• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bizarre foods that you really enjoy

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I never really considered most game food "bizarre." I've eaten my share of bear, moose, venison, game fish, game fowls, and rabbit.

Maybe this is a completely inaccurate misconception, but I'd imagine that for the general population, it's more accepted/run of the mill in Canada than it is here.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Game for the most part in the states is rare even venison ( rare in the fact grocery stores or resturants really don't carry them.)

I don't think game is bizarre like grub worms

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ go *************

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goji berries are kind of eccentric but taste really good. I'll put 'em in tea, or eat them by the handful in trail mix. Been doing this for years, since I live near a chinatown where I get them for really, really cheap.

They're starting to be trendy now. Online sites and bookstores are making ridiculous claims about their health benefits, and now nutrition stores and Whole Foods carry them for like $20 / pound. I pay about 1/10th of that. If they have half the anti-oxidants that many nutritionists say, then they make blueberries look like candycorn.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does bear meat taste like?

airborne

Reaction score
Tripes

Kidneys with mandarin oranges

Shark tail

Date liquor

Some German stuff:

Kefir

Heaven and Earth - that's a dish made with potatoes, apples and blood sausage.

Pannasch (spelling?) - that's basically coagulated blood fried in some oil

Harzer cheese - you can smell it a mile away
eek.gif

Pig feat - usually in a very thick pea soup

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i like the taste of gamey meat. I think more people should open up and try it.
I don't support hunting endangered species though and things like bush meat are just fucked up.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Maybe this is a completely inaccurate misconception, but I'd imagine that for the general population, it's more accepted/run of the mill in Canada than it is here.

Originally Posted by Maharlika
What does bear meat taste like?

K, you could well be correct.

Bear meat varies. Probably based on age, sex, and diet. One of my sisters is the family's best cook for game meat, as she lives in northern Ontario, and her husband is a major hunter. My favorite bear dishes are a stew and also a roast. Moose can be dry. She uses bacon to make great moose steaks.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
K, you could well be correct.

Bear meat varies. Probably based on age, sex, and diet. One of my sisters is the family's best cook for game meat, as she lives in northern Ontario, and her husband is a major hunter. My favorite bear dishes are a stew and also a roast. Moose can be dry. She uses bacon to make great moose steaks.

Thanks Piobaire--Living in L.A., it's unlikely that I'll get a chance to eat bear meat. I was just curious weather the taste would be 'gamey' like deer/ goat or taste more like beef.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Thanks Piobaire--Living in L.A., it's unlikely that I'll get a chance to eat bear meat. I was just curious weather the taste would be 'gamey' like deer/ goat or taste more like beef.

I've eaten plenty of goat, and bear, moose, and venison are all much less pungent than goat! Venison is like moose, much leaner than beef or pork, so cooking technique is very important.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goat is kind of in a different category of "flavor". I still enjoy it when I can get it. And goats make some of the best cheese ever.

Venison, rabbit, and duck are my favorite game meats (although, I've not had bear). I don't think I could ever tire of eating duck, game or farm raised. I remember when I was little, I had to chew carefully so I didn't crack a tooth on the shot pellets in the duck. Goose is good too, as is pheasant, but duck is my favorite.

Rabbit is something fantastic too. My family would raise fresh rabbits when I was a kid. That was always a treat to eat bugs bunny.

I used to work with a guy that loved to hunt. He'd bring in venison summer sausage he'd make and sell it for 5 or 10 bucks a roll. Dude was country as a chicken coop and wow was that sausage fantastic. It had that real nice strong flavor to it.

None of these things are bizarre though. Eating mac and cheese with ketchup is bizarre.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads