm weather/tropical tuxedo variation of wearing a white jacket with black pants. However, it isn't summer yet, and the acceptable option here seems to be a white/ivory jacket with black pants. Also, I believe the jacket and pants are still supposed to match (in material, obviously dyed a different color). Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  14. TimelesStyle

Not sure about that, but you left out the other place in which non-matching pieces are acceptable and that is when using a velvet smoking-style jacket which could be black, dark blue, dark plum or even burgundy.

15. fashionsnob

fashionsnob Well-Known Member

I would also say no to midnight blue Dinner Jacket and black trousers, although I must say that Christopher Plummer pulled this look of quite well.
    [​IMG]

16. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Note that he is wearing a velvet DJ with his black pants. (Obviously, I hope, you can't wear a velvet DJ with velvet pants.) This is semi-correct except that velvet DJs are only supposed to be worn at private gatherings among friends. Mr. Plummer is, no doubt, extremely popular. But the Oscars still don't qualify.

There are three ways it is more-or-less acceptable to wear a DJ with non-matching pants: When you are wearing a white DJ, When you are wearing a velvet DJ and when you are wearing a Black Watch DJ. Otherwise, not.

So no, you can't wear a midnight blue DJ and black pants, it will look ridiculous. Trust me on this. You should also know that midnight blue, shawl lapel tuxedos are pretty rare so you are going to have a very hard time finding one OTR.

Herein follows the obligatory recommendation of http://www.blacktieguide.com

17. unbelragazzo

To clarify, I was assuming that the jacket was wool when I responded. I also support wearing a midnight blue velvet jacket with black pants. In fact I'm having a one button peak lapel midnight blue velvet jacket made right now that I will probably wear exclusively with black pants.

18. TimelesStyle

Out of curiosity, what facings will you use?

I think that a dark blue velvet DJ is very underrated (seems most that do velvet go burgundy or black); just as midnight wool is said to look "blacker than black" in artificial light I feel that dark blue velvet takes on an almost purplish hue and has a very luxurious look to it.

19. unbelragazzo

No facings, it's all velvet.

20. TimelesStyle

So does he earn or lose extra points for also utilizing a velvet evening slipper?