• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

birkenstocks: yay or nay

emptym

Reaction score
I have a pair and love them, but mostly as house slippers. Imo, some styles are great, some are hideous.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
I just think people that critique things in such black and white terms have a lack of personal opinion, confidence in their own dress habits and worry far too much about what their guido friends think!.

Nonsense. they're ugly as ****. in this case, the cigar is just a cigar dr. freud.

mink31

Reaction score
For all the naysayers: are you opposed to the whole concept of "sandal" or "clog," or do you hate them for their association with hippies? (To me, at least, their hippie status is lost when I see one out every two baby boomers in my conservative WASP town rockin them.)
Any other reasons?

Personally, I don't know of a better-made (read: all natural materials and long-wearing), more comfortable sandal. This forum seems to value quality above all, so I'm not understanding all the hate--although I am in SW&D, where this might not hold as much sway.

If anyone can recommend a better sandal, I'm all ears.

[__G__]

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
I think Birky's require a certain amount confidence and stylistic skill to pull off, the same people who hate Birk's probably also fall into the skinny jean hate group. I just think people that critique things in such black and white terms have a lack of personal opinion, confidence in their own dress habits and worry far too much about what their guido friends think!.

I'm using my first post here to say that I mostly agree with you, except for the skinny jean part. From my own experience, I consider Birkenstocks to be a part of the anti-skinny jean movement, since they always seem to become stylish just when skinny jeans are on their way out.

Personally, I wore a lot of skinny jeans during the late '70's/early '80's and hated Birkenstocks when they came back into style. This was mainly because I had climbed on board the pretentious culture of the eighties, when sandals seem to almost disappear completely and showing your feet in public was in bad taste. Once I got over that, I came to the conclusion that I never want to wear skinny jeans again (still hate 'em today), but I think that Birkenstocks are great, whether they're considered stylish or not, although I only wear mine in an extremely casual manner.

I think that what we like, or dislike, has a lot to do with the influences of our childhood. However, it's my opinion that there are many people who like skinny jeans and hate Birkenstocks today, but nevertheless, will be the first on the block to own a pair of Birkenstocks, and to dis skinny jeans, once the trends start heading back in that direction. I just ignore it all and find myself better off for it.

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
Personally, I don't know of a better-made (read: all natural materials and long-wearing), more comfortable sandal. This forum seems to value quality above all, so I'm not understanding all the hate--although I am in SW&D, where this might not hold as much sway.
I'm sure it's because a lot of us do not find them attractive and will never wear it.

lynchpatrickj

Reaction score
They're pretty gross looking sandals.

As a naysayer, I dislike them because they're ugly. The hippie connotation is neither here nor there, because everything 'hippie' is also ugly. To dissent from Rye GB et. al., in my opinion it's not "nonconformist" to wear ugly things.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm yet to see Birks well executed IRL. I used to be a Jesus looking hippie type and wore Birkenstocks throughout college. Chacos annoy me infinitely more than Birkenstock. WTF is up with that toe strap at the front?!

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm as far away as one can be to a hippy etc & guess what.. I've been wearing Birks for the last 10years!

They are great in the summer as they also have support!

Recently picked up a pair in red felt for the apartment.
L1080586W.jpg

Spirit of 69

Reaction score
A definite NAY! In Sweden, the only people who wear them are nurses on duty and other people in indoor "walking about jobs". I've never seen anyone in Sweden wearing them as street shoes.
Sandals are just plain ugly.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^did you miss that gladiator type sandals was the fashionista thing in stockholm last summer? I think birks will come more and more as "street shoes" here, especially when the tighty pants, pointy shoes look is dying down.
Ive worn birks as street shoes for several years, in sweden, and am not a nurse...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my bostons, really nice leather
Internet005-1.jpg
and ramses (with a nudie shirt! would not wear that today..)
indigoex.jpg
old pic!
wdwt89.jpg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
Yay!
Love my arizonas. I wonder, though, if I can ever get away with the clogs.

Of course you could. Wide pants, a nice shirts and leather clogs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads